Monday, September 23, 2013

DASEIN AND BEWUßTSEIN AS A ZERO-SUM GAME?


Here is yet another variation on the old Marxian wisdom Dasein Bestimmt Bewußtsein. What happens, we may ask, when the original Dasein changes dramatically in one person’s life? How does this change affect the old Bewußtsein? As far as my understanding of this goes, the altered Dasein cannot suddenly result in a brand-new Bewußtsein. It rather expands the old one.

As the memory of the old Dasein cannot be erased by the new Dasein experience, there is no substitution of the one by the other, but only an accretion, that is, a dramatic enrichment of the aggregate Bewußtsein. In a certain sense, a multiplicity of Daseins is beneficial to the life of the philosophical mind, which alone, by the way, is capable of handling such a change without being devastated by the crushing blow that such a change entails.

Now, how does this relate to my personal experience? For some reason, I am of two minds about this. In one of them, the philosopher rejoices; in the other, the “normal man” weeps.

How often do I lament about the treasures of my new Bewußtsein being wasted within the new Dasein, as if it were possible to travel back in time into my old Dasein, carrying back with me my new Bewußtsein… And so, I wish “if only” I could have my new “me” in my old life, without enough sense to admit that this is a theoretical and logical impossibility, and, even worse, an outright nonsense. My old life had been that old Dasein, and it was inextricably tied to the old Bewußtsein, with all its silly, but logical limitations.

Now, the only serious question outside such senile-infantile fantasies would be, whether it may be possible to use the new-improved Bewußtsein to somehow affect that new and essentially alien and hostile Dasein, altering it sufficiently, so as to benefit from the new understanding within the confines of a new being?

Metaphysically speaking, this may also present itself as an impossibility. Remember the stories of Aristides and Themistocles?! There is, apparently, some kind of balance in the aggregate value of the Dasein and the Bewußtsein. It seems as though any increase in the one must be leading to a decrease in the other. In other words, having taken the original Dasein-Bewußtsein correlation as a given, the rest becomes the ultimate zero-sum game.

Let me illustrate this point by a few examples. A young person of eighteen abandons the sheltered life of a small town and plunges into the new college life in a big city. If that is a life of sacrifice and learning, the Dasein of our student goes down, while the Bewußtsein climbs up. But as soon as the student, with the help of the money from home, establishes a ‘betterDasein, the attention to the minutia of the better life reflects negatively on the student’s capacity to sponge up learning, and so, the Bewußtsein goes down accordingly. Incidentally, no wonder that in common parlance the capable student is always depicted as a poor student, whereas the money which the student obtains by various means has come to be closely associated with wild parties and a dissipated life in general, where there is no place left for learning.

In my own painful experience in America, had I at any time succumbed to the pressures on the responsible man with a wife and two small children and sought to improve my family’s pitiful Dasein by the available means of compromising my conscience for a ‘successful’ career, rest assured that my precious Bewußtsein would have collapsed as a result, not just because of the instant detriment to my intellectual independence, leading to a warped capacity to absorb my experience (malabsorption), resulting in its poor digestion, and assimilation as knowledge, but also because of an enduring sense of guilt at the compromise, resulting in a bad conscience and an inevitably handicapped Bewußtsein.

No comments:

Post a Comment