Thursday, May 31, 2018

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DCCXX



Guests at Satan’s Great Ball.
(The 20-Year-Old Lad Matures.)
Posting #20.


Usually, the poet gives the people his works.
Blok gives himself. He simply portrays his
own life, which, fortunately for him, is so
wondrously rich in internal struggle,
catastrophes, and enlightenments.”

N. S. Gumilev on A. A. Blok.


Already in February 1903, Blok writes a poem about his wife’s betrayal. –

You have left for a rendezvous with your lover,
I’m alone. I’ll forgive. I’m silent.
You don’t know to whom you are praying,
He is playing and trifling with you…

Apparently, Blok was well aware of who his wife’s lover was, which is evidenced by the following lines:

“…You are giving yourself to him with passion;
It doesn’t matter, I am keeping the secret…

Blok closes this poem with the following four lines, showing that he is speaking not as a husband but as a poet:

...All that is fogginess in your heart
Will clear up in my quietude,
And when he abandons you,
You will confess to me only…

This very strange poem proves already that I am on the right track. Blok is writing about his wife.

In his next poem dated March 11, 1903, Blok writes the following:

I was dreaming merry thoughts,
I dreamt that I wasn’t alone.
I thought of a miracle come true…
The soul is filled with an unprecedented…
With me is spring thought,
I know that you aren’t alone.

Also present in this poem is the word “chudo,” “miracle.” M. Bulgakov calls the 20-year-old lad a “dreamer” and a “chudak,” “oddball.”
Already in the 2nd poem of the 5th cycle of Verses About a Fair Lady, Blok writes in June 1903:

I am awake, a thoughtful dreamer,
At the bed rest in secret sorcery.
Your features, a philosopher and sculptor,
I’ll recreate and pass them on to you.

And in the 6th cycle of Verses About a Fair Lady, Blok calls himself “chudak”:

He was greeted everywhere
In the streets on sleepy days.
He was walking and carrying his miracle,
Stumbling in the frosty shade…
He was marveled at, with laughter,
They said that he was a chudak…

Apparently, Blok used the word “chudo, miracle” to describe his own poetry, while he used the word “chudak, oddball” to describe himself. On this basis I am writing in my chapter Who is Who in Master that when the conversation between Ivan and master turns to “poet” and “chudo” on the second page of the 13th chapter of Master and Margarita, having learned that Ivan is a poet, master reacts in the following manner:

However as a miracle? All right, I am ready to accept it on faith. Are your verses any good? Say it yourself.
They are monstrous! – with a sudden courage and sincerity pronounced Ivan.”

This confirms my interpretation to the effect that Blok calls his poetry “chudo,” and calls himself “chudak.” Are your verses any good? Say it yourself.
This is Bulgakov’s interpretation, and considering that I am working on Bulgakov’s text in my work, my own interpretation coincides with Bulgakov’s interpretation.

Having presented my evidence, I am returning to Marina Tsvetaeva’s memoirs. –

“Also then at the zoo I found out that the blue cloak beloved to anguish by all Russia was the blue cloak of Lyubov Dmitriyevna [Mendeleeva, Blok’s wife].”

Here is Blok’s titleless poem opening his poetry cycle Retribution:

Of bravery, of heroism, of glory,
I was forgetting on the sorrowful earth
When your face in a simple frame
Was shining before me on the table…

But something happened between Blok and his wife:

...But the hour had come and you left the house.
I threw the covenant ring into the night.
You gave your destiny to another,
And I forgot the beautiful face.

In all likelihood, both Blok and Mendeleeva were walking through life according to their own individual ways. This is how Blok explains it:

The days were flying, whirling in a cursed swarm,
Wine and passion were ravaging my life…

In other words, Blok is confessing that he was neglecting his wife.

…And I remembered you before the prie-dieu,
And I was calling you, like I was calling my youth…

Blok is trying to exculpate himself:

…I was calling you, but you never looked back,
I was shedding tears, but you did not deign.
Sorrowfully, you wrapped yourself in a blue cloak,
And left your home into the soggy night…

Blok ends his poem almost like he started it:

…No more dreams of tenderness and glory,
All has passed away, the youth is gone!
Your face in its simple frame –
I had taken it off the table with my own hand.

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment