Friday, December 16, 2016

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCXCVIII.


Strangers in the Night.
Blok Split Continues.

 

 She crossed her beastly gaze
With my beastly gaze, and laughed…
 
Alexander Blok. In the Dunes.

 

How beautifully does Alexander Blok put his own splitting in a poem without a title in the second cycle of Verses About a Fair Lady. (1901) –

I remember the hour of a deaf sleepless night…
Then suddenly reaching my prison
From the silence of the half-dreams to come,
An unclear sound of an incoherent supplication,
Unfathomable, wingless, terrible call.
Was that a moan of a godlessly wild soul,
And was it then that those hearts met?
You are familiar to me, my dual-faced companion,
My dear friend, hostile to the end.

What we have here is a more complex split than in the 1904 poem The Violet West Oppresses. It is from this poem that Bulgakov takes his idea of the Magnificent Four: A. S. Pushkin, M. Yu. Lermontov, V. V. Mayakovsky, and S. A. Yesenin.

Also, each member of Blok’s cavalcade in the Violet West, flying unswervingly onward,splits into the man and the poet. Hence, Blok has “dual laws,” because the man lives in the real world, whereas the poet lives in a world created by his imagination. This concludes the first split.

The second split is more complex, and it is explained by Blok himself in a later 1902 poem, in which he openly writes:

I am scared of my two-faced soul,
And cautiously I bury
My image, devilish and wild…

A good illustration of this is provided by Blok’s 1907 poem Over the Lake from the cycle Free Thoughts. While taking a walk, Blok sees a maiden all by herself on the steps of a cemetery grave.

Oh slim one! Oh tender one! And quickly
I am inventing names for her in my mind:
Be Adeline! Be Mary! Thekla!
Yes, Thekla!..

The appearance of an officer whom the maiden had been waiting for, in order to go to the country house with him, changes everything. Seeing them kissing, Blok drastically changes his tone. His behavior becomes bizarre. –

I laugh! I run up, I throw
Pine cones and sand at them,
I squeal and dance amidst the graves,
Unseen and high up there…
I yell: Hey, Fyokla! Fyokla…
And they are frightened and confused,
They do not know where cones
Are coming from, and laughter. And the sand…

How fast admiration turns into disdain is clear from the change in the invented name. The noble Greek name Thekla now changes to the common Russian peasant name Fyokla.

The rest is, naturally, impossible even to imagine, as Blok himself confesses that he “cautiously buries his image, devilish and wild,” allowing himself such a liberty only in his “free” verses.

This becomes clear from the following 1907 poem – In the Dunes from the same poetic cycle Free Thoughts. In this poem Blok describes his trip to the dunes near the Finnish border. –

My soul is simple. The salty wind of the seas
And the resinous smell of the pines were feeding it…

And thus was he standing near his train and enjoyed.

And lo, she came and stopped over the slope.
Her eyes were reddish from the sun and sand,
Her hair was resinous, like the pines…
She crossed her beastly gaze
With my beastly gaze and laughed
With high-pitched laughter, and she threw at me
A tuft of grass and a golden handful of sand.
Then she jumped up and leaping rushed down the slope…

If we can perhaps imagine A. Blok indeed seeing a “slim, tender maiden” in a cemetery, then to imagine Blok standing near a train being approached by a woman with a “beastly gaze” is definitely impossible. It is obvious that here Blok gives free rein to his imagination. Take them or leave them, they are his “free thoughts,” and this is the only way we can understand them.

***

And now we have come to Blok’s third splitting into his masculine and feminine sides. It is not only the virtual sameness of their “beastly gazes” that points to this fact, but also the fact that he couldn’t possibly catch any woman. She vanished because there was no such woman in the first place.

“…I chased her far, scratching
My face against the firs, bloodied my arms
And tore my clothes…
I yelled and chased her, like a beast…
Next, yelled again and called her to me,
The voice of passion was like sounds of horn…

Here Blok reveals his “godless, wild soul,” but it no longer belongs to his “companion,” but to a woman whom Blok is hunting like a beast.

“…Having left her light footprints in the rolling dunes,
Among the pines she vanished
When they were braided by night’s blueness…

Just like Blok had been alone before, he is now left alone again.

“…And I am lying, short of breath from running,
Alone among the sands, in the smoldering eyes
She is still running, and all of her is laughing –
Her hair is laughing,
And her feet are laughing,
And laughing is her dress,
Inflated by the run…

But because his imagination is still painting for him pictures of a wild woman with a “beastly gaze,” Blok decides, at least within this poem, to stay on:

“…I’m lying there and thinking: It’s night today,
And tomorrow will be night. I am not leaving
Until I hunt her down like a beast,
And in a voice resounding like horns,
I block her way…

So, what does Blok want from her? –

…And I won’t say: Mine! Mine!
And let her cry out to me: Thine! Thine!

In the 1907 poem In the Dunes, like nowhere else, the poet reveals his wild side. This wild side of his out-of-this-world imagination shows me that in his everyday life Blok was a reserved man, dry to the bone. It is precisely for this reason that only in his poetry Blok can find an outlet for his exceptional mystical imagination.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment