Sunday, February 19, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCCXIX.


Strangers in the Night.
A. A. Blok. Madness.


…We are young, and we believe in Paradise –
And chase afar after a dimly dawning vision.
But wait! It isn’t there! It is extinguished!
We are deceived, and we are tired.
And what since then? We have become so wise.
We’ve measured five feet with our foot,
And we have built a somber coffin
And have entombed us in it, still alive.

Alexander Griboyedov. Forgive Us, Fatherland!


Returning yet again to Alexander Blok’s powerful words of madness and split personality in his 1904 poem Violet West Oppresses:

Each has split his soul in half,
And set up dual laws…

How else can we understand Blok’s words in a later poem Life of a Friend of Mine (perhaps the same one as in Night Violet?) –

Having left the city, I slowly walked down the slope…
And it seemed that my friend was with me,
But even if he was, he was silent all the way.
Was it I who asked him to keep silent?..
Only, strangers to each other, we saw different things…

Soon thereafter, it becomes clear that Blok had no company.
He was by himself, as, having described his friend to us, he mercilessly describes himself, having come to a hut where dead Russian poets had gathered:

I was a pauper tramp,
Patron of nighttime restaurants.

To which he immediately adds:

…I had not come in a bridal dress
To the festive evening occasion.

Indeed, he had been leading a dissipated life, just like his imaginary friend.
In the same poem, included in the 1909-1916 poetic cycle Frightful World, that is, of a later time than his poem Night Violet, where Blok enumerates all sins of his imaginary friend:

The heart was striving toward truth; but it was overwhelmed by the lie…

He also calls the heart “a painted corpse.

When accidentally on a Sunday
He lost his soul,
He did not go to an investigative department,
He was not looking for witnesses…

It is only in the 5th section that it becomes clear that Blok is writing about himself. –

A pauper fool accosted me,
He had been stalking me like an acquaintance, --
Where’s your money? – I’ve taken it to a pub.
Where’s your heart? – Thrown in a swamp.

And this is how Blok ends this conversation:

My dear, you think there are two of us?
Think again, see, look around…

So, what does Blok expect? –

…And true! (what a task he has ordered!)
I look, there is no one nearby,
I looked in my pocket, -- there’s nothing there!
I looked in my heart, -- and I am crying…

Blok describes his split duality amazingly in his 1907 long poem Spell of Fire and Darkness, in 11 parts:

A blizzard’s blowing down the street,
It weaves and shakes,
Someone gives his hand to me,
And someone is smiling…

Blok frequently has this “someone” in his poems. Bulgakov liked this turn so much that he considerably expanded it in his own works.

“…It’s leading, and I see the depth
Enclosed by heavy granite,
It flows, it sings,
It calls, the cursed one.
I approach and I back off,
And I freeze in a vague fluttering…

And here “somebody” turns in Blok’s poem into “him,” that is, there is a “he,” other than Blok, even though it is perfectly clear that Blok is alone.

…And he whispers – he can’t be chased away
(and the will has been destroyed):
Just understand that the skill of how to die
Ennobles the soul.
Do understand that you are alone,
How sweet are the mysteries of the cold,
Do peer into the cold current,
Where everything is forever young…

And again Blok returns to himself. “Somebody” does not exist. “Somebody” is Blok himself.

I flee! Away from me, let me go, you cursed one!
Don’t torment me, don’t test me!
I’ll go into the field…
There’s freedom there freer than all freedoms,
It will never enslave a free one!

There is a good reason why this long poem Spell of Fire and Darkness has an epigraph taken from my favorite poet M. Yu. Lermontov, who frequently escapes in his poems into the Russian field.
Lermontov’s influence on A. A. Blok, as well as on his contemporaries V. V. Mayakovsky and S. A. Yesenin, is unquestionable. Even though Mayakovsky and Yesenin can hardly be considered “mystical” poets, Lermontov’s mysticism breathes from the pages of their poetry.
Blok’s poem Spell of Fire and Darkness shows us that Lermontov’s creative work, and most significantly Lermontov’s heroic life itself, had profoundly affected the lives of all three Russian poets. Blok’s Spell of Fire and Darkness is a continuation of sorts, or perhaps better to say an echo of the poetic cycle Verses About a Fair Lady. Here Blok reveals that he had been entertaining the idea of suicide. The main words which point to Lermontov’s influence and reveal Blok’s desire to follow Lermontov to the other world are: “Where everything is forever young…
Lermontov was killed in a duel at the age of 26, having deliberately made his shot in the air. Curiously, he is the one who first described in a literary work, Hero of Our Times, the game of “Russian Roulette.” In 1925 Yesenin committed suicide at the age of 30 by opening his veins. Yesenin had been preparing himself for this kind of suicide by stressing that “All poets are of one blood,” thus pointing to the deaths of Griboyedov, Pushkin, and Lermontov.


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment