Friday, September 21, 2018

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DCCLXXXIV



The Bard:
Window Into Russian Literature.
Posting #17.


…And I am standing like before the Eucharist,

And telling you in response,

That I would have died right now of sheer joy,

Had I been honored with such a fate.


Sergei Yesenin. To Pushkin.


So, Natasha, too, had flown out the window. How come Annushka had missed her?
Even though Natasha had not been invited to Satan’s Great Ball, she got there anyway, serving alongside Gella, the Queen of the Ball Margarita. (See my chapter Guests at Satan’s Great Ball: Natasha.)
Here I am going to analyze the character of “Natasha” in M. A. Bulgakov’s Master and Margarita under a different angle. Already in chapter 21 The Flight Natasha smudges Azazello’s cream, she has inherited from Margarita, over Nikolai Ivanovich (his prototype is the Russian poet Osip Mandelstam) turning him into a hog on account of his sexist attitude toward women.
Having been turned into a hog, Nikolai Ivanovich is forced to fly after the flying Margarita carrying Natasha on his back. Being justifiably mistreated by Natasha, he appeals to Margarita to restrain her housemaid. But Natasha reminds him how he had just recently been calling her “goddess” and “Venus.”

Ah, so now I am a housemaid to you? A housemaid?! – exclaimed Natasha, pinching the hog’s ear. – And I used to be a goddess? How did you used to call me?
Venus! – replied the hog weepily…”
Venus! Venus! – triumphantly shouted Natasha. Margarita! Queen! Do ask on my behalf that they let me stay on as a witch! Anything will be done for you, you are given the power!

And Margarita responded: All right, I promise!
That’s why when Natasha and her hog appeared in apartment #50 in chapter 22 With Candles, Woland made the following observation: Strange is the behavior of beauties.[See my chapter Guests at Satan’s Great Ball: Natasha.]
This is the very same Natasha who, having become acquainted with Monsieur Jacques at Satan’s Great Ball, reappears in chapter 24 The Extraction of Master:

How will it be your pleasure, my dear donna, to dispose of your retinue? Personally, I have no need for them, said Woland. Here into the open door ran Natasha, naked as she was, and clasped her hands. – My Dearest Margarita Nikolayevna, do plead with them on my behalf! – She looked toward Woland askance. – Let them keep me here as a witch. I don’t want to go back to the mansion. I’m not going to marry either an engineer or a technician! Monsieur Jacques himself proposed to me!
Natasha unclenched her fist and showed what looked like gold coins. Margarita cast a meaningful glance toward Woland. The other gave a nod. Then Natasha hugged Margarita’s neck, gave her a loud kiss, and with a triumphant cry flew out the window.”

But, for some reason, there is not a word about her in Annushka’s deposition. The only way it can be explained is that Natasha happens to be the only one to fly out the window of Woland’s bedroom, the other three had flown out through the stairwell.
It is already in chapter 21 The Flight that Nikolai Ivanovich calls Natasha a “goddess.” –

Goddess! – the hog was howling. – I cannot fly so fast!

What I see in this story is the legend of Danae and Zeus, but in reverse. Nikolai Ivanovich is a hog, not a god. The role of Zeus here is apparently played by Andrei Bely, who was irresistible to women. Sergei Yesenin had the same reputation. But it was Bely who had a poem titled Separation in the poetry cycle Crimson Mantle in Thorns, which is practically borrowed from the Danae myth.

In Heaven everything was exaltedly glowing
In purple and crimson gold.
I was agitated, passionately and rebelliously,
You spoke of the bliss of being.
You told me we shall be like gods,
Standing over the world. No, we shall not die…
We were returning, you sat behind your desk,
You were calculating in the world’s bliss.
Into your window flowed a stream of gold coins,
Lying down on the floor like a golden patch…

These last two lines in particular are pointing to the story of Danae, although Andrei Bely is writing here about the death of a friend.

And again I was sitting down at the deserted table,
Thinking in anguish about one thing only.
Into your window flowed a stream of gold coins,
Lying down on the floor like a golden patch…

And for a third time Andrei Bely writes the same line, closing his poem with it:

“…I waited long, the stream of gold was flowing
Into your window like a glowing patch.”

As I already wrote in my chapter Guests at Satan’s Great Ball, I believe that, although the name Jacques refers to the Russian poet Andrei Bely, there are many indicators here that link it to Sergei Yesenin. I also wrote that Bulgakov uses many features and traits of Andrei Bely in numerous characters of his acquiring now this now that of Bely’s traits, for surely the man was the ultimate eccentric.
And so, Natasha is a “goddess,” “Venus,” and Nikolai Ivanovich laments in the Epilogue: Venus! Venus! Eh, me, fool, old cretin!

Bulgakov writes:

“This will keep going on until a window opens noisily in the dark part of the mansion and an unpleasant woman’s voice sounds. Then the sitting man wakes up from his reverie and replies: Just wanted to breathe some air. The air is so good!
He lies, he lies! Oh gods how he lies! – mumbles Ivan Nikolayevich to himself. – How much would I give to penetrate his secret, to know what kind of Venus he has lost and is now trying to catch back fruitlessly, searching with both his hands in the air?

It is quite likely that Bulgakov knew some love story in which both S. Yesenin and O. Mandelstam were involved. Actually, Bulgakov does not give the name of the wife of Ivan Nikolayevich, the alleged author of the novel Master and Margarita, considering that the novel opens with Sergei Yesenin and closes with him. It is for a good reason that Bulgakov sees himself as a mystical writer. After all, none of Bulgakov’s researchers was able to recognize Sergei Yesenin in the character of Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyrev because Yesenin died at the age of 30 by opening his veins in the Leningrad hotel Angleterre, where he came to be closer to his idol A. S. Pushkin.

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment