Saturday, August 15, 2015

THE PRIEST AND THE SCHOLAR


My acute unhappiness with the state of the world, and particularly with the crisis of American society, is hungry for any morsel of optimism I can find. It is therefore immensely gratifying to me to come across a morsel like this (not that I had not read it before, but I just had not been ripe for it then) in Nietzsche’s Ecce Homo, Why I Am A Destiny, Section 7:

This would still open the possibility that not all humanity is degenerating, but only that parasitical type of man: the priest, that has used morality to raise itself to the position of determining human values: finding in Christian morality the means for coming to power. Indeed, this is my insight: the teachers, the leaders of humanity, theologians all of them, were also, all of them, decadents:--- hence, the revaluation of all values into hostility to life, and hence, my definition of morality as the idiosyncrasy of decadents, with the ulterior motive of revenging oneself against life, successfully. I attach value to this definition.

It is heartwarming how this diatribe parallels my own against the “Academia” that is ruining this country’s ability to understand the world’s reality and to be ready to solve the problems of all sorts to the best of her otherwise healthy and adequate ability. You can practically see our respective diatribes as almost perfectly interchangeable, except you change the name of the addressee. So, I can feel poor Nietzsche’s frustration with the ugliness and the magnitude of the deception. In a sense, we are in the same boat! I also recognize the validity of using the words priest and teacher interchangeably. Yet, still, I said it before and will say it again: he is wrong seeing religion as religion, and not seeing the national-cultural aspect of it. He does not talk much about Marx, and, obviously, in his time Marxism must have been a non-event. It is the ascent of Internationalism, expressing itself most ostensibly in the American-driven immoral doctrine of Globalism, which, today, is giving religion, not as it is practiced here, but as a genuine expression of nationalism and anti-colonialism around the world, a new and positive significance, and a totally new lease on life.

For better or for worse, religion is with the world to stay. In sickness or in health, the world is married to its religions… Till death do us all part…

No comments:

Post a Comment