Saturday, March 14, 2015

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CLXX.


Two Adversaries Continues.

 Listen, you rotten heart,
My dog’s heart.
Against you, like against a thief,
I hid a blade in my hands…
S. A. Yesenin. Listen, You Rotten Heart.

 

And so, as Sergei Yesenin insists, Poets are all of one blood.Another take on the word “blood” used by Woland:

Yes, Koroviev is right:… Blood!And in a different place: Blood is a great thing!, said Woland merrily, for some unknown reason.”

Having written “for some unknown reason,” Bulgakov clearly invites the reader to think and solve his newest puzzle.

The answer to this puzzle can be found in Yesenin’s poetry.---

Listen, you rotten heart,
My dog’s heart.
Against you, like against a thief,
I hid a blade in my hands…

In Master and Margarita Bulgakov confirms the fact of Yesenin taking his life by slashing his wrists. The full picture of it will become clear in my future chapter The Bard.

In Yesenin’s poetry there is a heavy emphasis on blood, as comes through also in his 1920 poem Confession of a Hooligan, where he draws a parallel between his childhood and his present life of a hunted man.---

Lean and short,
Always a hero among boys,
Ever so often, with a bloody nose,
I would be returning home.
And encountering my worried mother,
I would strain through the bloodied mouth:
It is nothing, I stumbled on a rock,
It will all heal by tomorrow…
If before I was hit in my face,
Now it’s my soul which is bloodied,
And this time I am not telling it to my mother,
But to the alien laughing mob:
It is nothing, I stumbled on a rock,
It will all heal by tomorrow.

Also in Bulgakov, after Woland tells Margarita his teary story about his “aching knee, left to him as a souvenir by a certain charming witch,” and asks her to share with him her own burdens: Perhaps you too may have some anguish poisoning your soul?--- the “clever Margarita” reacts only to Nonsense! It will all heal in some three hundred years!--- and accordingly gives him her answer: No, nothing like that… and now that I am with you I feel altogether well.

In other words, the “clever Margarita” doesn’t fall for Woland’s trick, refusing to complain and to beg, just like Yesenin, thus showing that Margarita possesses not only Yesenin’s voice, but his courage as well.

There is a good reason when they say that each literary character has something of its author. While in the Theatrical Novel Bulgakov explicitly gives its authorship to the character Maksudov, the authorship of Master and Margarita is implicitly given to the poet Ivanushka.

Another aspect of Bulgakov’s emphasis on blood now becomes clear, namely, Woland’s interest in the question of blood. You remember M. Yu. Lermontov’s---

“He [the devil] sees blood with indifference.”

Nothing of the kind do we see in Bulgakov’s Woland. Blood to him is of great interest, and there is a good reason for that.

Pushkin, like Yesenin, bled to death, hence Bulgakov’s name for him is Koroviev [from the word Krov’, for which see my posted segment IX].

So did M. Yu. Lermontov. His blood flowed too, as he was shot dead in a duel.

Yesenin writes about his poetry---

Had I not been a poet,
I would surely have been a rascal and a thief.

In his works, Sergei Yesenin created amazingly powerful characters, many of whom struck Bulgakov’s imagination (he loved poetry and, as we shall see, he knew Yesenin’s poetry very well) to such an extent that he used Yesenin’s images in his own works.

Even Maxim Gorky, in his article Sergei Yesenin, written in the wake of Yesenin’s death, uses these Yeseninian images.---

“Yesenin produced an impression on me… of a confused boy who realizes himself that there is no place for him in the huge Petersburg: such clean boys --- dwellers of quiet towns… There you see them as apprentices of carpenters.”

Knowing Yesenin’s poetry, Maxim Gorky, on meeting Yesenin in Berlin, asked him to recite his poem about “a dog whose seven puppies were taken away from her and thrown into the river.” (Song about a Dog.) Just as well, Gorky must have known another Yesenin poem, Confession of a Hooligan, in which the poet proclaims himself a “master”:

I came as a stern master,
To sing and to glorify rats…”

The image of “master” is very interesting in Yesenin, and Bulgakov understands it correctly, calling Centurion Marcus, a “cold and dedicated executioner,” “Ratkiller.” This is precisely how Sergei Yesenin intended to sing and to glorify ratsin his poetry. And indeed, Yesenin did expose rats in his play in verse Land of Scoundrels. In this, Yesenin was like Gogol, which is the reason why Bulgakov wholeheartedly picked Yesenin, with his “insane heart of a poet,” for his novel Master and Margarita, and made him, similar to making Maksudov the author of the Theatrical Novel, the author of Master and Margarita, that is, Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyrev.

Thanks to this line by Yesenin, Bulgakov introduces, so spectacularly and elegantly, N. V. Gogol as master, existing only in Ivanushka’s fertile imagination.

Bulgakov always supplies the inquisitive reader with necessary proof. Describing his “perfectly private apartment” in a basement, master tells Ivanushka:

Facing [the window], some four steps away under the fence, there grew lilacs, linden and a maple tree.

Reading Yesenin’s verses,--- and he just loved nature!--- you begin to understand. Linden, maple, and lilac appear very frequently in them, oftentimes allegorically.---

“An old one-legged maple tree
Guards the blue Russia.
And I know that it is filled with joy…
Because that old maple tree
Has a head just like mine.”

Or take this one:

“This sorrow cannot be scattered
By the ringing laughter of the years bygone,
No longer blooming is my white linden,
No longer singing is my nightingale dawn.”

Or this one:


As I am walking through the overgrown garden,
Lilac catches my face....

Similar to the “linden no longer in bloom” is Yesenin’s “rotting maple.”---

“Anon has my youth ceased its clamor,
Like the rotting maple under my windows.”

Some of the pictures are even more fitting for Master and Margarita:

“To those places where I grew up under a maple,
Where I made merry on yellow grass,
Am I sending my greeting to the sparrows and crows,
And to the owl weeping at night.”

My reader certainly remembers (see my posted segment XLVII) that Azazello first appears in Master and Margarita as a sparrow:

“…Here the madman [Woland] burst into such a violent laughter that out of the linden tree over the seated company flew a sparrow…”

Therefore the idea of introducing birds in Master and Margarita may well have visited Bulgakov under the influence of Sergei Yesenin’s poetry. It is not without reason that Maxim Gorky writes in his article Sergei Yesenin that he had once told Yesenin that he was “the first one in Russian literature who could so skillfully and with such sincere love write about animals.”

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment