Friday, August 9, 2013

MY FATHER’S VERSION OF HISTORY. PART I.


[This entry could not possibly be written without my father going public in Russia with his firsthand historical reminiscences, published during the first decade of the new millennium. Needless to say, his main focus has always been Stalin, and the two of his most important books are titled appropriately: I Remember Stalin and Conversations About Stalin (co-authored with his journalistic interviewer Ekaterina Glushik). However, his earliest published work, in 2003, was a collection of four stories Tales of an Artillerist, based on his personal experience in Russia’s Great Patriotic War against Germany. Ironically, these stories were written by him as early as half-a-century before their publication, and I read them all back in 1967 in exactly the same form as they were printed thirty-six years later. (No editing was done for the publication.) To sum it up, my father was made a member of the Russian Writers’ Organization, and deservedly so. The only question can be asked, why was it done after so many years, during the last five years of his life, and not before?…
In so far as my father’s published writings are concerned, I intend to use the most interesting parts of them in this and in later sections of this book, and perhaps a few years down the road I will find the time to direct my effort toward a good translation of his published works from Russian into English, with extensive comments on my part. Alas, I have no time to do it right away, since my work on my own material is still very much in progress, and it is bound to consume all my time for several years to come.]

Before I move on with my peculiar version of history, I must first discuss what I call “my father’s version of history.” It goes without saying that my father General Artem Fedorovich Sergeev-Artem belongs to a very special club counting very few people who have the right to their own version of history. Furthermore, my father’s credentials in this club beat mine hands down. Yet, between the two of us, my presentation of world history (albeit secondhand) beats his (albeit firsthand), and even worse, his is virtually invisible, except for a handful of declarative points, such as to reiterate at every opportunity that Comrade Stalin was a great man.

My father was indeed a devoted Stalinist as much as he was a Russian patriot, as for him, just as for Stalin, the name Stalin was not the name of the man, but a symbol of Russia’s historical glory. Unfortunately, in terms of his historical approach, my father was a narrow antiquarian, apparently, with no interest in monumentals. I, on the other hand, see monumental history as the highest form of history, and I use the antiquarian’s lens only as a tool of studying my clay, from which the monumentality arises, up close, like a sculptor. (See my entry Antiquarian Of The Monumental, posted on this blog on July 22, 2013.)

Because of my father’s deliberate choice of narrow antiquarianism, he is extremely reluctant to generalize or to put things in a broad historical perspective. He is quite satisfied to deliver his earthshaking history in a small and unassuming manner. One may find certain merit in his approach (I want to stick to the basic facts of my immediate experience, and let others generalize as much as they like!), but I find it objectionable, as the more merit and value your historical material possesses, the more compunction you must feel toward the prospect of leaving it to others, rather than yourself, to make their own conclusions and generalizations, which will almost certainly be incompetent, misconstrued, and otherwise insidious.

There is another huge and most regrettable historical deficiency in my father’s published memoirs: He picks and chooses material from the warehouse of his memory, quite disingenuously at that. There are layers upon layers of priceless historical knowledge, which he is not going to touch at all. For instance, his direct involvement with the greatest mystery-woman of the twentieth century, La Passionaria, his mother-in-law, is completely off-limits, which is a terrible loss. Very disingenuously and, to put it mildly, untruthfully, he claims that he had no personal contacts with Stalin after the end of WWII, which objectively and logically cannot be true, as his direct involvement in Stalin’s postwar plan to install Dolores Ibarruri as the president of Spain, and thus to establish Soviet control over Spain via her son-in-law, that is, Artem, could not be done without Stalin’s direct interaction with his adoptive son. Had Artem’s connection to Ibarruri been revealed by him in his memoirs, any perceptive reader would have questioned his assertion about his and Stalin’s lack of personal communication at exactly the time when Stalin’s Spanish Card was being played out…

(This is the end of Part I. Part II will be posted tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment