Tuesday, November 11, 2014

EITHER...OR. PART II.


The following short passage is a narrative from Britannica, which I am using for convenience, seeing no need to retell the same story in my own words:
Nearly all Kierkegaard’s books were published pseudonymously, with fictitious names suited to the particular work, a peculiarity intended to persuade the reader that the ideas he proposed were not to be taken as the pronouncements of authority, but represented various modes of life for the reader’s judgments and choice. This is, in fact, the meaning of the title Either/Or, which offers the alternatives of an aesthetic or ethical (or ethico-religious) view of life. Kierkegaard’s belief in the necessity for each individual to make a fully conscious responsible choice from the alternatives that life offers has become fundamental in all Existential writing and thought.

With a remarkable wit, very characteristic of him, Kierkegaard thus comments on our life choices: I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations--- one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it--- you will regret both.

Either…Or is a remarkable book, deep, witty, engrossing. It reads like first-class entertainment for refined souls, and I strongly recommend it to the reader. I must reiterate however that, cleverly and most unusually, Kierkegaard presents the three ways of living: aesthetical, ethical (these two constitute the either-or), and religious, without the expected didactical pronouncement on the second and the third one being preferable and more moral than the first one (the Don Juan way of life). The freedom of choice here is honest, and it is entirely up to the individual to decide without any particular advice, or any particular reprobation, which course is best suited to his or her disposition. Fascinating, and probably unprecedented, in the long history of world literature and philosophical thought!

What remains for me in this entry now (so that it does not outgrow a more or less decent size), is to quote a few of my most favorite aphoristic sentences from Kierkegaard, which are subjectively the closest to my heart. Without any pretense to an even subjective completeness, here are some of them:

By far the most striking in its closeness to my thinking is the duet of adages on the freedom of thought, as opposed to freedom of speech: How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech… People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought, which they seldom use. The readers who are familiar with my pronouncements on the same subject may not be able to tell them apart. (Need I note that my thinking on this has not been influenced by Kierkegaard or by anybody else, and has been reached completely independently as a result of my specific thinking on closely related subjects.)

The next pair of adages (I am grouping them in such pairs myself) is closely interconnected, and presents another close parallel to my formative thinking. As I was taught since childhood to value leisure, the time when I can be by myself, reflecting on my most recent life and experiences, or brainstorming, and drawing important conclusions from such contemplations, I also came to realize how most people seek the company of others just because they get bored being by themselves. So, here is Kierkegaard, first on leisure, then on boredom: Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good… Boredom is the root of all evil-- the despairing refusal to be oneself… Incidentally, this ought to have been a triad all along, as the following third adage would be best understood in conjunction with the other two: Don’t forget to love yourself.

The last two of my selections are both marvelous and splendidly thought-stimulating, each in its own way, but being self-explanatory, they do not require any added comment, being best left by themselves: Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. And also this: The tyrant dies and his rule is over; the martyr dies and his rule begins.

In the next entry we shall focus on Kierkegaard’s criticism of Hegel, and on his subjective reinterpretation of the meaning of truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment