Sunday, July 30, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. CCCLXXX



A Swallow’s Nest of Luminaries.
God-Fearing Lecher.
Posting #8.


My fortress, my meekness,
My valor, my holiness…
…As though by a hand
Dropped into the night – Battle. –
My abandoned one!

Marina Tsvetaeva. Separation. 1921.


As I already wrote in my chapter The Spy Novel of Master and Margarita, Nikolai Ivanovich had to deal with government investigators as he had got involved, whether on his own or through Natasha’s will, with foreigners. It was his wife who had first approached the investigators.
In such a manner Bulgakov shows us a page from the life of Mandelstam himself, probably based on the gossip going around Moscow at the time. And indeed, Mandelstam was arrested and sent to the camps, where he died in 1938, that is, while Bulgakov was still alive.

In the 21st chapter of Master and Margarita, The Flight, Bulgakov describes an airborne encounter between the employer, that is Margarita, and her maid Natasha, flying upon a hog, that is upon Nikolai Ivanovich turned into a hog when Natasha smudged him as a joke with Azazello’s cream. I was always interested as to whom Bulgakov was portraying in the role of Nikolai Ivanovich. I have written about this in my chapter Ivanushka Through the Looking Glass.
But without having read Marina Tsvetaeva’s prose it had been impossible for me to establish who Nikolai Ivanovich really was.
Except that Ivan Nikolayevich and Nikolai Ivanovich belonged to the same profession, but were diametrically opposed to each other, as their name and patronymic state.
It is precisely that chapter of mine, Ivanushka Through the Looking Glass, that shows my evolution from ignorance to knowledge. The most important element of human consciousness is the realization that one does not understand something. This realization leads to asking yourself the right questions, and thus putting the learning process to work.
Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyrev (Bezdomny) and Nikolai Ivanovich No-Last-Name…
Being a poet from the people, Sergei Alexandrovich Yesenin holds high the standard of his title.
On the other hand, Mandelstam is also a poet, but Bulgakov shows him as a thief stealing lines from other poets. This is why the money paid to Andrei Fokich Sokov [Mandelstam in the first part of Master and Margarita] turns in his possession into shredded paper. But when he brings this shredded paper to the apartment #50, it turns back into real money in the presence of real and original poets from whom these lines had actually been stolen.
Having established this fact, Bulgakov does not return the real money into the state of shredded paper anymore. But when Andrei Fokich pays the money to the doctor for his medical visit that money turns into Abrau-Dyurso labels in the hand of the physician. (This puzzle will be solved by me in my future sub-chapter Barbarian at the Gate.)

***

The transformation of Nikolai Ivanovich into a hog is also understandable, considering Mandelstam’s swinish treatment of women.
Protesting his forcible metamorphosis to Margarita, Nikolai Ivanovich demands that she bring her housemaid to order. It is the same Nikolai Ivanovich who earlier, returning Margarita’s nightshirt to Natasha, had been making insistent passes on her. –

What was he saying, scoundrel! – squealed and laughed Natasha. – What was he saying! What was he trying to tempt me to! How much money was he promising! He said that Claudia Petrovna [his wife] would never know. What are you saying now, that I am lying? – yelled Natasha to the hog, and all the other could do was to turn his snout away in embarrassment.”

Nikolai Ivanovich had nothing to counter Natasha’s accusations with, but people pressed to the wall by the truth oftentimes launch a counterattack. This is precisely what Nikolai Ivanovich did.

I demand to be returned to my normal form! – suddenly and either fervidly or pleadingly snored and grunted the hog. – I have no intention for an illegal gathering! [sic!] Margarita Nikolayevna, you must bring your housemaid to order!

But hadn’t he just recently called Natasha (in his opinion, just another idiot) a “goddess,” “Venus,” etc.?
What is being called “an illegal gathering” is Bulgakov’s way of pointing out that the Revolution notwithstanding, people in Russia were partying and having fun just like people do in all other, “free countries.” It is especially clear from the description of the interaction between Margarita and her housemaid Natasha and their neighbor in the mansion Nikolai Ivanovich.
Natasha and her hog reappear at the end of the 22nd chapter of Master and Margarita: With Candles. Azazello identifies them as “outsiders,” at the same time calling Natasha “a beauty.” Which prompts Woland to make a remark, for some reason in the plural:

These beauties behave rather strangely, don’t they?

We are by no means saying goodbye to Natasha. She will come back into the picture in my future chapter Guests at Satan’s Great Ball.

***

Having studied the meaning of Margarita’s nakedness, as well as the meaning of her “nightshirt,” pointing to the fact that Margarita’s prototype was a poetess, I was still at a loss because of Bulgakov’s following words:

“Waving [her blue nightshirt] like a [military] standard, she [Margarita] flew out of the window.”

I decided to revisit Marina Tsvetaeva’s poetry most diligently, hoping to find my answer in it. I was lucky. Already on page 37 of my Collection of Tsvetaeva’s Works, I found a poem she wrote on May 19, 1920, on the eve of the Russian Orthodox Holiday of The Ascension, as she herself makes a note of…
At this point Bulgakov’s exceptional sense of humor comes into play. Having rubbed herself with Azazello’s cream, Margarita attains weightlessness, and finds herself in a state of levitation. [See my chapter Margarita and the Wolf.]
Meanwhile, the title of Marina Tsvetaeva’s Ascension-Eve poem is Nailed. In this poem, she gets too verbose to make her innocence believable. Moreover, in her memoir A Night at the Conservatoire [see my chapter Margarita: Queen and the Revolution] she is writing about the rumors of her marital infidelity, circulating in Moscow at the time when her husband Sergei Efron had been called up for military service in 1917 on the fronts of World War I.
This memoir, which she wrote allegedly from the person of her seven-year-old daughter, betrays Marina Tsvetaeva’s ruse – lock, stock, and barrel. Yet this is not how she represents herself in the poem Nailed:

Nailed to a pillory of shame
Of the ancient Slavic conscience,
With a snake in my heart and my brow branded,
I insist that I am – innocent…

A year later, in May 1921, Marina Tsvetaeva writes in a poem dedicated to her husband Sergei Efron and titled Separation:

My fortress, my meekness,
My valor, my holiness…
[All these epithets are for her husband!]
…As though by a hand
Dropped into the night – Battle. –
My abandoned one!
[A play on words in Russian: “sbroshennyi-broshennyi”: “dropped-abandoned.”]

In other words, Marina Tsvetaeva explicitly confesses here her betrayal to both her husband, and to her daughter Alya.


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment