Monday, October 30, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. CDLXXXI



The Garden.
Gumilev.
Posting #3.


Apostle Peter, get your keys:
One worthy of Paradise is knocking on your door.

N. S. Gumilev. Paradise.

He faced war with perfect simplicity, with straightforward fervor. He was perhaps one of those few people in Russia whose soul was encountered by war in a state of maximum combat readiness. His patriotism was as unconditional as his religious confession was cloudless. I haven’t seen anybody whose nature was more alien to doubt… His mind, dogmatic and stubborn, was devoid of any duplicity.

A. Ya. Levinson. Gumilev’s Obituary.


The ending of N. S. Gumilev’s poem Memory may well have been written under the influence of A. S. Pushkin’s Scenes From the Times of the Knights. As for Gumilev’s ultimate wish as such, it clearly comes out of his poem Paradise and from his poetry collection The Quiver (1911-1915).

Apostle Peter, get your keys:
One worthy of Paradise is knocking on your door.

Gumilev recourses to the help of the Saints, in order to confirm his worthiness:

Saint Thomas with the Fathers of the Church
Will show that I was straight in the Dogmata,
And let Saint George relate to them the story
How at the time of war I was fighting the enemies,
Saint Anthony can then corroborate
That I could never subdue my flesh,
But then Saint Cecilia’s mouth
Will whisper that my soul is pure…

And again Gumilev appeals to Apostle Peter:

…Apostle Peter, if you turn me down
And I will have to leave, what will I do in Hell?
My love will melt the ice of Hell,
And my tear will drown Hell’s fire…

And should even that be not enough –

In front of you dark Seraphim
Will appear as my intercessor.

Having run out of arguments, Gumilev pleads with St. Peter one last time;

Delay no more, and get your keys:
One worthy of Paradise is knocking on your door.

In Bulgakov’s Master and Margarita, master’s prototype Gumilev does not get into Paradise. Eternal Rest awaits him. Master does not even make the least effort to knock on the door of Paradise. Instead, he gets a knock on his door. Bulgakov deliberately draws the reader’s attention to it.

A quarter of an hour after she [Margarita] left, I received a knock on my window.

Released three months later, master commits himself into a psychiatric clinic (if anybody can believe that!), where Bulgakov makes him, on top of everything, the “keeper of the keys,” after master steals them from the head nurse.
Master does not even think about Paradise. Having listened to Ivan’s story, he expresses his regret that it had not been he himself to meet Woland.

Ah, ah! How peeved am I that it was you who met him, and not I. Although all has burned out, and the coals are covered over by ashes, still I swear that for such a meeting I would have given Praskovia Fedorovna’s bundle of keys, as I have nothing else to give: I am a pauper.

In order to understand where Bulgakov is coming from, we need to look at another Gumilev poem, titled Gates of Paradise from his poetry collection Pearls (1907-1910).
As we see, this poem was written long before Paradise from the collection The Quiver (1911-15). In this poem Gumilev explains why it is so hard to get into Paradise.

Not under seven diamond seals is locked
The entrance to God’s paradise…
…It is a door in the wall long abandoned,
Rocks and moss, and nothing else,
Nearby a pauper, like an uninvited guest,
And there are keys at his waist.

Knowing in advance that master is not destined for Paradise, the devil (Woland) offers an alternative, namely, a diamond-studded golden horseshoe, which implies a suggestion to join the magnificent four.
We also find out why Bulgakov gives Praskovia Fedorovna’s bundle of keys to master, and also makes him a pauper. This proves yet again that Gumilev’s features are present in master.
I am very fond of the end of Gumilev’s poem. –

Knights and men in armor are passing by,
All of them dream: There at God’s Sepulcher,
The Gates of Paradise will open for us…
Thus the slow monstrosity goes by,
Howling, the ringing horn is blaring,
And Apostle Peter in tattered rags
Is pale and wretched, like a beggar.

Without Gumilev’s poetry, many of Bulgakov’s puzzles could not have been solved. And I cannot help thinking that just like in Gumilev’s poem the crowd passes by without noticing either the door to Paradise or Apostle Peter himself carrying the keys to Paradise, mistaking him for a dirty beggar, readers of Master and Margarita, reading through this unique novel, are missing the most interesting things about it, namely, that the novel contains the crème de la crème of Russian poetry.
And had it not been for the character of V. S. Lastochkin, particularly his last name, which Bulgakov chose to give him, I myself might never have guessed that he had included in the novel yet another unique Russian poet with a unique fate.

Way back, in his Romantic Flowers (1903-1907), Gumilev writes the following lines about war in his poem Death, published in 1906, that is, long before the start of the world war, which he would join as a volunteer.

You [death] seemed so golden-drunken,
Baring your sparkling breast,
You were, amidst the mist of blood,
Charting the course to the heavens.

This means that even in the pre-war years Gumilev welcomes death as the road to Paradise.

…And blood was streaming through the veins faster,
And the muscles of the arm got stronger…
You were luring me with a song of Paradise,
And you and I shall meet in Paradise.

Hence, Bulgakov gives Woland the words in Chapter 23 of Master and Margarita to the effect that all theories are worth each other. One among them says that each will receive according to his faith.
Although Gumilev was interested in the “secrets of other religions,” he was a Christian at heart. His numerous poems testify to this fact. He really believed that he would be admitted to Paradise. He has a poem to this effect, titled Paradise, in the poetry collection Quiver, which he wrote during the period of 1911-1915. –

Apostle Peter, get your keys:
One worthy of Paradise is knocking on your door...

Having enumerated his virtues, Gumilev concedes to a single vice:

…Saint Anthony can then corroborate
That I could never subdue my flesh...

Once again, Gumilev appeals to Apostle Peter:

…Apostle Peter, if you turn me down
And I shall have to leave, what shall I do in Hell?
My love will melt the ice of Hell,
And my tear will drown Hell’s fire.
In front of you dark Seraphim
Will appear as my intercessor.
Delay no more, and get your keys:
One worthy of Paradise is knocking on your door!

And so, of the three poets – Blok, Bely, and Gumilev – Gumilev alone considers himself worthy of Paradise. Whereas Blok writes in his poem opening the cycle Motherland (1907-1916):

You walked away, and I am in a desert,
Clinging to the hot sand.
But the tongue can no longer
Utter the proud word.
Having no sorrow about what had been,
I understood your [Russia’s] loftiness:
Yes, you are native Galilee
To me – the unrisen [sic!] Christ.

In the poem The Eternal Call, dedicated to the philosopher D. S. Merezhkovsky, in the cycle Gold in the Azure, Andrei Bely, his usual self, writes:

Preaching an imminent end,
I appeared as though a new Christ,
Having crowned myself with a wreath of thorns,
Adorned with the flame of roses...
They were laughing at me,
At the mad and preposterous false-Christ...”

Two months later, on August 2, 1903, Andrei Bely writes the poem The Evening Sacrifice -- for a different cycle Crimson Mantle in Thorns:

I stood there like a fool
In my sparkling crown,
In a golden chiton,
Fastened by an amethyst –
Alone, alone, like a pole,
In faraway deserts,
Waiting for throngs of people
Genuflecting...

This is how Andrei Bely – as different from Blok – describes himself, as a new Savior.
In other words, despite the fact that certain features of Blok and Bely are present in the image of Yeshua, it is only Nikolai Stepanovich Gumilev who is Yeshua’s sole and true prototype.

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment