Friday, November 11, 2016

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CCLXXXVIII.


Strangers in the Night Continues.
Blok’s Unknowns.

 

My beloved, be brave, and you will be with me,
I will be swaying over you with my cherry blossom.
A green star, I will twinkle from the East.
I will splash ice-cold water on your armor.
I will appear over the brook as a free water-maiden.
It’s liberating, it’s hurtful, it’s sweet for us together.
It’s easy for us to die in dark nights,
Gazing into each other’s dead eyes.

Alexander Blok. From Harps and Violins.

 

The following 1902 poem from the sixth cycle of Verses About A Fair Lady is no longer fairytalish, but downright mystical:

He would enter, simple and meager,
Not breathing, he was silent and lit off.
Relentless and emerald,
An eye was laughing at him.
Or else, secretly astonished,
It was looking at him in the quiet.
He was silent, enchanted
By the sweet closeness of the soul…

In other words, “he,” man, felt the presence of another mystical being.

…But forever, counting moments,
He knew that she would change…

Being a man, he was bound to know that in the course of human life a person’s soul changed.

...On the pages of the secret book [sic!]
He was seeing the same scrawls.
He was strange, simple and meager,
The silent recluse.
And, attentive and wondrous,
The secret eye was watching him.

(See more along these lines in my subchapter Blok’s Unknowns, postings CCLXXVIII and CCLXXIX.)

***

In another mystical poem (1906) St. John’s Night [St. John is of course John the Baptist], Blok writes:

The night is blazing with green light –
But you will flare up together with it,
Intoxicated in this magic
By the double-poison of beauty!

Or in a more pastoral 1904 poem about a blue shepherd-boy, Blok writes about the sky:

But high up in the emeralds
The clouds-sheep are plodding along.
Their reflections are swimming
In the still and dark pond.

In the 1905 poem Echo from the 1904-1905 poetry collection Bubbles in the Earth, Blok writes:

Toward the green dale, appealing, listening,
I walk upon rustling foliage.
And the cold crescent stands without burning
Like a green sickle in the blue.

In the 1908-1916 poetry collection Harps and Violins, there is an untitled poem, where a dead woman is calling upon her beloved:

My beloved, be brave, and you will be with me,
I will be swaying over you with my cherry blossom.
A green star, I will twinkle from the East.
I will splash ice-cold water on your armor.
I will appear over the brook as a free water-maiden.
It’s liberating, it’s hurtful, it’s sweet for us together.
It’s easy for us to die in dark nights,
Gazing into each other’s dead eyes.

Apparently, this maiden had drowned, as she is calling herself “a free water-maiden.” One more reason for Margarita to change her desirable mode of suicide from poison to drowning in the 24th chapter of Master and Margarita: The Extraction of Master, when Margarita feels betrayed:

Should I be asking for it myself? No, by no means! – she said to herself. All the best to you, Messire, she said out loud, while thinking to herself: Just let me get out of here, and then I will get myself to a river and drown in it.

In both cases, this is Blok. When he writes from the masculine person, it is poison. In a 1904 poem, Blok writes:

After me! After me! You are pleading with your glance,
You believe in dropped off words,
As though twice – a cup of poison –
I would be bringing to my lips!

And in Master and Margarita’s 13th chapter, The Appearance of the Hero, here is master talking about his beloved:

She was saying that she had gone out that day with the yellow flowers in her hands in order to be found by me, and if that had not happened she would have poisoned herself, because her life was empty.”

But master delivers an even more compelling testimony:

She appeared before me with a wet umbrella in her hands, and also with wet newspapers. Her eyes were radiating fire [one more unmistakably Blokian expression!], her hands were trembling, and were cold. First she rushed to kiss me, then in a hoarse voice and slapping the table with her hand, she said that she was going to poison Latunsky…

When Blok is writing from the feminine person, it is drowning. Already in the 4th cycle of Verses About a Fair Lady, Blok writes about a girl who had drowned herself, in the final four poems concluding this cycle:

We were meeting in the evening fog,
Where there are reeds and a ripple by the bank.
Neither anguish, nor love, nor a grudge,
All has faded away, passed, retreated –
A white moan, funereal voices,
And your golden oar…

And then an explanation:

You were hidden by the fogs.
And the voice itself was weak.
How pale were the dresses!
How strange was the quietude!
And the embraces were filled with lilies,
And you are looking in madness.

In other words, the girl was lying in a coffin in a white dress! As Blok explains in the last stanza:

But was it possible for me not to recognize
The white river flower,
And those white dresses,
And the strange white hint?
In the penultimate stanza, the drowned woman is haunting him:

You are looking in quiet languor,
Having parted the river reeds…
I have chosen a different road,
As I am going, my songs are not the same…

And before that, Blok writes:

I remember the steps of the throne
And your first stern judgment…

The time has now come for him to answer for everything:

The evening will soon be upon us,
And the night – facing fate:
Then my onward march will be overturned,
And I will return back to you.

And in the last verse:

You did not leave, but perhaps
In your unfathomable setup
You could exhaust and overcome
All that I loved of this earth.
And there is no harder separation.
To you, unresponding like a rose,
I am singing, a gray nightingale
In my multicolored prison.

And in the same 4th cycle of Verses About a Fair Lady, in a 1902 poem, Blok writes:

I know the day of my damnation
And run into my pre-timely tomb.
I free myself from the embraces,
But he is keeping guard at the crossroads.
His annoying screams –
Now close by, now from afar,
Fear, shame, and wild horror,
And naked anguish,
And at the crossroads, a pitiful captive,
I stumble and I scream,
He’s luring me with a white water-maiden,
From a distance he warms up a candle…

The reader will find out who “he” is in my next subchapter Strangers in the Night: Blok Split.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment