Saturday, June 2, 2018

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DCCXXIV



Guests at Satan’s Great Ball.
(The 20-Year-Old Lad Matures.)
Posting #24.


Years flowed after years,
And the blind stupid me
Has only today realized in my sleep
That she had never loved me…

Alexander Blok.


Apparently, Blok was never able to forgive his wife for her betrayal. On November 20, 1908, he wrote the poem quoted in the previous posting, but in order to understand that poem, we ought to think through the preceding poem, written on the verge of despair on March 4th, 1908, apparently on the day or shortly after the day when Lyubov Mendeleeva left Blok. –

I remember prolonged torments:
The night was dying away behind the window;
Her arms twisted in desperation
Were barely visible in the ray of the day.
The whole life [with Mendeleeva], meaninglessly lived out,
Was torturing, humiliating, scorching…
And the morning lingered on, and on, and on…
And the burden of the idle question stayed on;
And nothing was resolved
Through the spring shower of turbulent tears.

The next Blokian poem without a title, dated November 20th, 1908, is virtually a continuation of the first one. –

And again you called me inhuman,
You, who were given to me a long time ago…

[Because of this last line I believe that this poem is also about L. D. Mendeleeva.]

…But your face has been burned
By a violent crosswind…

[In other words, Lyubov Mendeleeva met the man for whom she had left Blok.]

…Again, helplessly and in vain,
You tried to move away from the fire,
But even the heaven was passionate,
And the heaven was on my side!..

When L. D. Mendeleeva left her husband, Blok writes:

…And it no longer made any difference
Whose mouth to kiss, whose shoulders to caress,
Into which dead end streets
To send the daring driver…
And it made no difference whose sigh, whose whisper…
Perhaps it was no longer you…

Blok keeps lamenting, continuing his story:

…Now that the stars are closer to me
Than you, frenetic night,
When even more immeasurably lower
You’ve fallen, daughter of humiliation…

Apparently, both Bulgakov and Marina Tsvetaeva are convinced that L. D. Mendeleeva got herself into a brothel or out on the street. Then Blok writes:

…When alone with my own self
I am cursing each and every day,
Now passing before me
Is your brought-down shadow…

And the poem ends predictably for the researcher and for the reader:

…With benevolence? Or with reproach?
Or with hate, revenge, or sorrow?
Or a desire to become a guilty verdict to me? –
I do not know; I have forgotten you.

All of this going back and forth demonstrates to the researcher that Blok was disconcerted and in a perturbed state of mind. He was really hurt by his wife, even though they did have, by a mutual agreement, a so-called open marriage. However, continuously realizing that his wife was nothing more than a stupid woman, he lamented his grievous mistake in life.
After all his love verses, Blok realizes that he himself loves no one. And in his 1908-1916 poetry cycle Harps and Violins, already after the death of the “blessed baby,” Blok writes the following in another titleless poem:

Even though I lived without love,
Even though I will break my vows,
Still, you are stirring my soul
Wherever I happen to meet you!
And in my lonely house,
An empty and cold house…
I am dreaming of the abandoned house,
I am dreaming of the former years…
It looks like for all time
My thoughts are trapped by you!

Apparently, here Blok is remembering his former infatuation with his wife, how it all had begun. Having been left alone, Blok is trying to remember only the good things about his wife, forgetting all the bad things. –

…Oh, these faraway arms!
Into this bleak dwelling
You are bringing your charm
Even in separation!

However, already in his next poem Blok comes back to his senses:

Years flowed after years,
And the blind stupid me
Has only today realized in my sleep
That she had never loved me…

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment