Thursday, July 11, 2013

IN AMBULARE VERITAS


(The title is a Latinism of my own making, conceived after the famous Alcaeus/Pliny-the-Elder line “in vino veritas,” already paraphrased by me elsewhere as "in vita veritas.")
As I said before, I always wanted to see myself as a philosopher (a better word should be a philosophizer), but I never really understood what philosophy was about. However, in at least one aspect of my philosophical pursuits I was a bona fide philosopher in the best Aristotelian tradition.-----
I have always loved… walking... As a matter of fact, should I choose to reduce all my essential activities to the minimum of one, with respect to affording me the greatest pleasure, that  must be walking. Since early childhood, walking was the best time for my thinking, when I could utterly liberate myself from all other activities, requiring concentration, and dedicate myself to thinking. All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking, says Nietzsche, and I have always, even before I had read any Nietzsche, said Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment