Sunday, September 22, 2013

THE VALUE OF THE NEW?


(An exercise in sociopathy?.. Well, not really…)

Wagner tells us, in his Ring, through Siegmund, Siegfried, and Brunhilde, that Heldentod is more important than Heldenleben, and that the hero’s purpose in life is to die, so that old life dies with him, giving way to a new life. Being an admiring Wagnerian, I am ready to accept such a fate: dying as the absolutely necessary introduction to a more comprehensive Götterdämmerung. But deep down in my heart, as I look around me, I am not sure that the new life, with its new trash culture, giving Götterdämmerung a new literal meaning, and coupled with the millennia-old, yet “immer neu” religion of the golden calf, presumably coming to supplant us, the old generation, on an "upward spiral," is really worth a single Heldentod

No comments:

Post a Comment