Monday, July 27, 2015

GOD THE ANSWER VERSUS GOD THE QUESTION


In a number of my comments on Nietzsche’s attitude to religion, I often emphasize my conviction that he is by no means an atheist. In fact, I believe that Søren Kierkegaard, too, had he lived long enough, would have recognized Nietzsche as a kindred spirit, with whom he would have had much more in common (like with a pagan worshipping a stick of wood with sincerity, to use his own words) than with any insincere member of his own religion. Indeed, it is the shocking sincerity, with which Nietzsche is posing his questions that must be making a lot of his critics uncomfortable.

With this in mind, I am pointing to an interesting passage in Nietzsche’s closing confession-autobiography Ecce Homo (Why I am so Clever, Section 1), where he states exactly where he stands, with regard to being an atheist, which I insist he is not, even though the reason he is giving has an ambiguous twist to it. At the same time, I wonder why he goes only halfway in stating his position on God:

God, immortality of the soul, redemption, beyond --- without exception, concepts to which I never devoted any attention, or time; not even as a child. Perhaps, I have never been childlike enough for them?

I do not by any means know atheism as a result; even less an event: it is a matter of course with me, from instinct. I am too inquisitive, too questionable, too exuberant to stand for a gross answer. God is a gross answer, an indelicacy against us thinkers, at bottom, only a gross prohibition for us: you shall not think!

Ironically, this closely corresponds to my previously expressed thought that the Holy Bible is an unfortunate waste, philosophically speaking, as to every believer it cannot present itself as an object of a normal philosophical inquiry. (One shall not doubt what one believes to be the Word of God!) It is for this reason that our friend Schopenhauer had embarked on a journey into foreign religions, where he was allowed to use his “tools of trade,” that is, his philosophical proclivities without the intellectual restraints that religion is putting on the believers.

Too inquisitive, too questionable, too exuberant to stand for a gross answer. This is understandable. But why should Nietzsche consider God as an answer? Nietzsche the daring challenger, too inquisitive, and too questionable! It is much more challenging to consider Him, God… a question, in which case, no inquisitive soul should shun God, but rather be drawn to Him: the Ultimate Puzzle!

…As a matter of fact, I would like to turn this last thought into the following aphorism:

Many people prefer to see God as an Answer, while I see Him as a Question, addressed both to Him by us, and to us by Him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment