Friday, December 22, 2017

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DXI



Who is Who in Master?
Posting #17.


I love you, my Guardian Angel in darkness,
In darkness that is with me all the time on earth…
For having been my radiant bride,..

Alexander Blok. Guardian Angel.


The next situation in which Alexander Blok also takes center stage consists of several components.

“The arrestee was the first to speak: I see that some kind of trouble has occurred because of my talk with that youth from Kyriath. I am having a premonition that a misfortune has befallen him, and I am very sorry for him...

The Procurator is struck by the fact that Yeshua still does not realize the danger of his situation, and starts asking him whether Yeshua believes “in any gods.”

God is One, and in Him I believe.
Then pray to him! Pray hard. Although this won’t help. You have a wife?.. Abhorrent city!.. Had you been slaughtered before your meeting with Judas from Kyriath, you would surely have fared better...

A lot of interesting material pertaining to Blok is contained here. As always I resort to poetry. In 1906, he wrote the poem Guardian Angel about his love for his wife, who later abandoned him. This is how we can explain Yeshua’s answer to Pilate’s question: You have a wife?

No, I am by myself.

Then Blok moves on to himself:

Because I want to but dare not to kill –
Take revenge on the faint-hearted who lived without fire,
Those who have humiliated my people and me!
Who locked up the free and the strong in prison,
Who long disbelieved my fire,
Who wishes for money to deprive me of the light of day,
Who wants to buy a dog’s obedience from me,
Because I am weak and ready to succumb,
Because my ancestors are generations of slaves…
And the soul has been killed by the poison of tenderness,
And this hand shall not raise a knife…

This Blokian poem does not contain the word “slaughter,” which is used not by Yeshua but by Pontius Pilate. Which is the reason why I am putting together the following two lines from Blok’s Guardian Angel:

“...Because I want to, but dare not to kill –
And this hand shall not raise a knife…

“To kill” using “a knife” means to “slaughter.” Yeshua does not intend to take revenge on Judas. Revenge never enters his head. He feels sorry for Judas because as a result of his visit Judas may get in trouble.
The word “slaughter” in Bulgakov is connected with Pontius Pilate, who uses this word in conjunction with the word “premonition” in the 25th chapter in order to impress on Aphranius that Judas is going to be slaughtered. In a very interesting fashion, Bulgakov conveys this dialogue between the procurator and the chief of secret police. On the one hand, it is not in Pilate’s interest to openly admit to Aphranius that it is he who wishes Judas to be slaughtered. Which is why Pilate orders the assassination in a convoluted way. He has no proof that someone else wants to murder Judas, but insists that such information exists.

Such information exists. Let me not talk about it. Moreover, it is accidental, dark, and unreliable. But I am obligated to foresee everything. Such is the burden of my office…

[And here it comes!]

And more than anything else I must trust my premonition, for it has never failed me yet…

And then again Pilate tries to convince Aphranius:

And still, they will slaughter him tonight – stubbornly repeated Pilate. – I have this premonition, I’m telling you! Never once has it failed me.

Why does Bulgakov borrow this word from Yeshua and passes it on from the 2nd chapter of Master and Margarita to the 25th?
Apparently, this journey of “premonition” from Yeshua to Pontius Pilate can be explained by the following words of Bulgakov in chapter 2:

“It seemed to the procurator that he had left something unsaid with the condemned man, and perhaps even something unlistened to.”

So what could it be? It is quite possible that Pilate understood Yeshua’s words backwards, because it is precisely Pilate who was trying to convince Aphranius that Judas was to be slaughtered on Paschal Night. But it is most likely that Pilate was influenced by other words of Yeshua after he had finally understood with Pilate’s help that some people wanted to kill him and asked the procurator to let him go.
The subsequent feeling of guilt affected Pontius Pilate. He was also overcome by sheer humiliation, having directly asked Caiaphas three times to have Yeshua released, and having been denied his request.
Using the word premonition, not only was he able to convince Aphranius to have Judas slaughtered without giving him an express order to do so, and thus maintaining his deniability. In such a manner he avenged both the death of Yeshua and his own failure in the face of Caiaphas’s stubborn resistance by having the blood money returned to the High Priest on the same Paschal Night.
This is when Aphranius fully understood what was expected of him. Bulgakov writes:

Imagine how pleasant it will be for the High Priest to receive such a gift on holiday night!
Not only pleasant! – replied the guest [Aphranius], smiling. – I suppose that there will be a very big scandal there.

As my chapter The Garden with Caiaphas in it has already come out, we can note here, without a spoiler in the making, that apparently V. Ya. Bryusov appealed to K. D. Balmont, but lost. Bulgakov describes this scene somewhat prematurely. The procurator’s “premonition” was a premonition of Bryusov himself, as he must have been struck by the virtually simultaneous deaths of his two best students, the two greats: Blok and Gumilev.
Bryusov’s “premonition” proved itself right. Three years later, in 1924, the same “poetic vermin” (Marina Tsvetaeva’s term to designate the worst of the worst in the literary circles of Russia) would destroy him too.

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment