Sunday, March 22, 2015

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CLXXVIII.


Two Adversaries Continues.

The Black Man.

 
Is that the wind whistling
Over a bare and deserted field?
Or is it, like in a grove in autumn,
That alcohol is shedding on my brains?

S. A. Yesenin. The Black Man.

The poem The Black Man was so important to S. A. Yesenin that he took quite some time to write it in the years right before his death, from 1923 to 1925. At the same time, the much longer poem Pugachev took Yesenin just a few months to write, from March to August 1921.

The importance of The Black Man will become clear in my chapter The Bard, but in this chapter I am interested in several ideas which inspired Bulgakov in the writing of Master and Margarita.

Bulgakov takes the idea of splitting Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyrev into the poet Ivan Bezdomny and the demon-assassin, the demon of the waterless desert Azazello, from the poem The Black Man.

My friend, my friend, I am very-very ill.
I don’t know where this pain is coming from…
The black man, black, black,
The black man sits down on my bed,
The black man does not let me sleep all through the night…

Bulgakov liked this poem so much that he turned both Azazello, whose prototype Sergei Yesenin is, and Woland into “black men,” clothing them both in black attire, during their departure from Moscow.---

“At sunset… Woland was sitting… cloaked in his black cassock. His long broad sword was thrust between two plates of the terrace vertically, thus forming a sundial. The sword’s shadow was slowly but surely elongating, crawling toward Satan’s black shoes... Azazello, having parted with his modern clothes, that is, with his bowler hat, jacket, and lacquered shoes [which Yesenin was so proud of!] was dressed, like Woland, in black, and was immovably standing nearby his master…”

…The black man guides his finger through a disgusting book,
And nasalizing over me like a monk over a dead body,
Reads to me about the life of some rascal and drunk,
Bringing into my soul anguish and fear.
The black man, black, black!

It is already becoming quite clear here that this is Yesenin’s conscience tormenting him.

…Listen, listen, he mumbles to me…
The black man looks at me point blank…
As though he wants to tell me that I am a swindler and a thief,
So shamelessly and impudently having robbed someone…

These are the key words of the whole poem. As I already wrote in the segment Anna Snegina, regarding Yesenin’s attitude to wars, he is brutally honest toward himself, which in particular attracted Bulgakov’s attention, who picked Yesenin to play several roles in his Master and Margarita.

It becomes very clear here that the black man is not just Yesenin’s conscience. The poet himself has a pretty good understanding as to who it is who is visiting him at night.

…Listen, listen, he croaks, looking into my face,
Getting closer and closer, and bending over me. ---
I haven’t seen any of the scoundrels
So uselessly and stupidly suffer from insomnia…

This black man keeps enumerating mockingly all the woes of S. A. Yesenin, until finally Yesenin cannot take it anymore:

Black man, you are an abominable guest.
I have long heard this rumor about you!
I am madly enraged, and my walking stick flies
Right toward his snout, into the bridge of his nose…
It is perfectly obvious here that Sergei Yesenin splits here. [More about it in the chapter Yesenin’s Bifurcations.] It looks like he cannot make up his mind. Now this black man is Yesenin himself, that is, his conscience. Now he appears as someone else…

Ah, you night, what kind of mischief have you been making, night?
I am standing in a top hat. There is nobody with me.
I am alone… And a broken mirror.

It is precisely from here that in Bulgakov’s Master and Margarita there appears the scene of Azazello’s emergence from a mirror in the no-good apartment of Stepa Likhodeev:

“Right out of the console mirror, came a small but exceptionally broad-shouldered fellow, wearing a top hat on his head and with a fang protruding from his mouth, disfiguring his already uncommonly despicable physiognomy. And, if that weren’t enough, his hair was flaming red.”

Despite all his pangs of conscience, Yesenin decides to keep his top hat, which means integrity to him, although not the other symbol of integrity, the sword, which he abandons in Anna Snegina:

But I did not take the sword…

As becomes crystal clear from Yesenin’s poems, both the theme of the sword and the theme of the top hat come to Bulgakov from Yesenin’s poetry.

The sword is prominently present in Bulgakov’s Master in Margarita, and so is the top hat, being the only item of clothing adorning the Backenbarter in Margarita’s river scene. The top hat is also conspicuous in several earlier works of Bulgakov, such as in Notes on the Cuffs and in the play Adam and Eve.

Like in Yesenin, Bulgakov’s top hat is associated with integrity. Bulgakov is more straightforward about it, though. Compare this line from an early Yesenin poem---

…There was a top hat, but now there is none…

---with Bulgakov’s brutal and bitter admission:

As for my top hat, having nothing to eat, I’ve already taken it to the market. Good people bought it… and made a chamber pot out of it.”

Yesenin does not go that far. He does not believe that he may have sold his integrity. He writes in Anna Snegina:

You are all right, you are of the countryside, ours,
You are not prone to boasting about your fame,
And you are not going to sell your heart!


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment