Friday, October 20, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. CDLXXII



The Garden.
Aphranius.
Posting #3.


She has eyes of the color of the sea.
She has a soul that cannot be trusted.

K. D. Balmont.


I came to the unexpected thought discussed in the previous posting seeing that the portraits and photographs of Balmont are totally at variance with Bulgakov’s portrait of Aphranius. And then I remembered that while I was working on my chapter A Swallow’s Nest of Luminaries: Mr. Lastochkin, I was reading, in particular, the memoirs of Mme. Nevedomskaya with her description of Gumilev’s appearance. Comparing that description with the description of Aphranius in Bulgakov I could not miss the resemblance.
I am writing this to demonstrate on yet another occasion how “sly” Bulgakov is. Indeed, he gives Gumilev’s features to different characters of the novel Master and Margarita, even including Woland among them, in chapter 12: Black Magic and its Unmasking. –

“The arriving celebrity stunned everybody by his tuxedo, unseen in its length and of an amazing design, as well as by the fact that he was wearing a black half-mask.”

Among all possible candidates this description can only fit Gumilev. Here is an excerpt from the memoirs of Mme. Nevedomskaya:

“…Gumilev himself as the circus director was performing in a great-grandfather’s tuxedo and top hat, extracted from a trunk in the attic.”

As for the personage of Aphranius, Balmont becomes his prototype mostly due to Marina Tsvetaeva’s memoirs:

“...Balmont, Bryusov, they were both reigning then. As you see, in other worlds, contrary to ours, diarchy is possible.”

In her 1919 poem To Balmont, Marina Tsvetaeva also writes:

In the turned inside out Mantle
Of the Enemies of the People,
Established by the whole posture:
The Lukovitsa– and Freedom…

[The Lukovitsaonion-bulb” here refers to the onion-shaped dome of the Russian churches, symbolizing Russian Orthodox Christianity.]

This poem by Marina Tsvetaeva supports my assertion that Bulgakov knew her poetry very well, and used it for his creative purposes.

The sly Bulgakov makes Balmont the prototype for Aphranius, Chief of Roman Secret Police, as Balmont was a subject of Russian Secret Police surveillance both in Russia and abroad, due to his well-established revolutionary activity. This is why it can well be imagined that the strange conversation about Varravan in Bulgakov alludes to Balmont’s departure from Russia in 1920 before the arrest and execution of Gumilev in 1921.
This thought is supported by the even stranger idea, expressed by Marina Tsvetaeva, to the effect that both Balmont and Gumilev were foreigners. For not only is Balmont the prototype of two Bulgakovian personages: Aphranius and Varravan, but also the personage of Aphranius is shared by Balmont and Gumilev.

***


But I am now focusing my attention on another Russian poet, a candidate for the role of Varravan – namely, Andrei Bely, who left Russia amidst a huge scandal after the death of Blok and the execution of Gumilev.
Once again, using the materials provided by Marina Tsvetaeva, I am entertaining the idea of Bely, whose features are scattered by Bulgakov among several personages of Master and Margarita, in accordance with the erratic character of Andrei Bely himself.
Like Balmont, Andrei Bely saw himself as a revolutionary. Addressing a conference of literary professionals, where he was invited to deliver a speech on Blok, Bely managed to create a scandal according to one of the organizers of this event – P. S. Kogan [see earlier in this chapter Posting #CCCCXLVII]:

“P. S. Kogan understood neither poets nor poetry, but loved and honored both, and did for them what he could.
And they call him a writer, a big man, this is a scandal!
Who? What?
[I’m talking about] Bely. Thought he would be talking about Blok… But suddenly: From hunger! From hunger! From hunger! Gout from hunger like there’s gout from satiety! Asthma of the soul! But this is not all. Suddenly – from Blok – to himself. I have no room! I am a writer of the Russian land (yes, that’s what he said!), and I haven’t got a stone to repose my head upon, that is, a stone, a stone there is, but we are not in the stony Galilee, we are in the revolutionary Moscow, where a writer must be helped. I wrote [the novel] Peterburg! I foresaw the collapse of the Tsarist Russia, I had a dream in my sleep back in 1905 about the end of the Tsar!.. I cannot write! This is disgraceful! I have earned help! I’ve been working since childhood! In this hall I see idlers, parasites (yes, that’s what he said!), they write nothing, they only put their signatures down [sic!]… Profiteers! Vermin! And I am the proletariat! Lumpenproletariat! Because I am dressed in rags. Because they killed Blok and now they want to kill me. But I’m not giving in! I will be yelling until I’m heard! A-a-a-a!!! Pale, red-faced, sweat pouring down, frightening eyes, even more frightening than ever, one can see that they cannot see a thing. And they call him an Intelligent, a man of culture, a serious writer. That’s how he honored Blok’s memory by standing up!

What P. S. Kogan is saying reminds of Caiaphas’ argument. Kogan goes on telling Tsvetaeva that Andrei Bely is a writer. “And most importantly, not a writer hostile to us.
This sentence gives a creepy feeling to the skin. Does it follow that Gumilev and Blok had been “hostiles”? And what about Bryusov, Yesenin, and Mayakovsky? Were they also “hostiles,” according to somebody?
Marina Tsvetaeva’s memoir raises a lot of questions about the times she is writing about, her own times. It turns out that Bulgakov may also have been a “hostile” writer, knowing that he was not published. His fate could well have been problematic, had he not married Elena Sergeevna… But returning to Andrei Bely, there is another, even more compelling reason for him to fit the role of Varravan. The following conversation between Pontius Pilate and Aphranius testifies to it:

To begin with, this cursed Varravan does not worry you?
Here the guest sent his special glance into the procurator’s cheek. – I would think that Varravan has become as harmless as a lamb. – As the guest was speaking, his round face became creased with little wrinkles. – Rioting is inconvenient for him now.
[And here it comes!]
He has become too famous? – asked Pilate with a sneer.
As always, the procurator has a delicate understanding of the issue.
[Here Pilate clearly points to Andrei Bely’s celebrated novel Peterburg.]
But in any case – the procurator observed worriedly, and his long finger with the black stone of the signet went up. – We’ll have to…
Oh, Procurator, you may be certain that for as long as I am in Judea, Varravan will not make a single move without being closely followed.
Well, now I am relieved, as I am always relieved when you are here.

It must be said that even here Bulgakov confounds the researcher, as he takes part of this surveillance from Marina Tsvetaeva’s memoir, based on the words of Andrei Bely himself. Part II of her memoirs starts with this surveillance, for which she supplies the epigraph:

“(Geister auf dem Gange)
Drinnen gefange ist Einer.
[“(Ghosts in the inner porch)
One of us is in a trap.”]

Having left Russia, Andrei Bely came to Berlin. Accidentally meeting Marina Tsvetaeva in a restaurant, he starts a conversation:

You? You? (He never knew my name.) Here? How happy I am! How long since you came? Are you here to stay? On your way were you watched? Was there some kind of… (he looks askance) brunet? Someone trailing you? A brunet in the train-car gorge, over the railway station stalactite spaces?.. The tap of a walking stick… are you sure there wasn’t? Peeping into the compartment: Sorry, my mistake! And an hour later: Sorry! And a third time, now you are saying it to him: You are sorry, your mistake. No? Didn’t happen? Are you sure you remember well that it wasn’t so? I am very shortsighted. And he wears glasses. Yes. The point is that you who can’t see are without glasses [sic!], and he who can see is with glasses. Get it? It means that he cannot see, either. For, the lenses are not for seeing but for altering the image – for the appearances. Plain glass, or even empty [eyeglasses]. You understand this horror: empty glasses! You accidentally poke him in the eye – and the warm eye, like some cleaned just-peeled, quivering hard-boiled egg. And with such eyes – hard-boiled – he dares to look into yours: clear, bright, with living pupils; their color of amazing purity. Where have I ever seen such eyes? When?

It is precisely this part that supports my thought that no matter how tempting it may be to see K. D. Balmont in the characters of both Aphranius and Varravan, I am leaning toward Andrei Bely.
The key words here are:

He has become too famous? – asked Pilate with a sneer.

I am suggesting that the reader try to solve this Bulgakovian puzzle. As for me, I will be offering my solution in my last chapter The Bard.


To be continued…


***

No comments:

Post a Comment