Thursday, February 3, 2011

ME AND MY SHADOW

This is an interlude of sorts. I have long resisted this, but having been seeing myself referenced in rather unnatural positions on the Internet (those Googling me will know what I am talking about), I cannot resist the temptation to... no, not to defend myself, which is a no-no!, but to quote Nietzsche's Preface to Ecce Homo
Seeing that, before long, I must confront humanity with the most difficult demand ever made of it, it seems necessary to me to say who I am. Really, one should know it, for I have not left myself without a testimony. But the disproportion between the greatness of my task and the smallness of my contemporaries has found expression in the fact that one has neither heard nor even seen me. Under the circumstances, I have a duty, against which my habits, and even more the pride of my instincts, revolt at bottom, which is to say: ‘Hear me! For I am such and such person. Above all, do not mistake me for someone else.’”

There is nothing more for me to say on this subject... ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment