Monday, June 26, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCCLXV



Margarita Beyond Good And Evil.
Andrei Bely.


My soul, resign! Amidst a golden feast
The day has passed away.
Upon the fields of foggy past
A shadow’s cast.
The tired world goes peacefully to sleep,
And there, ahead,
There’s no one waiting for the spring,
And you shouldn’t wait.
Nothing is there, and nothing will be.
And you will die…
The world will disappear, by God forgotten.
And so, what are you waiting for?

Andrei Bely. Sunsets. (Gold in Azure). 1902.


Having reread Andrei Bely’s poetry cycle Insanity, dating about the same time as The Miserables, I understood a number of things:

1.      Firstly, there is a good reason why Bulgakov uses the title of this cycle: Insanity, in master’s story, thus implicitly pointing to Andrei Bely.
2.      Secondly, it would be misleading to analyze this cycle without the other, that is, Insanity without The Miserables.
3.      And thirdly, the poems by both Alexander Blok and Andrei Bely can be analyzed backwards, considering that later poems often tend to clarify the earlier ones.

And this is exactly what I did, picking out two poems from this cycle, namely: In Prison and The Morning. In this poetry cycle it becomes perfectly clear that the first person here (“I”) is ill. He is likely to have been arrested and fallen ill in jail. This theme echoes between the two cycles: The Miserables and Insanity. In the course of the narrative we find out that this man does not actually escape anywhere. It is just that his terminal illness changes its course. It becomes equally clear at the end of the poem In Prison that the patient, aka the prisoner, aka Andrei Bely, is seriously ill, and he dies.

They tell me I am going to die,
That I am thin and mortally ill…

But then, morning comes in the next poem The Morning, and everything seems to have changed:

I am once again at liberty and free…

And right away we find out why:

Open the curtains: in diamonds, in fire, in amber
Are the crosses on the belfries. I am sick? Oh no, I’m not sick.
The hands raised to the mountain on the deathbed – in silver…

It becomes clear that instead of an excruciating headache, the sick man is running a high temperature, in other words, as is often the case, one symptom replaces another. As we surely remember, the previous poem In Prison opens with:

They came and see me wandering
Among the needling thistles…

In other words, the prisoner-patient is having a terrible fit of headache. (In Bulgakov, both master and Margarita experience headache in the form of a needle in the temple.) Let us go back to the earlier poem Pacification, where Andrei Bely says:

There: I’ve attached to my brow
A bunch of prickly thistle…
And now again I’m sitting within the walls,
No tears in my eyes, no sighs in my breast.
I am destined to live in a torture chamber.
Oh yes, my torture chamber is beautiful.
It’s all the same to me. I’m not afraid.
My mind is clear…

It looks like the medicine has helped. But next morning a crisis comes with high temperature.

The dawns are purple there, and the storms are in purple.
Heed, catch, I am resurrected – see: resurrected!
My coffin sails away: golden into golden azures…

The patient probably becomes violent (“exhibits wild behavior”):

…They caught me, they brought me down;
They put a compress on my forehead.

***


Before we get to the subsequent poems of this cycle, we need to establish a connection with Bulgakov, specifically with his novel Master and Margarita.
For this purpose, we must go back to master’s appearance “in a greenish kerchief of nightly light” in the no-good apartment #50.

“He [master] was wearing his hospital clothes, a gown, slippers, and a black cap…”

This is how Andrei Bely depicts himself in the poem Pacification of the same poetry cycle Insanity:

The time was slowly flowing there
Among the solitary violent cells.
Putting my hands down without a fight,
I was waiting for the outcome of my fate…
There the dead were performing dances
In their fool’s caps, in their worn-out robes…

And also in the poem Escape of the cycle The Miserables:

The tired legs grew weak,
Entangled in the gray robe…

Which means that in that passage about master appearing “in a greenish kerchief of nightly light,” alongside words picked out of Blok, Bulgakov uses colorful images out of Bely’s cycles Insanity and The Miserables. And also, taking the two of them together, Blok and Bely, it is Bely who fits the bill as a madman. Hence, master’s black cap replaces the fool’s cap, as the black cap belongs to Blok, while the fool’s cap belongs to Bely.
Also, Andrei Bely is worried that –

…she who perhaps loved me
Will no longer recognize me now…

This is how Bulgakov delivers it:

“[Master’s] unshaven face was twitching in a grimace. He was throwing insanely scared sideways glances at the flame of the candles… Margarita instantly recognized him [sic!], she moaned, and ran toward him. She was kissing his forehead, his lips, pressed herself to his prickly cheek, long-suppressed tears were now running down her face. She was uttering only one word, senselessly repeating it again and again— YOU… YOU… YOU…

The possibility of this scene comes from A. Bely’s poem To Mother, from the poetry cycle Insanity.

I came out of the poor grave,
No one was meeting me…
I sat on the gravestone,
Where am I to go now?
Where am I to carry my extinguished flame?..
I shall knock, and they’ll lock the door…

These lines by A. Bely were Bulgakov’s inspiration in the 24th chapter of Master and Margarita: The Extraction of Master.
To begin with, in order to appear in the no-good apartment #50, where he had been expected by the dead poets, master had to be dead himself. And indeed, Blok had died in 1921, and Bely – in 1934. I do not know the precise year when Bulgakov wrote this scene, but it was definitely after 1921. Considering that the two poets had been friends, Bulgakov must have thought that he could bring these two characters as one into Master and Margarita.
In the mystical novel, where we happen to find ourselves now, anything is possible, just as in the fantastical novel, but in a more complicated way. This is why we absolutely must know who is who. In the fantastical novel, as it had always been perceived until this time, it’s hardly necessary. But how far more exciting it is to know which prototypes have been picked by the author for his characters, how he intermixes them, how he splits them, and more!


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment