Tuesday, March 21, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCCXXXIII



Margarita Beyond Good And Evil.


…Payment has been made with all roses of blood
For this vast expanse
Of immortality.
Loved, up to the very sources of the Lethe,
I need the rest
Without memory… Because in this illusory house
You are the ghost, existent,
Whereas I – I am the reality,
Dead…

Marina Tsvetaeva. Eurydice to Orpheus. 1923.


While working on the psychological thriller Strangers in the Night, which has, as master’s prototype, the great Russian poet of the “Silver Age” Alexander Alexandrovich Blok, and while reading and rereading both Blok’s poetry and Bulgakov’s novel Master and Margarita itself, I, as the reader knows, had come to the conclusion that in certain places of the novel, master and Margarita come out as one and the same person.
And also, thanks to Blok’s poetry, his poem Retribution, and Mayakovsky’s poem It is Good!, I realized that Bulgakov has specifically Blok in mind, as master’s prototype.
Considering that in the novel Master and Margarita different “novels” (that is, aspects of the basic novel Master and Margarita) frequently intersect, I admitted the separate existence of Margarita as possible in several of these aspects.
Thus, for instance, she does exist separately in the Fantastical Novel and in the Spy Novel. But still I was always convinced that Margarita is an artificially manufactured character of Bulgakov. And even though I was thinking about the possibility of two Russian poetesses as Margarita’s prototype: Anna Akhmatova and Marina Tsvetaeva, I was prone to rejecting such a thought. Both these women had outstanding minds and an unquestionable independence streak.
Bulgakov’s Margarita had no profession and apparently no job, and I could not find in Bulgakov as much as a fleeting hint to indicate that Margarita could be a poetess.
However, my involvement with Blok’s poetry helped me a lot, as I found myself at a “Crossroads.” As I was preparing my chapter Blok’s Women, I came across Blok’s 1914 poetry cycle Carmen, and remembered that Marina Tsvetaeva had a 1917 poetry cycle Don Juan, which I had once read. I remembered  how I had been struck by a particular phrase:

Don Juan was laid
On a bed of snow…
An Orthodox Cross
On Don Juan’s chest.

Rereading this cycle after many long months of study and learning, not only of Blok’s poetry, but of him as a person through his poetry, and having drawn for myself what the Russian historian V. O. Klyuchevsky would call a “character profile” of this poet, I understood that Marina Tsvetaeva writes about none other than Blok in her Don Juan cycle, calling Blok Don Juan, and herself Carmen.
Present here are the trademark Achs, so characteristic of both Blok’s poetry and master’s portrait in Bulgakov’s Master and Margarita, and also his favorite “roses,” and the phrase:

…And why should I know about a whiff of the Nile’s fragrance
Coming from my hair?..

And this is what I read in Blok’s 1907 poem:

In slanting rays of evening dust,
I know that you will come again
To enthrall me and to intoxicate me
By the fragrance of the lilies of the Nile…

By the same token, Marina Tsvetaeva’s words ...And the silken girdle falls down,give away Blok. This is how he says it:

…she tightly ties her black silken kerchief…

And also:

…I met the unfaithful at the entrance:
She dropped the kerchief [of chastity] and was by herself…

This poem is from the same poetry cycle Faina as the Lilies of the Nile.

***

In her Letter to Akhmatova, written after the death of Blok, Marina Tsvetaeva writes, probably at the end of the year 1921:

“Blok’s death. I still do not understand anything, and won’t understand for a very long time. I think that no one understands death.”

Which is followed by an unusual discourse about life and death, which proves that I have understood M. A. Bulgakov correctly, specifically that part where Margarita, very dead by then, performs all those feats of hers in order to reunite with master.
Marina Tsvetaeva’s words are quite unexpected:

“When a person says: death, he thinks: life. For, if a person dying gasps for air and is afraid – or the other way round, then all this gasping and fear is – life…”

Here Marina Tsvetaeva is probably referring to Blok’s death, rumors about how it happened running wild in Moscow.
And further on come the words that justify all actions of Margarita after she had applied Azazello’s cream on her body. And depending on how the reader understands Bulgakov’s novel, whether as pure fantasy or as an espionage adventure, in which the spies cover their tracks by poisoning Margarita, or as a mystical novel into which I am presently leading the reader, the outcome may be only slightly different.
The point is that by the time of the last author’s editing of the final draft of Master and Margarita, that is, right before Bulgakov’s death, all main characters of the novel [all Russian poets] except Marina Tsvetaeva had been dead. Therefore, having Marina Tsvetaeva in the novel, the only one alive at the time, must be indicative of the mystical novel.
This is how Marina Tsvetaeva explains this herself in her Letter to Akhmatova:

“Death is when I am not. But I cannot feel that I am not. Therefore there is no such thing as my death. There is only somebody else’s death: i.e. local emptiness, a vacant place (he has left, and is living somewhere else), which is still life, not death, the latter unthinkable while you are still alive. He is not here (but he is somewhere). He is not –not, for nothing is given to our understanding except through ourselves. Any other understanding is a parrot-like [sic!] repetition of sounds.”

That’s why with the appearance of Margarita herself, in the 19th chapter opening Part II of the novel Master and Margarita, Bulgakov has her see a “prophetic dream.” [See my chapter Margarita: Queen and the Revolution. Posting #CCXXVI.]

Mystique which is hard to fathom.


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment