Thursday, May 14, 2015

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CLXXXV.


Woland Identity Continued.



What’s glory? Just a fancy patch
On the decrepit rags of the bard!

A. S. Pushkin.



On a lighter note, we may note that Ivan Nikolayevich Bezdomny managed to figure out the word “professor,” printed in foreign letters on the stranger’s business card, as well as the first letter of his surname: a double V, that is, a “W.” For some reason, Berlioz didn’t make out anything, because, being the smarter one, he would have been able to read everything on that card…

Now, if we consider the initials of the name Vladimir Vladimirovich Mayakovsky, they present two V’s and an M, which when inverted gives us a W. Having made this joke, we are proceeding now with a more serious proof of the fact that it was V. V. Mayakovsky, whom Bulgakov chose as the prototype of his Woland.

V. V. Mayakovsky himself writes about himself as a devil in the poem This is How I Became a Dog.---

“I touched my lip,
And there from under the lip --- a fang.”

Remembering Mayakovsky’s speech in Bulgakov’s Lord Curzon’s Benefit, it was not a dog’s fang that Mayakovsky had in mind when he said:

You comrades heard the din,
But you don’t know who this Lord Curzon is!
…From under the mask of a polite lord
Stares a fanged face!

Continuing with Mayakovsky’s “Dog” poem,---

…Quickly hid my face,
Carefully walking around a police post,
Then suddenly a deafening – ‘A tail!’
Feeling it with my hand,-- dumbfounded!
This beats any fang…
From under my jacket a huge tail
Winds fan-like behind me,
A large dog’s tail.
What now? Someone yelled, attracting a bigger crowd…
They crushed an old woman, she was crossing herself
And shouting something about the devil…

Mayakovsky obviously uses the dog allegory only as a cover, making his point more explicit in Cheap Sell-off:

In such and such number of years…
Professors will analyze me to the last note…
And some big-foreheaded idiot from the podium
Will be mumbling something about the God-devil
You won’t even recognize me—is that me or not me?
[The crowd] will paint my balding head
Either with horns or with a halo.

Bulgakov recognizes the devil in Mayakovsky and uses him as Woland’s prototype in Master and Margarita. He takes Mayakovsky’s “balding head,” and instead of a “halo” endows Woland with a sparkling eye.---

“On the high balding brow, deep furrows were dug in parallel to the sharp eyebrows…”

And here is the equivalent of the “halo”:

“His right eye with a golden sparkle at the bottom would bore anyone to the bottom of their soul.”

With regard to Woland’s tan, Bulgakov takes it also from V. V. Mayakovsky.
Bulgakov gives us his portrait through the eyes of Margarita. ---

“Woland spread himself all over the bed; he was dressed only in a long night shirt that was dirty and patched up on the left shoulder.”

This astonishing attire can also be explained through A. S. Pushkin’s poetry, who writes:

What’s glory? Just a fancy patch
On the decrepit rags of the bard!

In describing the appearance of Woland, Bulgakov gives the reader three indications that Woland has a poet as his prototype:

1.      The first one is the “patch” on Woland’s dirty shirt.

2.      The second one is an allusion to a Mayakovsky poem. --- “The skin on Woland’s face was as though forever burned by a tan… Gella was rubbing some smoking ointment into the knee of his dark-skinned leg… Margarita could also discern on Woland’s bare and hairless chest an artfully carved out of black stone beetle on a gold chain, with some kind of scrawl on its back.” --- The tan, the beetle, and the scrawls, all point to the exotic. V. V. Mayakovsky has a 1915 poem I and Napoleon, where he writes, in particular: My shout is etched in the granite of time, It will keep thundering and is thundering now, Because in my heart, burnt out like Egypt, There are a thousand thousands of pyramids…Bulgakov has given us a clue about Egypt by pointing to a scarab on Woland’s chest.

3.      And the third indication that Woland’s prototype is Mayakovsky, is Gella. This is how Woland introduces her: I recommend to you my maidservant Gella. She is quick, smart, and there is no such service that she would not be able to perform.(More about it in my chapter Margarita and the Wolf. Meanwhile, the reader is invited to solve the puzzle: Why is it that Gella is not part of Woland’s company departing from Moscow? Whom does Bulgakov portray under the guise of Gella?)

If V. V. Mayakovsky’s heart was “burnt out,” then he must undoubtedly have been “burnt out” like Woland --- “forever.”

***

The readers of Master and Margarita obviously failed to recognize the “God-devil” Mayakovsky in the character of Woland.

I myself was there for a long time, understanding that Woland must have a prototype. As a matter of fact, I had a harder time with the prototypes of Bulgakov’s characters than with his two “dead souls”: A. S. Pushkin and M. Yu. Lermontov. I confess that me and Alexander have always loved V. V. Mayakovsky. My husband knows a lot of his poems by heart, and in my young years I recited poetry…

And so, it was kind of offensive, incomprehensible, how Bulgakov could reduce a literary giant to the character of Ryukhin, and this bewilderment lasted right until recently, when, working on my chapter Two Adversaries, I started rereading a book of Mayakovsky’s poems. And gradually I began to see him, that is, V. V. Mayakovsky, in the image of Woland…

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment