Sunday, August 3, 2014

GALINA SEDOVA’S BULGAKOV. CXVII.

Cats Continues.


“…My clever cat has gone a-fishing
And catching birds into his net…”

Nikolai Gumilev. Marquis de Carabas.
(Gumilev’s poem will continue into the next posting’s epigraph.)


Showing people as cats,--- both in Diaboliada (1923) and in Master and Margarita (1940),--- in Notes of a Dead Man (1938) Bulgakov shows us some representatives of the feline breed proper. There are two cats here. One is a sick female cat whom the novel’s main character S. L. Maksudov “once picked up in the gates,” moved by pity and his own sense of loneliness. The other cat is a fat striped male belonging to the theater director for whom Maksudov is writing a play.

Although the adventures of the male cat-neurasthenic are hilarious in themselves----

[This cat presumably belonged to the world-famous stage director of the Moscow Arts Theater K. S. Stanislavsky, and in the novel this cat, with his “obesity of the heart, myocarditis, and neurasthenia,” is likened to Stanislavsky himself, whom Bulgakov reproaches to the effect that despite being a great actor (the Stanislavsky school of acting is revered all around the world), he fails to sense falsehood in others. At the same time, Bulgakov hints at his own, Bulgakov’s neurasthenia, as he all of a sudden is ready, like the “fat striped cat” to climb up the tulle “curtain” himself, being intimidated by his real-life host. This psychological etude will be presented later on in this chapter.]

----we begin with that first female cat, adopted by Maksudov, which allows us to enter the Bulgakov world.

Bulgakov writes that the novel “had been born” in Maksudov “after a sad dream.”

…In the dream I was struck by my loneliness, I felt sorry for myself. And I woke up in tears… I felt that I was about to die then and there… the miserable fear of death humiliated me to such an extent that I groaned, turned around in alarm, looking for help, for protection against death. And then I found that help. The cat meowed softly… The animal was worried…

In other words, as soon as Maksudov feels dejected, the cat appears. Just like in Master and Margarita, where Margarita “appears” to Master on three separate occasions precisely when he is going through a crisis. [See my chapter Who-R-U, Margarita?, posted segments XCVII, et al.]

“…In a second, the animal was already sitting on the newspapers, looking at me with round eyes, asking what happened? The smoky lean animal was interested in having nothing happened. And indeed, who else would be feeding this old cat?

How closely do these lines about loneliness echo the words of Master in Master and Margarita:

Thousands of people were walking up and down Tverskaya Street, but I can assure you that she saw me alone…and I was struck not so much by her [Margarita’s] beauty as by the singular, unseen by anyone, loneliness in her eyes.” [See my posted segment XCIX.]

In Notes of a Dead Man [Theatrical Novel] it is the novel’s hero Maksudov who is lonely, and it is because of this loneliness that he “picks up a cat in the gates,” and in this cat he finds the help he needs.

This is just an attack of neurasthenia, I explained to the cat. It is already living inside me, it will develop, and it will gnaw me down. But meanwhile it is still possible to live.

And in Master and Margarita:

She was saying that she went out that day with the yellow flowers in hand in order to be found by me, and if that had not happened she would have poisoned herself, because her life was empty.”

Here Bulgakov writes that it is Margarita who is lonely, she has “neurasthenia” because she wants to “poison” herself. (Incidentally, this proves yet again that Master and Margarita are one and the same person.)

What else is interesting to note, having woken up “in tears” Maksudov looks for “help and protection from death.” And he finds this help in the cat.

In Master and Margarita Master wakes up from fear at 2 am in the morning.---

I went to bed like a man falling sick, and woke up sick... I cried out, and the thought came to me to run to somebody… I was fighting myself like a madman… Please guess that I am in trouble... Come, come, come!... But nobody came... Then somebody started scratching the window glass from the outside... softly...

In the Notes of a Dead Man Bulgakov writes:

On the asphalt-paved yard, in a soundless thievish trot, there passed male cats of all colors… I let the cat out into the yard, then came back and fell asleep…”

In Master and Margarita Bulgakov does not say that Master actually sees Margarita; as it happened during her regular visits:

Sometimes she played for fun, and taking her time by the second small window, she would knock on the glass with her toe. That very second I would find myself at that window, but the shoe and the black silk would vanish—then I would go to open the door.

It is amazing that on the night when he had an acute attack of neurasthenia, with the “fire roaring” in the wood furnace, and as he was “breaking his nails, tearing up the notebooks and sticking them in vertically between the burning logs, and stirring the pages with a poker, as they perished only when they blackened,” and Master “furiously put them out with the poker,” it was only then, in a state of extreme agitation that Master heard that “someone was scratching at the window, softly.”

But how could an agitated man experiencing an attack of neurasthenia hear that soft scratching amidst all that noise?

It is most likely that Master could also have a cat whom he would let out for a walk, and whom he was taking care of, on account of his own loneliness. It was this cat who was scratching on the window lightly… In my chapter on Bulgakov, in the segment Who-R-U, Margarita? I write fairly extensively that Margarita is a figment of Master’s imagination. I give my proof that Master and Margarita are one and the same person, using Bulgakov’s own text. [See my segments XCVII et al. for more.]

But what an interesting picture is shaping up here! Notes of a Dead Man were written two years before the death of Bulgakov and the corresponding final version of Master and Margarita. What then is Bulgakov trying to say here if not that Master and Margarita are one and the same person? Or is there, even here, yet another angle under which we have not considered Margarita?..

Returning to Maksudov and his cat, we read:

Just like an impatient youth awaits the hour of the rendez-vous, was I waiting for one o’clock in the morning. The cursed apartment quieted down by that time. I would then sit down at my desk… The interested cat would sit down upon the newspapers, but the novel interested her greatly, and she would attempt to relocate herself from the printed newspaper page to my written page. And I would take her by the scruff and get her back to her place.

Compare the place in Master and Margarita where Woland tells the Cat:

Hey, Begemot, give us here that novel [Master’s novel, burned by him a long time ago]. The Cat instantly jumped off the chair, and everybody saw that he had been sitting on a thick pile of manuscripts. It was the top copy which the Cat presented to Woland with a deep bow.”

And here comes that famous phrase, belonging to Woland: Manuscripts do not burn.You bet they do not burn, because the proper organizations (that is, the “cats,” or, as I call them, the “intelligent cats of intelligence”; they will be the centerpiece of a special segment later on) always have copies of these manuscripts in their possession.

To be continued in the next posting tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment