Sunday, July 7, 2013

STATESMAN AS A COLD-BLOODED ANIMAL


I can feel your pain!” said President Clinton on some memorable occasion, making this short sentence a political classic for all time. Rascal, he lied again. Touted as one of the best politicians who ever walked the earth, he is not supposed to have any feelings whatsoever, especially for other people’s pain.

Rest assured that I am not about to embark on a crusade against hypocrisy. The choice of flagship does not necessarily determine the destination. As a matter of fact, I have two related subjects to discuss here, and, to be sure, neither has much bearing on hypocrisy as such.

My first subject is compassion. This is what “feeling the other’s pain” means. Compassion is a destructive feeling, which not only echoes the pain, but multiplies it within you, making it unbearable... I have known compassion, and I know only too well what I am talking about.

No politician can afford to be compassionate, and this is not a matter of hypocrisy, but of the person’s true nature. A statesman has to be completely immune to the pain of compassion, otherwise, all his statesmanly talents and outstanding skills notwithstanding, the pain will cloud his judgment, next, a woman’s tears will deprive him of one altogether, and he is going fast, all the way down, becoming largely ineffective, an object of contemptuous pity, rather than of admiration.

Yes, unlike in other people, in whom compassion is a virtue, in a statesman, it is counted as a weakness and a fatal flaw. He must be, of necessity, a cold-blooded animal…

My second, related, subject is myself. In Russia, I frequently discussed my future with my powerful friends and mentors, and the talk of entering politics was always a major subject of discussion. Some very practical steps were taken to get me elected to the Soviet Parliament. Ambassadorship to the United States and eventually the post of Foreign Minister (!), were also realistically discussed.

I guess, my mentors did not understand my nature, or else, they were talking in vacuously abstract terms. I have always been a person consumed by compassion for others. I would have made a very bad statesman! I am happy that I did not play along with my mentors’ vain desires, and scuttled all those political plans about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment