Friday, May 15, 2015

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CLXXXVI.


Woland Identity Continued.



The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.

John Milton. Paradise Lost.


Mayakovsky was larger than life because of his exorbitant opinion of himself. Let us look at the following dedication, for starters:

To himself, the beloved, does the author dedicate these lines.

Or these lines:

Had I been as small as the Great Ocean…
Oh, had I been a pauper! Like a billionaire!
Had I been as tongue-tied as Dante and Petrarca…
Oh, had I been as soft as thunder…

In the Letter to Tatiana Yakovleva, Mayakovsky writes:

Come here, come to the intersection
Of my large and clumsy arms.
You do not want to?.. Never mind,
I’ll still take you one day,
Alone or along with Paris.

Indeed, we are dealing here with an exceptional megalomaniac, who also wrote this in the poem A Cloud in Pants:

Glorify me!
None of the greats are my peers,
Over all that has been created
I put ‘Nihil’…

Naturally, M. A. Bulgakov had to study the poetry of V. V. Mayakovsky, who was his contemporary, in order to understand the man within the poet. Having observed that gigantism, and also, and most importantly, Mayakovsky’s irreverent treatment of God, Bulgakov must have been struck by the outlandishness of the ideas in Mayakovsky’s poetry. In his poem I [what an abundance of modesty!], Mayakovsky writes a few words about me myself.The very first sentence here shocks the reader:

I like to watch how children are dying…

Then he explains:

Have you noticed the hazy wave of laughter’s tide
Behind the elephant’s trunk of anguish?
And I --- in the reading room of the streets ---
Too often turned the leaves of the coffin’s tome.

For V. V. Mayakovsky, like for M. Yu. Lermontov, human life was akin to plague, --- hence such pessimism. Mayakovsky describes his life in a large city where nobody cares about anybody else. Mayakovsky sees death all around him.

In Master and Margarita, Bulgakov paints a picture of the civil war in Spain, using Woland’s globe.

“[Woland] started turning his globe in front of him. It was made so skillfully that the blue oceans on it were moving, and the icecap on the north pole was sitting there like real, icy and snowy.”

“My globe is far more convenient [than any news], besides, I must know the events accurately. For instance here is a piece of land washed by the ocean on one side. Look how it becomes infused with fire. A war has started there.”

“Moving her eye closer to the globe, Margarita was able to see a tiny woman’s figure lying on the ground, and near her in a pool of blood was a little child, spreading wide his arms. This is it, said Woland smiling, --- he did not have time to sin…

Bulgakov understood Mayakovsky’s poetry very well. They both lived during terrible times in Russia: the first world war, imposed on the nation, followed by the revolution and the ensuing Civil War and foreign intervention.

The idea of Woland’s globe comes to Bulgakov from Mayakovsky. In his long poem I Love under the heading My University, Mayakovsky writes:

“They’ll take the earth, lop it and peel it, and then study it,
And all of it is the size of a tiny globe…”

Mayakovsky does not stop at this, but he goes on relating how he himself was learning geography on the streets:

And I learned geography with my sides,
It’s for a reason that I drop to the ground to pass the night…

This is the reason, and not only this, that Mayakovsky compares himself to Lucifer in his poem A Cloud in Pants:

I am an angel too, I used to be one ---
A sugary lamb looking into the eye…

Bulgakov writes that “Woland’s face was skewed to one side, the right corner of the mouth pulled downward…” Which thus both explains Lucifer’s fall to earth and takes into consideration V. V. Mayakovsky’s “learning geography with his sides... dropping to the ground to pass the night,” as a homeless young man on the streets.

This is not the end of the similarities in the appearances of V. V. Mayakovsky and Bulgakov’s Woland. As Bulgakov writes:

“The skin on Woland’s face was as though forever burned by a tan.”

He takes this idea from another very modest poem by V. V. Mayakovsky: Me and Napoleon. The title itself already tells everything about Mayakovsky, explaining why Bulgakov chose him as the prototype of Woland. Mayakovsky offers the reader to “Compare: Me and him [Napoleon],” and he chooses himself, because ---

My shout is etched in the granite of time,
It will keep thundering and is thundering now,
Because in my heart, burnt out like Egypt,
There are a thousand thousands of pyramids…

If V. V. Mayakovsky’s heart was “burnt out,” then he must undoubtedly have been “burnt out” like Woland --- “forever.”

Bulgakov finds a very interesting way of playing on Mayakovsky’s “Egypt.

“Margarita could also discern on Woland’s bare and hairless chest an artfully carved out of black stone beetle on a gold chain, with some kind of scrawl on its back.”

(The beetle is obviously a scarab.)

I already wrote in my chapter The Fantastic Love Story of Master and Margarita Segment XXVII that the yellow color in Bulgakov is the devil’s color. The yellow acacia flowers in Margarita’s hands, as she embarks on her search for a lover on the streets of Moscow, the dirty yellow wall of the side street where she finds master…

Meanwhile, V. V. Mayakovsky has written an autobiography titled-- how else?-- I Myself, where he writes, among other things, about his clothes, under the heading The Yellow Shirt:

“I had no suits. I had two shirts of most disgusting appearance… I took a piece of yellow ribbon from my sister. Wrapped it around me. Caused a furore… Made a tie shirt and a shirt tie. An irresistible impression.”

Bulgakov also dresses Woland in a shirt, but it is a night shirt not specifying the color, except for mentioning that it is dirty and patched up.

On the other hand, a certain necktie does cause a furore in Master and Margarita, but Bulgakov gives it not to Woland but to Begemot.

V. V. Mayakovsky writes:

“The most noticeable and beautiful thing in a man is his necktie. It is quite obvious: you increase the size of the necktie, the furore increases with that…”

Bulgakov does not increase the necktie, but he increases the cat himself, remembering Milton:

…scarce from his mould
Behemoth, biggest born of Earth, upheav’d
His vastness…

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment