Saturday, February 4, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCCXIV.


Strangers in the Night.
A. A. Blok. Madness.
The Mystical Novel.

…There was an Omen and a Miracle:
In the undisturbed silence,
Judas rose among the crowd,
In a cold mask, upon a horse…

Alexander Blok. Verses About a Fair Lady. II.

On the same day in September 1902, Blok writes another untitled poem:

Within my soul, secret letters were revealed…
Each day brings me new changes.
Oh, how alive I am, how vibrant is my blood!
I am at home with underground springs!
Moments of mysteries! – I’ve understood you!
I am with you! I am behind you! –
I have revealed you, sacred letters…

How harmonious this is with Bulgakov’s lines in Chapter 13 Appearance of the Hero:

Ach, that was the Golden Age! – whispered the storyteller [master], his eyes sparkling… Having won 100,000 rubles, Ivan’s mysterious guest did the following: He bought books, dropped his room on Myasniskaya Street and rented from a developer in a side street off Arbat two rooms in the basement of a small house in a little garden… tiny windows right over the walkway leading from the gate…”

Master is happy just like Blok is happy in his poem, because not only is master writing his novel Pontius Pilate, but, as the reader knows, he has made a correct guess about his character. Blok expresses it in the following way:Within my soul, secret letters were revealed…and also: “Moments of mysteries! – I’ve understood you!
It also becomes clear from the following poem why Bulgakov makes master’s residence a basement:

I would wake up and I’d ascend
The dark steps toward the window…

And here is Bulgakov in Master and Margarita:

In winter, I very seldom saw in the little window somebody’s black feet, and heard the crunching of snow under them…

The same poem also explains Margarita’s visits to master:

And every day I was expecting guests,
And listened to rustlings and knocks.
And was often startled through the night,
And awakened by footsteps,
Ascended toward the window [sic!]…

Bulgakov’s Margarita comes to see master not at midnight, but at noon, after master has had a good sleep. Just like Blok in the quoted poem, master also apprehensively listens to each “rustle and knock:”

…Ten minutes before [noon], I would sit down by the little window and start listening [sic!], whether the decrepit gate would make noise… The gate would knock, the heart would knock. She would enter the gate just once, but I would experience no less than ten poundings of the heart before that. And then, when her time would come, and the minute hand would point to noon, [the heart] would never stop pounding until without a noise, almost silently, the shoes with black suede bows, tied by steel buckles [sic!], would come level with the window. Sometimes she played for fun and taking her time by the second small window, she would knock on the window glass with her toe. That very second I would find myself at that window, but the shoe and the black silk would vanish – then I would go to open the door.

In Blok’s poem, the word “knocks” is repeated twice, whereas in Bulgakov, it is repeated six times so that it may catch better attention to itself. Bulgakov also writes:

“…And just imagine: at the level of my face, outside my little window, someone’s dirty boots…”

Also pointing in the direction of Blok are the words “black silk.” Blok’s signature in many of his poems. Thus in the poetry collection Faina (1906-1908), there are quite a few examples of that:

n  “…you are smothering with black silks…”;
n  “…your dark silk is teasing me…”;
n  …and I spent a year of madness at the black dress train…”;
n  …she tightly ties her black silken kerchief…”; etc.

In the 2nd cycle of the Verses About a Fair Lady Blok keeps following the mystical theme:

It was a late and crimson evening,
The herald star rose in the sky.
A new voice was crying over the abyss –
A Virgin has given birth to an infant…

In this poem, Blok produces a legend:

…There was an Omen and a Miracle:
In the undisturbed silence,
Judas rose among the crowd,
In a cold mask, upon a horse…

This omen is echoed by Bulgakov in his sub-novel Pontius Pilate already in the 2nd chapter of Master and Margarita:

Abhorrent city! – suddenly and for some reason mumbled the procurator, and he shrugged his shoulders, as though feeling a chill, and he rubbed his hands as though washing them. – Had you been slaughtered before your meeting with Judas from Kyriath, you would surely have fared better...

I was always struck by this phrase, which now finds its explanation in Blok’s poetry. But the phrase right before it struck me even more. Pilate “shrugged his shoulders, as though feeling a chill, and he rubbed his hands as though washing them.” Obviously, Bulgakov wanted to convey something important here, but that would be discussed in a different chapter: The Garden.

***

Blok closes his poem with the following words, alluding to the Adoration of the Kings at Christ’s birth:

The kings, filled with concern,
Sent the news to all corners,
And the messengers saw a smile
On the lips of [Judas] Iscariot.

It is quite possible that the whole unusual story of Bulgakov’s Pontius Pilate is based on this Blokian poem. So far, this remains a puzzle to me.


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment