Tuesday, November 8, 2016

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCLXXXVII.


Strangers in the Night Continues.
Blok’s Unknowns.

 

A pink angel will point her out,
Saying: Here she is;
Stringing beads, tying threads –
An Eternal Spring.
In a radiant moment we shall hear
The sounds of the passing storms.
We shall link our arms together
And fly away into the azure.

Alexander Blok. Prayers.

 

The fact that Alexander Blok had been waiting for a Russian Revolution long before the first revolution of 1905, is supported by the following lines from the 1904 poem Evening Prayer (from the poetry collection Crossroads):

I am calling you, my mortal comrade!
Come out! Let the earth part!
I am standing on the ashes of past fires…
Satisfy me with the quiet victory
Of a spreading scarlet dawn.

And in the 5th Night Prayer:

I pray... I am sad, like an empyreal warrior
Who has dropped his armor to earth…
He who mutinies [sic!] – his heart is generous…

And he closes with words which echo A. S. Pushkin:

I’m a madman! My heart has been pierced
With the red coal of the prophet!..

And yet, through all of this Blok writes:

A pink angel will point her out,
Saying: Here she is;
Stringing beads, tying threads –
An Eternal Spring.
In a radiant moment we shall hear
The sounds of the passing storms.
We shall link our arms together
And fly away into the azure.

The wind and the storm signify change, in Blok. This is why in the 29th chapter of Master and Margarita: Master’s Fate is Determined, Bulgakov gives the following words to Woland:

A storm will now come, the last storm, it will complete all that needs to be completed, and we shall be on our way.”

The storm which Woland is talking about is already on its way:

“A thunderstorm was already amassing on the horizon. A black cloud rose up in the west and cut off half of the sun. Then it covered all of it, and it became dark.

This darkness, coming from the west, covered the enormous city. Bridges, palaces vanished. Everything disappeared, as though it had never been there. A fiery thread ran through the whole sky. Then the city was shaken with a thunderclap. It struck again, and the storm started. Woland could no longer be seen in its dark haze.”

“Haze.” Another favorite word in Blok’s poetry. It is precisely this word that closes Blok’s Crossroads. The following Blokian lines bring to my mind the road upon which master and Margarita, the two of them having been left by themselves together, are walking toward their last refuge:

Here it is – the row of deathly steps.
And there is no one between us. The two of us are together.
Sleep, you, tender companion of my days…
I have celebrated the radiant death…
The rest has been buried in blue haze [sic!]
By the bottomless firmament.

It is impossible not to agree with Bulgakov here:

Margarita Nikolayevna! It is impossible not to believe that you were trying to devise the best future for master, but truly what I am offering you, what Yeshua was asking for you, yes, for you, is even better.

And indeed, Bulgakov described master and Margarita’s last road much better.

I was always wondering why Bulgakov chose “cherry trees” in the lovers’ last retreat. Addressing master right before the final farewell, Woland tells him:

Oh triply romantic master! Wouldn’t you like during daytime to walk with your lady-friend under cherry trees that are just coming into blossom, and in the evening – to listen to the music of Schubert? Wouldn’t you be happy to write under the candles with a goose quill?.. There, there! A house awaits you there, and an old manservant; the candles are already burning, and soon they will be extinguished, because you will be presently meeting the sunrise. Follow this road, this one! Farewell! My time has come!

Then I found my answer in an untitled 1904 poem from the same poetry collection Crossroads:

Who is galloping there, in gimp,
In the blue dust?
A horseman in battle gear,
In golden brocade.
Strands of blond curls are pounding,
Sparks on the sword…

And here it comes:

…The white steed, like cherry blossom [sic!],
The stirrups are glistening,
Spring has spilled herself
On his brocade caftan.
Spilled – and he will disappear in clouds,
Flaring up behind the hill.
He will rise up on the green cliffs
In the glitter of the glow.

And also this poem from Blok’s poetry collection Harps and Violins, where I read:

My beloved, be brave, and you will be with me,
I will be swaying over you with my cherry blossom…

This is where Bulgakov takes his cherry trees just starting to blossom from. And although all his horsemen in Woland’s cavalcade are dead, they depart from Moscow in the month of May, that is, in spring. Bulgakov uses the black color for his magical stallions, as the black color is the color of death.

Meanwhile, spring brings in the green color, and it is this color, alongside lighter blue, that Blok sees as his two favorite colors. Green is the color of spring, regeneration, falling in love, fairytale, emerald.

Already in the sixth cycle of Verses About a Fair Lady, Blok writes:

You were light-filled to the point of oddity,
And by no means simple in your smile…
Through the former storm clouds
Came a glimpse of an unearthly bright gleam.
We are being rolled all the more placidly
By the emerald [sic!] wave.
I am lit by your loving tenderness –
And I see dreams.
But believe me, I see a fairytale
In the unique sign of the spring.

We find the same fairytale character in the 1912 poem Dreams from the later poetry collection Motherland (1907-1916).

Time to go to sleep, but such a pity,
I don’t want to sleep!
The rocking horse is rocking,
I’d like to jump on it!
The light beam of the oil lamp is like in a fog,
One-two, one-two, one!
Cavalry is coming… I am attentive
To an ancient fairytale about mighty warriors…
It is so sweet to be napping in bed.
Are you dozing off? I hear you. I’m asleep.
Green beam [sic!], beam of the oil lamp –
I love you!

I will be writing about this early childhood memory in a later chapter.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment