Monday, June 11, 2018

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DCCXXXIV



The Dark Muse of Blok.
Posting #2.


There was only one thing still alive in him:
His broken wing.

Marina Tsvetaeva. Verses to Blok.


It is about himself that Blok writes in his untitled 1907 poem from the poetry cycle Faina:

…She needs none of the modest ones,
She needs neither intelligence nor stupidity.
And she probably doesn’t like the dark ones,
Leaning like myself against the wall [sic!]…

Doesn’t this prove yet again what I have written about on a number of occasions – that master and Margarita are one and the same person? There are indications to this effect in several places in Master and Margarita, and they all point in the same direction.
To begin with, the scene, in chapter 13, The Appearance of the Hero, where master is burning his manuscripts of Pontius Pilate and Margarita suddenly returns to him at night for the reason that – what a coincidence! – her husband has been called to the plant where a fire has started…
Here Bulgakov poses a very interesting puzzle to the reader. This “Tale of Two Fires” I am solving in my chapter Margarita Beyond Good And Evil.
The fact that master and Margarita are one and the same person is further proved in the 30th chapter It’s Time! It’s Time! where Woland returns the hapless couple to master’s basement apartment, while their “fate is being determined.”
Here there can be no doubt that the reader is plunged into the waters of the psychological thriller, which I have delineated in my chapter Who R U, Margarita?
As I already wrote, there are several dimensions present in the novel Master and Margarita, that is, several separate novels can be identified within the same text. For this reason, there are particular places in the body of Bulgakov’s novel where one of these dimensions becomes especially visible, as I demonstrate by these two examples.

***


I was always struck by one particular passage in the 30th chapter (It’s Time! It’s Time!) of Master and Margarita:

“Margarita fell on the sofa and was rolling with laughter to the extent that tears started pouring from her eyes. But when she quieted down, her face contorted violently, and she started talking in a serious manner. As she was talking, she slipped off the sofa, crawled up to master’s knees, and, looking into his eyes, started caressing his head.
How you suffered, how you suffered! [Observe the by now familiar repetition!] My poor one. I alone know about it. Look, you have white threads in your hair and this permanent line near your lips...And then:
Yes, threads, threads, the head being covered with snow in front of my eyes… Ah my head, my so much-suffering head... Look at your eyes! There is a desert in them… and your shoulders, shoulders under a burden… Margarita was shaking as she was crying.”

Can a person be recognized from this description? No way! But a poet can be recognized here! Especially when the poet is unmistakably Blok.
Describing his women he is all too frequently fixated on their shoulders. And also their hair, flowing onto those shoulders like feathers.
Having discovered that Bulgakov has master’s prototype in the person of the great Russian mystical poet A. Blok, I am making an effort in my chapter Strangers in the Night to prove this thought through the poetry of Blok himself. And also to demonstrate once again the genius of M. A. Bulgakov, who has included one more extraordinary Russian poet into his work.
I think that the reader must be interested to follow my progress, as my discoveries do not end, but are only beginning with the subsequent chapters.
As I already wrote, I am by no means saying farewell to this remarkable poet. He will reappear – alongside other outstanding representatives of the great Russian culture – in my future chapters.
Regarding A. Blok, we can well say in Sergei Yesenin’s words, said by him about A S. Pushkin: “he who became Russia’s destiny.” Being German on his father’s side, Blok preferred to see himself as a Russian, just like it was with N. V. Gogol, with his Polish paternal roots.

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment