Monday, November 10, 2014

EITHER...OR. PART I.


This entry is the first in a series of four, on the great Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard (1813-1855). There were only two entries originally. Having just two entries may be justified by the dual significance of Kierkegaard as, on the one hand, the first “existentialist” philosopher, preoccupied with the philosophy of living, and, on the other hand, as an extraordinary religious philosopher, developing the concept of a leap of faith, and questioning the role of the Christian Church in Church-friendly societies. But having just two such entries would have required a great elaboration within each of them, which in their present form they do not have. I guess what they are right now are the kernels of future entries, to be developed when I have extra time for it. After the original structure was already in place, however, I saw the need to add a third entry, which is second in the current sequence. Its absolute necessity will be seen as soon as the reader gets to it immediately after this one. And then, of course, a fourth entry was added, unpretentiously titled Kierkegaardian Maxims, which title obviously speaks for itself.

…Yes,--- and one more thing. My first three entries’ titles in this series are actually the titles of Kierkegaard’s major works, this one dealing with ways of living, the second one reformulating the term “truth,” while the third one finally introducing the all-important religious theme.

***

If you ask an authentic Russian Intelligent to name ten greatest philosophers who ever lived, Kierkegaard will most likely be among them. And yet, my good friend Bertrand Russell never even mentions him in his History of Western Philosophy. Why such an incredible, and certainly intentional, oversight?

There are actually several explanations. Kierkegaard is not an “academic” philosopher in the conventional sense of the word. He is probably very hard to figure out, in all his profundity. As Russell’s brilliant friend and colleague Ludwig Wittgenstein said (and I would not suspect him here of being disingenuous, or coy): “Kierkegaard is far too deep for me, anyhow. He bewilders me without working the good effects, which he would in deeper souls.” There is perhaps a similar argument, which Russell would be making in this case, too. And then, of course, the strange fate of Kierkegaard’s masterpieces in the English-speaking countries: Either…Or had not even been translated into English by the time Russell published his History of Western Philosophy (although some other works of his had been).

Kierkegaard’s unusualness hides in the fact that in his works different “library shelves merge into one. He is to be found on the crossroads of philosophy, theology, psychology, belles lettres, etc. No wonder that he wrote a virtual warning concerning his legacy: Once you label me, you negate me.

This is very close to my heart, as I remember from my personal experience a conversation with the United Nations Secretariat’s Personnel Chief Bob Webb who asked me, wondering about my diverse qualifications, which box exactly I might fit in, to which I instantly replied that I do not want to be put into any box. Not a very smart answer for a prospective United Nations bureaucrat, but I got the job anyway, probably, on the wings of my perceived eccentricity.

In all accounts of Kierkegaard’s legacy, prominently featured is a major contributing factor to his peculiar sense of anxiety and angst. He himself writes about it quite prominently. His father, a devout Christian, all his life had been sorely troubled by one particular event in his youth when in the midst of personal despair he had cursed God. His sense of guilt had expanded into a sense of a family blight and doom, which would pass on to the son in a vivid impression.

***

Part II of this entry will be posted tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment