Wednesday, June 7, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCCLIX



Margarita Beyond Good And Evil.
From Blok to Bely.


“...And something frightful opened to me
All of a sudden.
I understood that the circle had closed
And the heart was beating, beating, beating…

Andrei Bely. 1903.


In response to the poem To Blok by Andrei Bely, his friend Blok makes an even more passionate outburst in his October 1903 poem To Andrei Bely:

I was running and stumbling,
Bleeding, hitting myself against the cliffs,
Then I was raising myself,
Praying again as I was running…
I imagined you – dying,
Bleeding to death like I was.
Is it possible that you too are receding?
Is it possible that I am left alone?
Or maybe you are testing me, flickering,
Like the red kerchief in the field?
Oh, I saw it, the wretched,
I saw the red kerchief of the fields…

Isn’t it true that there is so much harmony between these two poems, Bely’s and Blok’s? So much harmony that one can imagine that the first one was also written by Blok. But it is not so! How amazingly had one friend felt the pain and mental anguish of the other!
Another example is presented to us by Andrei Bely’s 1903 poem dedicated to E. K. Medtner, titled An Ancient Friend. For understandable reasons, Blok responded to this poem much later – in his 1908-1913 poetry cycle Retribution.
How does everything change! But the fact itself that the two Russian poets could experience such a closeness of feeling – is pure mysticism!
Andrei Bely writes:

My ancient friend, I was returning to you,
White-haired after age-long wanderings.
You were walking towards me… You said:
What if the gnome of the grave will return
From the darkness of the years, to separate us?
And I responded: grim and powerless,
He has fallen asleep for ages – never to awaken…

Although this poem is dedicated to Emil Medtner, there is a feeling about it as though it has been written for Blok’s eyes only.

…I recognize you, my ancient friend!
Even though a long series of centuries lies between us,
My soul has so much childlike faith.
The grim gnome all dressed in fire at the entrance
Is squinting at you, in powerless malice…

(Curiously, I also believe that the devil is very small, and that he has three heads…)

…We are standing here smiling at each other,
We are disturbed by that same soft call…
Oh friend, be silent, do not talk to me!..

What is going on here? Perhaps, this is about the adulterous triangular liaison of Andrei Bely with Blok’s wife?

…I remembered again the unbreakable law,
Washed by an ethereal-blue wave…

A. Blok’s wife Lyubov Dmitriyevna Mendeleeva promised her husband never to see Andrei Bely again. But Bely must have been persistent.

…Old dreams! Aimlessly,
I am waiting for some kind of rendezvous…
The gnome of the grave, bending at the entrance,
Was dozing off, stiffened, in mortal boredom.
Oh, where are you that ancient freedom of yore?
I burst into tears, rending my arms,
And a sadly-endearing whisper came forth:
Your ancient friend will come to you from the coffin,
Raising his suddenly flaming face to the sun…

Isn’t Andrei Bely’s mysticism truly eerie?

…Eternity was aging, the times were coming to pass,
And softly were the riverbeds of death drying up…
I was lying in a coffin, dressed in a white shroud,
The coffin opened up and the bracket screamed;
Smiling at me, was, sorrowfully numb,
My ancient friend, leaning over the coffin…

Andrei Bely closes his poem on the note of immortality:

...The sky was gleaming with golden brocade,
The ethereality was rushing in its ever-drunken fabric,
And Jesus Christ was like a timeless candle,
Standing in the distance in His snowy-linen garment.

The reader will be certainly interested to compare this ending with a previous stanza in the same poem:

...The ethereality was rushing in its ever-drunken fabric,
And Jesus Christ was like a timeless candle
Standing alone in his garment of linen,
Wrapped in golden brocade…

Even if this poem was written for Alexander Blok’s benefit, Andrei Bely would have to wait for a very long time for a response, this time. Still, there was a response! Which came in the form of Blok’s titleless poem in the poetry cycle Retribution. –

You are sitting in the room alone.
Can you hear?
I know: you are not sleeping now…
You are breathing and not breathing.
Why was the light behind the door extinguished?
Don’t be afraid!
I am your long-forgotten hour,
I am knocking – open up!

The poem’s opening lines reveal to us that Blok had taken Andrei Bely’s poem dedicated to E. K. Medtner on his own account.

...I know that you are now in delirium,
Rebellious!
But still I will come into your room,
Your ancient friend, and gentle.
Don’t be afraid to remember me:
You were so young –
You mounted a white stallion…
Simpleton, did you then know
Your pauper’s way back?

I can virtually visualize Alexander Blok as the learned cat hanging around – back and forth – Andrei Bely’s door. Now he is consoling his “ancient friend,” now he is threatening him.

…You are wise now, do not argue!
What’s the point in arguing?..
Why are you hanging you face
So low?
Be consoled: the wind behind the window
Signifies the trumpets of a nearing death…

And reminding Andrei Bely of his dishonorable behavior, Blok closes his poem with these lines:

…Open up and answer my question:
Was your day bright?
I brought you a regal shroud
As my gift to you!


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment