Sunday, February 8, 2015

BIRTH AND REBIRTH OF FREE SPIRITS


(No need to inform the reader that this is a tongue-in-cheek, yet eminently instructive entry, whose aim is much more than mere amusement.)

Friedrich Nietzsche inventing Der Freigeist, the Free Spirit? After all, didn’t Al Gore invent the Internet, and didn’t George W. Bush with Natan Sharansky’s help invent Democracy? Indeed, and here is Nietzsche ipse, inventing the Free Spirit, by his own admission, in the 1886 Preface to Menschliches (as I put it down in shorthand), first published under this title in 1878:

"Thus I invented, when I needed them, the free spirits too, to whom this heavyhearted book Human, All Too Human is dedicated. There are no such free spirits, but, as I said, I needed their company at the time, to be of good cheer in the midst of bad things (illness, isolation, foreignness, sloth, inactivity), as brave fellows and specters to chat and laugh with, when one feels like it, and whom one sends to hell when they become boring: as a reparation for lacking friends. That there could someday be such free spirits, that Europe will have such lively, daring fellows among its sons of tomorrow and after-tomorrow ¾ real and palpable, and not merely, as in my case, phantoms and a hermit’s shadow play: I am the last person to want to doubt it. I already see them coming, slowly, and, perhaps, I am doing something to hasten their coming, as I describe, before the fact, the conditions I see giving rise to them, the paths, on which I see them coming?"

What a magnificent invention! What imagination! I bow my head to the genius who, lacking the luxury of contemporary and real friendships, had invented his own “friends of the future,” without ever relinquishing his friendships with the dead, as evidenced for instance by his communion with the dead souls, in Vermischte Meinungen und Sprüche (408)…

No comments:

Post a Comment