Wednesday, February 22, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCCXXI.



Strangers in the Night.
A. A. Blok. Madness.

As a mad and obedient slave
I hide and wait until my time,
Under this gaze, too dark,
In my flaming delirium.

Alexander Blok. The Spell of Fire and Darkness.


The other side of Blok, Odi et Amo, has sheer enmity for spring, because spring is the time for love.
Master and Margarita meet in spring and fall in love with each other.
The only way I can understand this with Blok as master’s prototype is that Blok was in love with the state of being in love, which is why he dreams of his meetings with extraordinary women-Unknowns, conceived in his wild imagination.
In spring, everything is burning in Blok, and these are not “snaky curls” anymore, which he paints in the second segment of his poem, but “burning eyes.”

I look: there grows and roars a fire –
Your eyes are burning…
The whole city is a bright stack of fire…
I’m here, in the corner, there, crucified,
Nailed to the wall – look!
Your eyes are burning, burning,
Like two black dawns!..
We shall all burn out:
All my city, the river [sic!] and I…

Here is where Bulgakov takes his fires from. In the notes to my edition of Master and Margarita, I read that his intention had been to burn the city. I haven’t read Bulgakov’s drafts, but if it is so, it only proves that Bulgakov wished to be solved with regard to master’s prototype being Alexander Blok in the psychological thriller of Master and Margarita. Apparently there is a close association established between Blok and the fires… We say Blok, meaning fire, and we say fire meaning Blok…
But in the final author’s version, Bulgakov limits himself to master saying farewell to the city. –

“…Countless suns were melting glass behind the river, and above those suns were fog, smoke, and steam of the sizzling hot, at the end of the day, city.”

In his long poem It’s Good!, V. V. Mayakovsky describes his meeting with Blok (which is how I came to realize that Bulgakov may have chosen A. Blok as master’s prototype, and started reading a volume of his verses), writing precisely about fire and fires.

Holding his palms near the tongues of fire,
A soldier is warming up.
The fire fell upon the soldier’s eyes,
Lying down on the tuft of his hair.
I recognized him, was surprised, and said:
Hello, Alexander Blok…
Blok looked – the fires are burning –
‘Very good!’

Returning to Blok’s poem The Spell of Fire and Darkness, the ending of its second section is quite remarkable:

Baptize with a fiery baptism,
Oh, my darling!

Considering that spring is the time of Russian Easter, the time of Christ’s Crucifixion, the time of His Resurrection, I find Blok’s celebration of spring in these two sections simply marvelous!
The third section of the poem moves us from fire into darkness. In this section, the woman turns into an elusive bird.

…But elusively,
She flew into mire and darkness…

Darkness pervades through the fourth section. Reading it, we realize that we find ourselves in autumn.

“…And like a dark slave I dare not
Drown in fire and darkness…

Hence, in Mayakovsky’s It Is Good! we find:

All around, Blok’s Russia was drowning…

And hence, in Bulgakov’s 24th chapter of Master and Margarita, The Extraction of Master

“[Margarita] felt betrayed… Should I be asking for it myself? No, by no means! – she said to herself. All the best to you, Messire, she said out loud, while thinking to herself: Just let me get out of here, and then I will get myself to a river and drown in it.

In what concerns Blok’s darkness, Bulgakov, being a physician and having studied psychology, shows us real horror in Master and Margarita. –

“...And then the stage of fear set in… I had to sleep with the light on…” But then: “I lay down on the sofa and fell asleep without turning on the light... I woke up... Feeling around with my hand, I was able to turn on the lamp… It suddenly seemed to me that autumn darkness [Blok’s darkness of autumn] would push in the window glass and pour in, [and I would] drown in it, like in ink… I got up like a man who has no control of himself, and I had a desire to run away to somebody... I was fighting myself like a madman. I had enough strength to reach the furnace and light up the logs in it…”
“…A fire was roaring in the furnace. The ash was at times overwhelming me, smothering the fire…”
“…I stomped the fire out with my feet…”

Bulgakov brilliantly described these scenes, and even though I realized that one person only participated in these scenes, it would not have entered my head without reading Blok’s poetry who could be the prototype of master.
And naturally, Bulgakov, having thrown around quite a few false clues in his Theatrical Novel, led me off the right path. I have no regrets whatsoever in this regard, as without N. V. Gogol and M. Yu. Lermontov, there would have been no Alexander Blok.
From Blok, Bulgakov takes that great passion for fire and brilliantly plays upon it on the pages of Master and Margarita in the thirteenth chapter The Appearance of the Hero. And it was Blok who took the mystical torch from the two Russian greats: Gogol and Lermontov.
The following Blokian lines had affected Bulgakov so beneficently in his portrayal of master:

“…And like a dark slave I dare not
Drown in fire and darkness…
As a mad and obedient slave
I hide and wait until my time,
Under this gaze, too dark,
In my flaming delirium.

And here is Bulgakov:

What do I remember after that? – mumbled master, rubbing his temple. – Yes, the red petals on the title page, and also the eyes of my beloved. Yes, I remember those eyes!
…Her eyes exuded fire…


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment