Wednesday, February 10, 2016

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCXXXVII.


Dress Rehearsal for Master and Margarita Continues.



 Is it possible for a dream to be so close
To cold existence? No!
A dream can’t leave a trace in the soul,
And no matter how much imagination tries,
Its instruments of torture are naught
Against what is and what has influence
On heart and fate.

M. Yu. Lermontov. A Vision.

If the word “Sud,” “Judgment,” comes clear and distinct through the name Maksudov, then what does “Mak” mean?

“Mc” points to M. Yu. Lermontov’s Scottish ancestry.

Why aren’t I a bird, a raven of the steppes,
Like the one that has just flown over me?
Why can’t I soar up in the sky,
Loving freedom alone?
In the mountains of my Scotland
There’s the grave of Ossian.
My dormant spirit flies toward it…

As for Maksudov’s first name, Bulgakov gives him Yesenin’s name: Sergei. Furthermore, a lot of attention is drawn to this name, as the theater director Ivan Vasilievich keeps twisting it around, and Maksudov has to correct him all the time that he is really Sergei Leontievich.

***

There is a direct connection between Bulgakov’s Theatrical Novel and the following excerpt from Lermontov’s poem Death:

Caressed by blooming dreams,
I was sleeping quietly, but suddenly I woke up,
Yet my awakening as well turned out to be a dream:
And thinking that the chain of deceitful images
Had been by me destroyed, I doubly
Was fooled by my imagination…

These were the Lermontov lines that inspired Bulgakov to open the second chapter of Theatrical Novel with Maksudov’s dream.

And it is getting even better with the following lines in the same poem:

“…It seemed to me that death with its cold breath
Had already started to cool my blood…

This already explains Maksudov’s fear as he awoke.

…The heart was beating not too fast but strongly,
With some kind of painful tremor,
And the body, seeing its demise, tried
Once again to hold the impatient pulls of the soul…

Maksudov, too, felt that the end was near, and he was overcome by fear.

The theme of loneliness, which already looms large in Lermontov’s Death of the Poet, and which is so important in all Bulgakov’s works, becomes the leitmotif of many Lermontov poems. There are many such poems in Lermontov, and they all relate to Bulgakov works.

I am here, sick,
Alone, alone with my angst…

Maksudov is so lonely that he talks to his cat, picked up by him from the street, about his neurasthenia:

This is just an attack of neurasthenia, I explained to the cat. It is already living inside me, it will develop, and it will gnaw me down. But in the meantime, it is still possible to live.

His dire poverty notwithstanding, Maksudov finds happiness in writing a novel about people he never knew, and who were no longer in this world. As M. Yu. Lermontov writes in his Dedication:

Accept, accept my sad labor,
And weep over it, if you can.
I cried a lot, they shan’t come back,
Those tears, they’ll never again
Brighten up my eyes,,,

In the Theatrical Novel Bulgakov very sketchily outlines the details of the novel and then of the play. But one thing is known, that the hero ends his life with a suicide. And also that the author S. L. Maksudov is very protective of his female lead, namely, of the young nineteen-year-old girl named Anna, whom he must have been deeply in love with. And in the present poem Lermontov writes:

While [those tears] were rolling down,
I thought and thought about her all the time…
But she’s no more, and no more tears ---
And no more hopes…
But no matter what, Maksudov hopes that his play will be staged at the Independent Theater. And even in this hope Bulgakov was inspired by Lermontov. ---

I live by what is death to others:
I live like Sovereign of heaven ---
In a world of beauty, but alone.

And this is how Maksudov lives as well: in a beautiful world of his literary creation, all by himself.

Maksudov even imagines that at one o’clock at night, when ---

“The building was asleep… Not a single window in all five stories was lit. I understood that this was not a house but a multi-deck ship, flying under the immovable black sky. I was entertained by the thought of movement. I felt more at peace, and so did my cat, and she closed her eyes.”

Although practically all poets like to write in their poems about seas and about ships, this particular idea about a building becoming a multi-deck ship at night comes to Bulgakov from Yesenin.

In his 1921 play in verse Pugachev Yesenin comes up with an absolutely stunning ship metaphor.

…But I want to teach them [the peasants],
 To the laughter of sabers,
To drape that ominous skeleton with sails
And launch it over the waterless steppes
Like a ship,
And behind it
Across the blue hillocks
We shall move the bubbling fleet of living heads...
SO LISTEN! FROM NOW ON FOR EVERYBODY
I AM --- EMPEROR PETER!

In his 1924 Letter to a Woman, Yesenin explains what he had in mind using the word “ship.” For Yesenin ---

The earth is a ship! But someone suddenly
After a new life… steered it in a stately manner
Into a series of storms and blizzards…

But the subsequent lines reveal that for Yesenin a “ship” is human life. ---

But who among us on that large deck
Did not fall, did not throw up, did not swear?
Those are few with an experienced soul
Who remained steady through the rocking motion…

Bulgakov liked this idea so much that he used it both in the Theatrical Novel and in Master and Margarita. But if in the former Maksudov imagined the building where he lived as a multi-deck ship, in the latter it is the other way round. Bulgakov portrays a man who in his former imaginary life commanded a pirate sailboat.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment