Wednesday, January 27, 2016

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCXXXIII.


Dress Rehearsal for Master and Margarita Continues.

 

“…Oh, if only could you guess it in his eyes
What he is so anxious to hide!
Oh, if at least one poor friend could
Alleviate the ailment of his soul!”

M. Yu. Lermontov. Night III.

 

Vladimir Mayakovsky was larger than life, and he was interested in people like himself, that is, also larger than life. People like Peter the Great, Ganibal, and Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin. There was a good reason for him, therefore, to write in his poem Jubilee, addressed to Pushkin:

After death we will be standing close to each other:
You under the letter P, and I under M…

By the time Bulgakov was writing his Theatrical Novel, Mayakovsky had already been dead.

A legitimate question arises: why is it always dead people who are picked by Bulgakov as prototypes of his characters? The answer is straightforward. It must be found in the text of Bulgakov’s works.

In the Theatrical Novel, Bulgakov’s hapless hero S. L. Maksudov explains how he started writing his novel Black Snow:

“[My novel] was born one night when I woke up after a sad dream. I had dreamt of my hometown – snow, winter, the civil war. In that dream a soundless blizzard passed before me, and then an old grand piano appeared and near it were people who are no longer in this world. In that dream I was struck by my loneliness, I felt pity for myself. And I woke up in tears. I turned on the light, the dusty light bulb hanging over the table. It threw light on my poverty – a cheap inkpot, a few books, a stack of old newspapers. My left side was aching because of the mattress spring, fear was gripping my heart. I felt that I was going to die right now at the table, the wretched fear of death humiliated me to such an extent that I groaned, looked around me in alarm seeking help and protection from death. And I found that help. The cat whom some time ago I picked up in the gates, meowed. The animal was worried. In a few seconds it was already sitting on the newspapers, looking at me with round eyes, asking – what happened?”

There is a good reason why Maksudov explains to his cat:

This is just an attack of neurasthenia… It is already living inside me, it will develop and gnaw me down. But in the meantime it is still possible to live.

Even though Bulgakov makes it clear to the reader that Maksudov’s mental condition is not up to par, the fact that Maksudov himself understands that, must reveal to us that this is merely a distraction maneuver on Bulgakov’s part, directed at the reader, because Maksudov is a mystical figure.

Thus, it becomes perfectly clear that in the Theatrical Novel, too, we are dealing with dead souls, with “shadows of the dead.”

Bulgakov gets the idea of “dead souls,” “shadows of the dead,” from the great Russian mystical writer N. V. Gogol. And considering that in his letter to Stalin Bulgakov calls himself a “mystical writer,” it comes as no surprise that starting with the 1923 Diaboliada, Bulgakov continues his mystique through the Theatrical Novel.

S. L. Maksudov in the Theatrical Novel has a lot in common with master in Master and Margarita. But Bulgakov would not have been Bulgakov had he given them both the same prototype.

Bulgakov introduces the reader into the world of his protagonist in a very interesting fashion: in retrospect.

First, together with Maksudov, we are going to the Independent Theater to meet with the director of the student stage. The meeting is unpleasant. It promises nothing good.

Next, at the very beginning of chapter 2, Bulgakov invites the reader into Maksudov’s mystical world. It is a mystical world because Maksudov’s Black Snow was conceived one night when I woke up after a sad dream. I had been dreaming of my hometown, snow, winter, the Civil War… In that dream, a silent blizzard had passed before my eyes, then an old grand piano had appeared, and near it had been people who are no longer in this world…

…This is no longer the image of master, but that of the poet Ivan Bezdomny, who starts having dreams, or starts imagining that he is having dreams, from the 2nd chapter of Master and Margarita on, when it seems to him that he had dreamt up a whole chapter of Pontius Pilate, as told to him and Berlioz by Woland.

Likewise, already in the psychiatric clinic, he dreams up the chapter The Execution, not to mention his imaginings, such as the farewell visit to him by master and Margarita. The novel closes with another one of Ivan’s dreams when he sees Yeshua walking with Pontius Pilate, and then for the last time master and Margarita coming out of the lunar stream.

And now we want to know who he is. Who is he? Maksudov?

My life! Have I dreamt you up?--- writes Sergei Yesenin in his famous heart-stopping poem No Regrets, No Calls, No Tears.

And here is Bulgakov in the Theatrical Novel:

In the dream I was struck by my loneliness, I felt sorry for myself. And I woke up in tears

And also there:

Once a blizzard woke me up… And again, like then, I woke up in tears!

…There was a whirlwind in my head. The world around me troubled me… as though it were from old dreams.

An already mentioned Maxim Gorky article about Sergei Yesenin leads us in the same direction. S. A. Yesenin reminded Gorky of a story about a country boy who finds himself in a big city. Not knowing the language of the city and being unable to escape from it on his own, the boy jumps from a bridge into the river, hoping that the river will carry him back where he belongs, to freedom. But the fall kills him. This is precisely the kind of death that ends the life of S. L. Maksudov in Bulgakov’s Theatrical Novel.

And this is how the case would have rested, had Bulgakov not inserted a very odd association into his text:

He has such mournful eyes, -- I started fantasizing, as was my sickly habit. -- Some time ago he killed a friend at a duel in Piatigorsk, -- I thought, -- And now this friend has been visiting him at night, nodding his head by the window under the moon.”

There is a sea of information in this short excerpt.

No doubt about it, Bulgakov’s wit here points to M. Yu. Lermontov, mocking those who confuse Lermontov himself with his fictional character Pechorin from the novel Hero of Our Time.

To claim that Pechorin is Lermontov is the same as to insist that Eugene Onegin is A. S. Pushkin. Absurd! It is true that Pechorin indeed kills a comrade-in-arms in a duel in Princess Mary, which is one of the sub-novels of Hero of Our Times.

When I am done with all my basics, I will write about the influence of Lermontov’s Hero of Our Time on Bulgakov’s creative work.

In the earlier quoted passage from the Theatrical Novel, Bulgakov is naturally alluding not to Pechorin, but to Lermontov himself. Just like in the 1830 poem Night III Lermontov describes himself.

It’s dark. Everything sleeps…
And when the moon rose up among the heavens…
No, for the first time she is so lovely!..

[Was it because of these Lermontov lines that V. V. Mayakovsky, whom Bulgakov picked as the prototype of Woland, exclaimed in one of his early poems: “Moon, my wife!”?]

He’s here. Standing. Like marble, by the window.
His shadow lying black against the wall.
The unmoving glance is raised, but not up to the moon;
He is filled with all that only the poison of the passions
Has been so terrible and sweet to people’s hearts…

[Here it may seem, but no more than seem, that Lermontov is writing about the Demon. In fact, he is writing about himself, about his deeply suffering soul.]

“…The candle burns, forgotten on the table,
And its light mixes, plays
With the moon’s beam in the glass…

[Is it from here that Bulgakov gets the idea of the red beam in Professor Persikov’s microscope in Fateful Eggs? There, as we know, the beam also comes from the moon. See my posted chapter Fateful Eggs.]

“…Like the living fire of love
[Mixes and plays] with contempt in the blood…

[It was not by accident that at the same time as Professor Persikov has lost his beam, he receives a letter informing him of the death of his wayward wife who left him a long time ago, but whom he continues to love with all his heart and weeps mourning her loss.]

“…So, who is he? Who’s he, this intruder in the dream?
What fills this rebellious breast?..

Bulgakov must have been profoundly shaken by the last lines of the Lermontov poem. ---

“…Oh, if only could you guess it in his eyes
What he is so anxious to hide!
Oh, if at least one poor friend could
Alleviate the ailment of his soul!”
 

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment