Friday, July 26, 2013

A SHORT HISTORY OF MY HISTORY-PUBLISHING BUSINESS


In attempting to present to the world my highly unorthodox version of history, I used to be much bothered by the standard scientific requirement to ‘prove my allegations.’ (After all, this is my very peculiar personal vision of history, and even though I am entitled to it, I can’t escape the judgment of the “objective” critics! Getting myself into the position of one against all, I also realized my big handicap. Although the history of scientific thinking tells us that genuine revolutions mostly occur when everybody is wrong, and only one is right, the public is customarily convinced that there is a truth in numbers, that is if everybody has been repeating the same thing over and over again, they must know what they are talking about, and whoever contradicts them, does not.

How is it possible that everyone says one thing and you alone say another?!, I was routinely asked, when I offered my audiences my controversial facts and interpretations, and then I would become defensive, and I would tell them essentially the same thing that no, I cannot prove my allegations but at least they do make a lot of good sense and that they are new and they are fresh and finally that they, my audience, are certainly free to make up their own mind about them…

But, nevertheless, I still cared about my handicap of proof and tried to go around it to the best of my ability. I wanted to give the public my version of history in such a way that the critics would not be able to assail it for being unconventional and me for rewriting history without any formal documents to prove me right.

Initially, I tried to present my version of history in the form of a fictional novel, titled The Lost Russia. No matter how prejudiced anybody could be against my historical material, at least they could not dismiss its lawful right to exist under the constitutional protection afforded to all work of fiction. I wish I would have stuck to my guns, but, unfortunately, Mike Bessie’s (he was then Chairman of the Board of Harper & Row) basso ostinato, to the effect that what I know “non-fictionally was more interesting to the publishers and to the public than anything that I could give offer as fiction, and ergo, the publishers would always be tempted to put pressure on me to extract my nonfiction with the bottom line being that they would thus conspire (the word conspire is not his, but a part of my recap) to block any work of fiction coming out of my hands until I had sufficiently whetted their appetites with my precious nonfiction. (Apparently, Bessie was taking a cue in this from his wife Cornelia Bessie, whose celebrated dictum: If you can say to yourself, when that manuscript goes to the printer’s, this is the best book that this person can write at this time, then you’ve done your job, meant, in my case, that a work of fiction was not “the best book” expected from me at that time.

Having seen my Lost Russia thus hopelessly blocked I decided to change my tactic presenting them with an acceptable compromise: my Secret History of Soviet Russia where history spurted out of me as a “stream of consciousness” (for the record, this last phrase was introduced into literary psycho-parlance by the graces of my by now good, albeit flawed friend William James, who actually coined it, but didn’t apply it to literature in its most common sense) with no footnotes, no attributions, and-- hopefully-- no need to prove anything to anybody. This ploy, however, did not work out, either. It was explained to me that my effort wasn’t going to be rewarded by publication, unless I spelled out scrupulously and unflinchingly all my exceedingly splendid sources, whose illustrious names the public was going to be most anxious to hear and use as its authority on what had really happened.

Eventually, I caved in again, with Stalin, and Other Family being the fruit of my labor. The agents and the publishers were dutifully satisfied with Molotov said this and Voroshilov said that, but the book was never published for another reason, perhaps, the most important of all. The dust of history was a “sacred” dust that was sanctified by the official historical accounts of what had happened, and no “intruder in that dust” (yes, it is an allusion to William Faulkner, unless anyone thought I wanted to sneak this phrase in without proper attribution!) was to be ever allowed to commit such a sacrilege with impunity.

Now that my books have failed to be published anyway, I have repented my former compromises, and that old “burden of proof business doesn’t bother me anymore. As Bob Dylan so adorably nasalizes, I used to care, but things have changed…

No comments:

Post a Comment