Saturday, June 15, 2013

ABSURDISM AS A PHILOSOPHY


[Being closely related to the earlier entry Philosophy Of The Absurd Is Philosophy Too (posted on February 1st, 2012 ), via the keyword Absurd, plus to the entry My Take On Sisyphus (posted on April 3rd - 4th, 2013), which ought to follow this one, this is a mainly informative (which should explain my reluctance to post it before) yet genuinely interesting (which should explain my decision to post it now) entry, which starts with Kierkegaard, and then focuses on Camus. Both Kierkegaard and Camus have been allotted entries of their own (to be posted later), but surely each of them merits more than one, and so does the subject of absurdism. See also my entry Religion And Absurdity in the Religion section.]

The concept of the absurd is generally understood as the human urge to find a meaning in existence and our failure to do so. It starts with Kierkegaard who was the first to use the word “absurd” philosophically in the following note made by him in 1849 in his Journals:

What is the Absurd? It is, as may quite easily be seen, that I, a rational being, must act in a case where my reason and my powers of reflection tell me: you can just as well do the one thing as the other, that is to say, where my reason and reflection say: you cannot act, and yet here is where I have to act... The Absurd, or to act by virtue of the absurd, is to act upon faith ... I must act, but reflection has closed the road so I take one of the possibilities and say: This is what I do, I cannot do otherwise because I am brought to a standstill by my powers of reflection.

It is important to realize that whenever we appeal to the notion of the absurd, the option of a rebellion or an attempted revolution against absurdity is, in itself, absurd. Kierkegaard wishes to transcend the absurdity of existence by taking the path of faith. In my understanding, he sees that under certain conditions we may be genuinely unable to make a moral choice, in exercising our freedom of choice (whenever “I am brought to a standstill by my powers of reflection”), and, paradoxically, our irrational faith becomes our substitute for rational morality in all such situations! Here is a good point to run by the atheists and all other believers in the separation of morality and faith…

Thus, according to Kierkegaard the path of faith seems like a reasonable way out of our moral predicament. But this is not the path suggested by another great thinker who lived a whole century after Kierkegaard, and whom we will be discussing in-depth for the remainder of this entry.

Absurdism is the philosophy generally attributed to the French philosopher-writer Albert Camus and he has certainly deserved this attribution by generously writing about the meaning of the absurd and by his explicit philosophical treatment of absurdity in his celebrated 1942 essay Le Mythe de Sisyphe.

(This is the end of Part I. Part II will be posted tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment