Tuesday, October 10, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. CDLXIII



The Garden.
Blok’s Nightingale Garden.
Posting #1.


 “…By the way, tell me if it is true that you entered Yershalaim through the gates of Souza, riding on a donkey and accompanied by a mob of lowlife loudly welcoming you like some kind of prophet?

M. A. Bulgakov. Master and Margarita.


Before I move on to the personages of Aphranius, Yeshua, and Caiaphas, I have decided to post my series on A. A. Blok’s Nightingale Garden. After all, Matthew Levi and Yeshua do come across each other at the corner of a large fig garden. By the same token, Bulgakov also has a “nightingale garden” in his sub-novel Pontius Pilate.
I had previously thought of placing this series in my chapter on the mysticism of Russian poets related to my work on Bulgakov.

***


When I read Alexander Blok’s long poem The Nightingale Garden for the first time in my preparation for writing the chapter Strangers in the Night, I was right away struck by the thought that this Blokian work was in some way very close to Bulgakov’s sub-novel Pontius Pilate of Master and Margarita. It was the same feeling that I had with regard to Gumilev’s Golden Knight.
Several chapters later, namely, after Margarita Beyond Good and Evil: A Swallow’s Nest of Luminaries, and parts of The Bard, having returned to Strangers in the Night for the next stage of work on this chapter, I was rereading my book of Blok’s poetry and, having reached the Nightingale Garden, I discovered what I had missed before.
I do not know whether I will have enough time left to finish The Nightingale Garden, for which reason I am putting down these notes, which have to be sufficient to open yet another mysterious page in the work of this amazing writer, Mikhail Afanasievich Bulgakov. Only a genius could dissect Blok’s poem in such a way that it becomes clear what and where from all of it comes.
Many puzzles in this poem receive their solution, and the most important of them is where Bulgakov has taken his story of Christ and Judas from.
As I already wrote before, it is precisely in Blok that I discern the self-conscious psychological split and the struggle of good and evil.
Blok’s poem is written at a mature age. Its hero is a man who has a hard life and always dreams of getting himself over to the other side of being, the sweet side. Working, together with his donkey, at a quarry, he happens to pass each time by the fence of a “cool shady garden.” –

Down the fence, high and long,
Blooms of unneeded roses are hanging toward us,
Nightingale singing never stops,
The brooks and the leaves are whispering something.

The poor man with the donkey is increasingly haunted by dreams of “another life – mine, not mine…” He imagines that in that life –

…The curses of life never reach
This garden, surrounded by a wall…

It also seems to him that –

…In the blue dusk, a white dress
Streaks behind the carved lattice…
And light-footed, she beckons me,
And calls me to her by her dancing and singing…

Everything changes now in the pauper’s life:

…The tired donkey is resting,
The old hut on the sand under a rock has been abandoned…

The pauper decides to try his luck in the Nightingale Garden:

…And the familiar, empty [without the donkey loaded with stones], rocky,
But today a mysterious road [sic!]
Once again leads to the shady fence…

Blok is musing:

…is it punishment or a reward awaiting me
If I deviate from my regular way?
Is it possible to knock on the door of the nightingale garden,
And is it possible to enter it?..
The past now feels strange [to the beggar],
And [his] hand won’t return to hard labor.
The heart knows that in this nightingale garden
[He] will be a welcome guest…

And indeed:

…The heart told me the truth.
And the fence was not scary at all.
I never knocked, she herself opened
The utterly inaccessible door…

As is often the case in Blok’s poetry, he seems to be moving into unequivocally sexual matters, but even here we must pay special attention to the “thorny roses” which in Blok are closely connected to the image of Christ.
Intoxicated not just by the golden wine, but by the embrace of the woman in white, Blok starts a discourse about the rocky road that he had left behind him and about his “poor comrade” in labor, the donkey whom he had abandoned.

…The soul can no longer be deaf
To the distant noise of the tide…

Once he starts talking about the soul, it becomes perfectly clear that this whole poem is an allegory of the devil’s temptation. Blok shows it with the words:

“…And descending the stones of the fence,
I disrupted the flowers’ oblivion.
Their [roses’] thorns, like hands, from the garden
Were catching my clothes…

The beguiling spell of the “woman in white” was broken.

…And it seemed as though I could hear
Beyond the distant roar of the tide
A pleading, lamenting bray [of the donkey]…

Blok clarifies:

“…The donkey’s bray was protracted and long,
Penetrating my soul like a moan…

What does the mystical poet wish to tell us, if not to draw our attention by the words “prickly roses” and “their thorns,” and also “donkey.” He calls the donkey his “comrade,” and he is drawn to the “pleading, lamenting bray” thus effectively pointing to Jesus Christ entering Jerusalem on a donkey, according to the New Testament of the Bible.
…And yet in Bulgakov’s Pontius Pilate the story about the donkey takes a different twist. The Procurator asks Yeshua:

“…By the way, tell me if it is true that you entered Yershalaim through the gates of Souza, riding on a donkey and accompanied by a mob of chern [lowlife] loudly welcoming you like some kind of prophet?

We will return to the significance of the word “chern” and to Yeshua’s reply to the procurator in the next posting.


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment