Monday, July 14, 2014

QUE LA MORT ME TROUVE PLANTANT MES CHOUX


He was one of the greatest philosophizers, if not a philosopher in the specialized sense of the word. Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) was a remarkable man, whose influence on the great philosophers who came after him was either explicitly recognized or implicitly acknowledged. Ralph Waldo Emerson speaks perhaps for many, when he says in his 1850 Representative Men: There have been men with deeper insight, but one would say never a man with such abundance of thoughts: he is never dull, never insincere; he has the genius to make the reader care for all that he cares for.

Nietzsche seconds Emerson’s opinion concerning Montaigne’s sincerity in Schopenhauer als Erzieher--- I know of only one writer, whose honesty can be compared with Schopenhauer’s, indeed, set above him. He is Montaigne. That such a man wrote has truly augmented the joy of living on this earth. And he adds this right away: Schopenhauer has a second quality in common with Montaigne, besides honesty: cheerfulness which really cheers. Aliis laetus, sibi sapiens. For, there are two different kinds of cheerfulness. The true thinker always cheers and refreshes, whether he is serious or humorous, expressing his human insight or his divine forbearance; without peevish gesturing, trembling hands, tear-filled eyes, but with a certainty and simplicity, courage and strength, maybe a little harshly and valiantly, but as a victor, and this it is: to behold a victorious god with all the monsters he has created, that cheers most profoundly.

And then, to the same effect, in Menschliches: Shakespeare reflected a great deal on passions, and by his temperament he probably had very easy access to many of them (dramatists in general are rather wicked people). But, unlike Montaigne, he was not able to talk about them; rather he laid his observations about passions in the mouths of his passionate characters. Of course, this is unnatural, but it makes his dramas so full of thought that all other dramas seem empty and easily inspire a general aversion. (And right away, he adds that Montaigne was Shakespeare’s model, which, of course, has to be true.)

Now, let us not forget that Nietzsche’s highest opinion of Montaigne is further confirmed by his selection of Montaigne into the select group of eight, which I have already had many chances to talk about: I, too, have been in the underworld to speak with a few of the dead. Four pairs it was that denied themselves not to my sacrifice: Epicurus and Montaigne, Goethe and Spinoza, Plato and Rousseau, Pascal and Schopenhauer. On these eight I fix my eyes, and I see their eyes fixed on me. May the living forgive me that occasionally they appear to me as shades, while those men seem so alive to me. (Vermischte Meinungen.)

There is no greater praise for Montaigne than instead of writing about him, to quote some of the things he has said, starting with his famous motto: Que sais-je? Here are a few more:

Obsession is the wellspring of genius and madness.

Everyone calls barbarity what he is not accustomed to. (Chacun appelle barbarie ce qui n’est pas de son usage.)

To make judgments of great and high things, a soul of the same stature is needed; otherwise, we ascribe to them what is our own vice. (Pour juger des choses grandes et hautes, il faut une âme de même, autrement, nous leur attribuons le vice qui est le nôtre.)

If you belittle yourself, you are believed; if you praise yourself, you are disbelieved.

Life in itself is neither good nor evil, it is the place of good and evil, according to what you make it.

The continuous work of your life is to build death. (Le continuel ouvrage de votre vie, c’est bâtir la mort.)

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Kings and philosophers defecate, and so do ladies.

I enter into any discussion and argument with great freedom and ease, inasmuch as opinion finds me in a bad soil to penetrate and take deep root in. No propositions astonish me, no belief offends me, whatever contrast it offers to my own. There is no fancy so frivolous and so extravagant that it does not seem to me quite suitable to the production of the human mind.

Our religion is made to eradicate vices, instead it encourages them, covers them, and nurtures them.

Human understanding is marvelously enlightened by daily conversation with men, for we are, otherwise, compressed and heaped up in ourselves, and have our sight limited to the length of our own noses.

Not being able to govern events, I govern myself.

The clatter of arms drowns the voice of law.

No matter that we may mount on stilts, we still must walk on our own legs, and on the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which  is least known.

Man is insane. He cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozen. (L’homme est bien insensé. Il ne saurait forger un ciron, et forge des Dieux à douzaines.)

And here, again, are a few, which I have liked the most:

La plus grande chose du monde, c’est de savoir être à soi. To know how to be comfortable in one’s own company, this is indeed a blessing, and I am immensely grateful to Montaigne for having expressed it so elegantly.

La gloire et le repos sont choses qui ne peuvent loger en même gîte. That fame and tranquility cannot be bedfellows, is a conundrum that I have learned from my own experience, that I have tried to overcome at the expense of fame, and now at last I can enjoy a few rare moments of tranquility, but only a few, and in great moderation…

And finally, this perfect masterpiece, which I have joyfully elevated to the title of this entry: Je veux que la mort me trouve plantant mes choux, mais nonchalant d’elle, et encore plus de mon jardin imparfait. I love this adage so much that I am leaving it to the reader to translate it and enjoy it entirely in the privacy of his or her thoughts.

In my early years Montaigne (or rather the two large volumes of his Essais) was one of my bedside books. I can say that he was one of the great authors I was growing up with, and, for a similar experience, I will recommend him to anyone who is worthy of it, which my reader undoubtedly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment