Monday, May 14, 2018

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DCCIII



Guests At Satan’s Great Ball.
The 20-Year-Old Lad.
Posting #3.


“…But do not curse the strange tales
About how the incomprehensible dream went on…

Alexander Blok. Song of Hell.


In the poem Song of Hell, Blok writes about his deception, as even here he splits himself in two:

…Here only is our earthly deception powerless,
And I am looking, troubled by a presentiment,
Into a mirror’s depth, through morning fog…

Once again we have mirrors with deception in them. Oh, the great fairytale master Hans Christian Andersen!

…And toward me, from the web of darkness,
Comes out a youth, in a tight-fitting garb…

This youth is Blok himself, as in the preceding poem of the same cycle, Doppelganger, Blok confesses:

…Perhaps I met myself on that mirror plane?..

The same variation comes up in the poem Song of Hell:

…A wilted rose bloom in the tuxedo’s lapel,
Paler than the lips on the face of a corpse;
On the finger – a symbol of a mysterious marriage –
Shines the sharp amethyst of the ring…

And here Blok gives himself away:

…And I am looking with an incomprehensible anxiety
Into the features of his wilted face.

In other words, Blok finds his own self in Hell. That’s why Bulgakov places his “twenty-year-old lad” in Hell, where he is observed by Margarita, the feminine side of Blok in the psychological thriller of Master and Margarita.
Blok begins his conversation with the youth emerging from the “web of darkness”:

…Tell me, why are you condemned to suffer,
And wonder around the circles of no return?..

What follows here is an out-of-this-world depiction of this dust:

…The slender features came into a disarray.
The burnt mouth avidly gulps the air,
And the voice speaks out of the void…

And here is what we read in Bulgakov:

“…But then something crashed downstairs in the colossal fireplace, and out of it jumped a gibbet with a semi-crumbled dust hanging from it. This dust got loose from the rope and hit the floor, and out of it emerged a black-haired handsome man in a tuxedo and lacquered shoes… At the same time, downstairs, out of the fireplace, there emerged a headless skeleton with a torn-off arm, hit the ground, and turned into a man in a tuxedo…”

Here Bulgakov follows A. S. Pushkin:

What are you, prosaic, fussing about?
Give me a thought whatever you like:
I’ll sharpen it at the end,
I’ll feather it with a flying rhyme,
I’ll put it on a tight bowstring,
I’ll make an arc of my supple bow,
And then I’ll send it wherever it flies,
To the detriment of our foe!

As I already wrote, Bulgakov learned how to write his prose from the great Russian poets, which allows us to say that Bulgakov’s prose, in his depiction of Satan’s Great Ball, can make any poet envious, and this is just one example of his prosaic genius.
Blok probably depicts his own life. –

Learn: I am subjected to a merciless torment
For having been on this sorrowful earth
Under the heavy burden of a relentless passion.
As soon as our city hides in darkness,
Tormented by a wave of soulless tune,
With a seal of crime upon my brow,
Like a fallen, disgraced maiden,
I’m seeking happy oblivions in wine…

Blok extols wine in many of his poems. In vino veritas!

The hour has struck of the punishing ire:
From the depth of an unseen dream,
There splashed, blinding and shining
Before me – a wondrous wife!

That is, not a woman, but a witch.
This is why in the 19th chapter of Master and Margarita, titled Margarita, Bulgakov calls her “a witch” without ever explaining how that happened.
And, as is often the case, the next part of Blok’s poem takes a totally unexpected turn:

In the evening jingle of the fragile wineglass,
In the intoxicated fog, having met momentarily,
With the only one who detested caresses,
I reached my first exultation!
I drowned my glances in her eyes!
And for the first time I issued a cry of passion!

Blok is describing how his hero is becoming a vampire:

…Thus had the moment come, unexpectedly soon,
And this here amethyst was covered in blood.
And I drank blood from the fragrant shoulders,
And the beverage was suffocating and resinous…

Having used the word “resinous,” Blok reminds the reader of the woman he had a vision of in his poem In the Dunes from the 1907 poetic cycle Free Thoughts, which I am analyzing in my chapter Strangers in the Night. It is with this wild woman that Blok is ready to join, in order to get into Hell.

“…But do not curse the strange tales
About how the incomprehensible dream went on…
A tongue of fire whistling shot above us…
And, chained together by immeasurable chains,
A certain whirlwind carried us into the underground world!..

Blok writes:

…She’s given to sense pain and remember the feast,
When every night to her silken shoulders
A languishing vampire bends down!

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment