Monday, March 13, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCCXXX



Strangers In The Night.
Alexander Blok. Falling In Love.
Ophelia.


…You, my Ophelia,
Have been taken far away by the cold of life,
And I perish, a prince in his own land,
Pierced by a poisoned blade.

Alexander Blok. I am Hamlet.


A. A. Blok’s “flower theme” is clearly connected not just to Ophelia, but also to the theater which he loved so much:

I dreamt of you again, in flowers, on a noisy stage,
Insane like passion, calm like sleep.
And I, brought down, was on my knees,
And thinking: That’s happiness, I am conquered again!..

In other words, Blok is once again entering the state of being in love, which he desperately needs as much as wine to be able to write his amazing poems.

…But you, Ophelia, were looking at Hamlet –
Without happiness, without love, a goddess of beauty…

But Blok himself was exhilarated, feeling flowers showering upon him:

…And roses were pouring on the poor poet [Blok],
And pouring with the roses were his aspirations…

Blok is in the theater. He is in heaven.

…You died all in a rosy glow,
With flowers on your breast, with flowers on your curls,
And I was standing in your fragrance –
With flowers on my breast, on my head, in my hands…

It is quite striking how Blok finds inspiration even without being physically present in a theater, but as though falling asleep with a thought about Ophelia and pursuing this thought in his dream. This 1998 poem is untitled, as are two others, all taken from Blok’s poetry collection Ante Lucem (1898-1900).

The ever-radiant glow of past days
Illumines my whole soul as before.
But the early autumn with its pensive sadness
Has blown at me its languishing breath…

It is amazing that this poem was written down on May 28, 1900. He probably calls “autumn” his own extinguished feelings.

…The parting is near. The night is dark.
And still like in the young days, that sound from afar:
The fair Ophelia – Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remembered.
And the soul is overcome uneasily and in vain,
By a memory distant and beautiful.

And now it becomes virtually incomprehensible whether Blok had indeed experienced these feelings or, being short on inspiration in his real life, he was looking for it in Shakespeare.
For the following untitled poem dated June 1 1900 starts like this:

Do not try to summon and do not promise
An erstwhile inspiration for the soul.
I am a lonely son of the earth,
And you are a radiant vision…
I know your triumphant face,
I can clearly hear your summoning voice,
Your speech is comprehensible to the soul,
But you are calling me in vain…

If it does not help to move forward, I try to retrace Blok’s steps backwards, and I find my answer in a poem written before the one with the Shakespearean quote:

The fair Ophelia – Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remembered.

The poem in question, also untitled, was written on May 16, 1900:

The midnight star fell down
Without leaving a trace…

This is already not good! –

…The window was silently opened…
Forgive me, my winged wish!
For, as long as you are breathing-in the night,
I will keep repeating: Forgive me!

This only proves that Blok indeed had a relationship with a young woman, and was disappointed.
In a much later poem written in 1907, Blok explains:

And I was so many times
In women’s rosy chains.
And everything went the way it was supposed to go:
Love, verses, anguish…


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment