Saturday, January 14, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCCVII.

Strangers in the Night.
Blok Split Continues.

I’ve descended, I’ll be with you until morning,
I will leave your sleep at dawn.
I will vanish without a trace, forgetting it all, –
You’ll wake up, liberated once more.

Alexander Blok. Verses About a Fair Lady.

The ending of the 5th cycle of the Verses About a Fair Lady is incomprehensible without the ending of the 4th cycle:
Now the evening will roll in soon,
And the night – toward destiny:
Then my path will tumble over
And I will return to you.
Who else but his Muse is Blok about to return to? He is bringing one poetic cycle to the end, and about to embark on the next. The proof is hiding in the lines of the 5th cycle of his Verses About a Fair Lady:
And I didn’t know when and where
He had come from and disappeared into,
And how the blue dream of the heavens
Turned upside down in the water.
It is about his Muse, the Fair Lady, that Blok writes several poems in the same 4th cycle:
Fatigued, I was losing hope,
Dark angst was approaching…
You came down, touched me and sighed, –
Is tomorrow my day of freedom?
And Blok’s Muse responds:
I’ve descended, I’ll be with you until morning,
I will leave your sleep at dawn.
I will vanish without a trace, forgetting it all, –
You’ll wake up, liberated once more.
He will be liberated from all that he had written, and inspired [liberated] to write other things.
Blok continues:
Me and the world – snows, streams,
The sun, songs, stars, birds,
Trains of vague thoughts –
All are in your power, all are yours!
And his wish is to ascend to where his Muse dwells:
To fall in love with and to hate
The secret meaning of Creation,
Odds and evens of dead numbers,
And up above there – to see you!
And although in closing the 5th cycle of the Verses About a Fair Lady Blok writes –
…Without keeping away any of its light,
The sun is vainly hitting the blind windows
Of the abandoned dwelling…
– the Muse, however, does not abandon him. –
…Without me, your dreams would have been flying away…
Knock at the quiet house, child [that is, Blok].
I live over the dented ground,
Rolling toward evening in my house.
Come, I will give you peace.
Dear, dear, I will embrace you,
On the edge of the fiery sunset
I have inscribed the Name, child…
Thus already in the beginning of his installment as a poet Blok realized the greatness of his gift and saw his immortality in Russian literature.
***
In the 6th cycle of the Verses About a Fair Lady Blok confirms the validity of my thought that inside that house dwells his Muse, the Fair Lady. –
I am entering dark temples,
There I wait for the Fair Lady.
But looking into my face is only
The glowing icon, only a dream of her…
Running high up the cornices
Are smiles, fairytales, and dreams…
The reader certainly remembers what the Muse told Blok:
…Without me, your dreams would have been flying away…
And as the Muse calls Blok:
…Dear, dear, I will embrace you,
On the edge of the fiery sunset
I have inscribed the Name, child…
–so does Blok reciprocate:
…My Saint, how tender are the candles,
How soothing are your features!
I can’t hear either sighs or speeches,
But I believe: Beloved – You!
There can be no doubt. These lines are not addressed to a woman. Just like in the next poem Blok writes:
…I will be appealing to You: Hosanna!
Madman prostrated face-down.
Being extremely controversial and, as I already wrote on many occasions, remaining an avant-garde poet even in our 21st century, Blok fully realized his unique place in poetry, as the closing lines of Blok’s last 5th cycle indicate that all along Block had known how he would be judged by history:
I’ll meet you somewhere in the world
Beyond the distance of the stony roads.
At the frightful Last Feast
God is preparing our encounter.

I am not saying farewell to Blok’s Verses About a Fair Lady, as these verses together with the author will be later moving on into my other chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment