Thursday, March 19, 2015

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CLXXV.


Two Adversaries Continues.

““There we go… the horses… the sled… the snow…
Hey, coachman, make it fast!..

S. A. Yesenin.

What concerns Ivanushka, whose prototype happens to be Sergei Yesenin, everything becomes clear now, and many things appear differently from before. For instance:

“He [Ivan] was barefoot, in a torn whitish tolstovka, with a paper icon showing a faded image of some unknown saint pinned to the chest with a safety pin… In his hand Ivan Nikolayevich had a burning candle…”

This is actually Bulgakov’s take on Sergei Yesenin’s lines:

I am ashamed that I used to believe in God,
I bitterly regret that now I do not believe.

People’s reaction to Ivanushka’s appearance at the restaurant of the Writers’ House is also becoming clear. Sergei Yesenin drank, although according to Maxim Gorky, he drank unwillingly, as though by obligation… And it could be seen right away that he was a drinker. His eyelids were swollen, the whites of his eyes were inflamed…

Sergei Yesenin himself writes about this in his poems, as he writes about his arrests and bookings into sobering stations for hooliganism.---

Don’t ask me how old I am,
Possessed…
I have become, in soul, like a yellow skeleton.

And also this is what Yesenin writes in his Song:

I faded, where I don’t know.
In drunkenness perhaps?
Perhaps in fame?

Therefore the words said about Ivanushka in Master and Margarita (Sure thing: Delirium Tremens!) become clear. Brought into the psychiatric clinic because of his bizarre raving behavior in the restaurant, considering that he “wheezed, tried to bite, and yelled,” Ivan was administered a medical shot.

And how warmly, with what tenderness does Bulgakov describe Ivanushka, as “he suddenly lay down, put his head on the pillow, his fist in a childlike manner under his cheek, and mumbled something already in a sleepy voice without malice.”

How closely does this correspond to Maxim Gorky’s description of Yesenin: “He appeared to me like a boy of 15-17. Curly-haired and lit-up… he strongly reminded me of the postcards by [the famous artist-illustrator] Samokish-Sudkovskaya…”

6-7 years later, in Berlin, Yesenin still looked like an “adolescent,” although by that time he was already renowned as an “amazing poet from Ryazan.”

For Bulgakov, in Master and Margarita, Yesenin has remained a little boy in the image of Ivanushka at the psychiatric clinic.

Like V. V. Mayakovsky, Sergei Yesenin anticipates a wretched outcome for himself.---

Perhaps tomorrow a hospital bed
Will forever lay me to rest.
Perhaps tomorrow, quite the contrary,
I will leave, eternally healed…

The idea of sending Ivanushka to a psychiatric clinic also originates in Yesenin’s poetry:

For each of my barroom brawls
They kept me in [the sobering clinic].

Yesenin himself summed it up in his song, where in his delirium he is riding on a “fast troika with a coachman.”

There we go… the horses… the sled… the snow…
Hey, coachman, make it fast!..
I took over the whip and started whipping…
Suddenly a jolt…
I get up and see ---what the devil! ---
Instead of a fast troika,
 I am lying bandaged up upon a hospital bed.
And instead of the horses on a rough road,
I am whipping the hard bed
With a wet bandage.

One cannot say it better than Yesenin:

Wasn’t it yesterday that I drank away my youth?

***

Having never forgiven M. Yu. Lermontov for his reckless shot into the air at the duel that ended his life [see my posted segment XIX on this], Bulgakov certainly could not either understand or forgive S. Yesenin and V. Mayakovsky their suicide. He could well consider that they thus wasted their God-given talent, having absolutely no right to do that. Human life was sacred, to Bulgakov, and no matter how painfully his own life treated him, he always found a way out of every predicament, working on his literary creations to the end of his life.

Sergei Yesenin himself understood this very well. In his poem Song he writes:

The nightingale has one good song ---
It’s a funeral song for my head…
My thoughts, my thoughts! Pain in my temples and in the crown of the head.
I have wasted my youth with no time…

In another poem Yesenin regrets, “in [his] thirtieth year” that---

Too little did I demand in my youth,
Being stuck in the daze of a tavern.

Yesenin stays on with this theme in his famous poem Letter to Mother, following A. S. Pushkin’s “My little old woman,” and N. V. Gogol’s Letter to Mother ---

Are you still alive, my little old woman?
I am alive too, greetings to you, greetings!
…They write to me that, concealing your worry,
You are missing me dreadfully…
And in the evening’s blue dimness
The same thing often appears to you,
As though someone in a drunken tavern brawl
Thrust a Finnish knife under my heart…

So, here is where Bulgakov takes his own “Finnish knife” from, which already makes its appearance in the 1925 story Cockroach, that is, one year after Yesenin’s 1924 poem. It is that same “Finnish knife,” which Bulgakov liked so much, as we know, that many years later finds itself in the novel Master and Margarita.

Hence the stabbing of Judas in Pontius Pilate and the possible murder of master in his basement, about which in my future chapters.

In his poem Letter to Mother, Sergei Yesenin asks his mother:

It’s all right, my dear, do calm down!
This is just some depressing drivel.
After all, I am not such a hopeless drunk
That would die without seeing you first.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment