Wednesday, May 2, 2012

PHILOSOPHY HAS NO AGENDA

Before I proceed any further with one of the touchiest subjects on record, I need to remind the reader that I am not an ideologue, not a promoter of any particular agenda. My philosophy is not a point of view, but an intellectual challenge to conventional stereotypes. A free thinker does not try to indoctrinate his audience, but strives to stimulate their thinking process, and lets the chips fall where they may. My chief objection to political correctness is that it stifles the thinking process, diverts it from critically important subject matter into side streets of triviality and complacency. But one can never make a problem go away by suppressing its discussion. Political correctness anaesthetizes the slow minds, but radicalizes the quick nonconformists, and thus multiplies the harm it is supposedly trying to protect society from.

Odi et amo. I love the bright side of things, and I hate the dark side of those same things. For this reason, I am often equally demonized by the lovers for my hating and by the haters for my loving. But philosophically I am neither a hater nor a lover, except that I love wisdom and hate bigotry. A free thinker does not have a point of view. He is not even in control of his own thinking process, which proceeds independently from his will and fiat. He is perpetually perplexed and perpetually seeking, and the best thing that he can do for his fellow thinkers is to share his perplexity and his seeking with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment