Monday, April 8, 2013

THE TROUBLE WITH ERGO IN COGITO ERGO SUM


This is the opener of the Logic series, but why logic? I hope that the reader will immediately see that the main attraction in the great rationalist’s immortal phrase Cogito, ergo sum (at least, to me), is the aspect of logic, or rather of the absence thereof. Having thus sold the store up front, let us proceed with the details.

One of the most famous and most uplifting statements ever uttered is the great Cartesian Cogito ergo sum! It was one of the first Latin phrases I remember being taught as a small child, and in Russian translation it became one of the deepest philosophical ideas that I could perfectly comprehend, which made me happy. It also had a profound didactic effect on me, teaching me about the life-asserting importance of thinking.

Bravo, Dèscartes! If ever there was a perfect single-sentence made, here it is. Of course, its unassailability rests on its declarative strength, that is, its pep-talk on behalf of thinking, but not at all, it must be said, on its scientific or logical correctness. As soon as my unquestioning rosy period, with its addiction to declarative sentences, had come to an end, and a certain skepticism for life had entered the picture, I remember asking myself, Oh yes, cogito ergo sum is beautiful, but why does the sum follow from the cogito? And here is where I got my big help from Nietzsche’s ineluctable Jenseits:

…There are still harmless self-observers who believe that there are “immediate certainties”; for example, “I think,” or as the superstition of Schopenhauer put it, “I will”; as though knowledge here got hold of its object as the “Ding-an-Sich,” without any falsification on the part of either the subject, or the object. But that ‘immediate certainty,’ as well as ‘absolute knowledge’ and the ‘Ding-an-Sich,’ involve a contradictio in adjecto, we really must free ourselves from the seduction of words! In place of the immediate certainty, the philosopher finds a series of metaphysical questions: “From where do I get the concept of thinking? Why do I believe in cause and effect? What gives me the right to speak of an ego, and of an ego as cause, and finally of an ego as the cause of thought?” [Nietzsche’s Jenseits (16).]

This is a perfectly legitimate criticism of Dèscartes, and I remember wondering why his Cogito, ergo sum, had to be true on the flimsiest of logical foundations, not to mention his non-sequitur leap to the existence of God? Bravo, Nietzsche!

But my own criticism of Dèscartes, now that I am older, is history! As a mathematician, Dèscartes did not have to prove anything, he only needed to postulate. Thus, existence may be postulated as not by virtue of various appearances of an external reality (which, by the way, can be postulated as existing, if a number of independent observers can testify to experiencing essentially the same thing!), but as by virtue of thinking about existence, thus making existence as a direct object of thinking, also the reality of thinking. Next, the existence of God can either be surmised through the same process of thinking about God, or, as Dèscartes does it, by the following train of thought:

“…As I observed that this truth, Cogito ergo sum, was so certain and of such evidence, that no ground of doubt could be alleged, I concluded that I might accept it as the first principle of the Philosophy of which I was in search… And as I observed that in the words Cogito ergo sum there is nothing at all which gives me assurance of their truth beyond this, that I see very clearly that in order to think it is necessary to exist, I concluded that I might take as a general rule the principle that all the things which we very clearly and distinctly conceive are true, only observing, however, that there is some difficulty in rightly determining the objects which we distinctly conceive. …But if we did not know that all which we possess of real and true proceeds from a Perfect and Infinite Being (God), however clear and distinct our ideas might be, we should have no ground on that account for the assurance that they possessed the perfection of being true. But after the knowledge of God and of the soul has rendered us certain of this rule, we can understand that the truth of the thoughts we experience when awake ought not to be called in question on account of the illusions of our dreams. For if it happened that an individual, even when asleep, had some very distinct idea, as if a geometer should discover some new demonstration, the circumstances of his being asleep would not militate against its truth. But whether awake or asleep, we ought never to allow ourselves to be persuaded of the truth of anything unless on the evidence of our Reason. And it must be noted that I say of our Reason, and not of our imagination or of our senses.” (Dèscartes’ Method)

I think that nothing here can be conclusive without postulation, hence Nietzsche is partially correct. But my idea of the creator’s right to his own truth inside his own creation, due to the simple principle of the right of ownership, holds in this instance. In fact, Dèscartes would have been much better off, in the sense of being unassailable, had he claimed his creator’s prerogative directly, rather than doing it indirectly by insisting on his method being his own but only going this far that he did not recommend his method to be copied by any follower, who, if an original thinker, must develop his own, and if a mediocrity, must totally mess it up.

This here is one of the cornerstones of my philosophical outlook. All possible conflicts between schools of thought, sciences and religions, concepts and applications, tools and purposes, etc., can be positively and usefully reconciled, with the resulting common denominator defying the basic law of dialectics: necessity of an antithesis to a thesis, for this commonness is so universally acceptable and desirable, that no tension over it becomes plausible, and, having nothing to do with either the Jesuits or the democrats, this thesis of itself becomes such a tall pillar of sheer affirmation, that Nietzsche’s famously quivering bow is now going to be loosened no matter what. (That was obviously a very facetious stream of consciousness, as there always will be excellent causes for mental tension and the quivering bow, but this one is destined to become a safe harbor for the commonly acceptable universality, a nice place to relax from all the stresses of affirmations, negations, and from the horrors of unsettled mental inquiries. There even will be a place for… the Ding an Sich, and the old Kant’s shadow [I am using Nietzsche’s epithet here] may finally rest in peace.)

No comments:

Post a Comment