Sunday, May 27, 2018

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DCCXVI



Guests at Satan’s Great Ball.
(Emperor Rudolf.)
Posting #16.


…But all these strange creations,
Alone at home, he is reading by himself,
And afterwards, quite mindlessly,
He lights his fireplace with them…

M. Lermontov. The Journalist, The Reader, And The Writer.


(Continued from the previous posting.)

Unlike in Marina Tsvetaeva’s story, where the light never goes on, in Bulgakov’s Theatrical Novel,“the evil spirit assuming the form of an editor, conducted one of his unsophisticated magic tricks: he took from his portfolio an electric light bulb.”

An amazing skill displayed by Bulgakov here! No way can it be called plagiarism. Such things are merely clues! After all, Bulgakov has Marina Tsvetaeva present in his novel Master and Margarita, and through numerous tricks like this, he points to her presence there.
As for the fact that Bulgakov deliberately depicts Rudolfi as Mephistopheles, there is another scene in M. Tsvetaeva’s memoirs, pointing to that. At issue is the loss by Andrei Bely of his own revised manuscript of Gold in Azure:20 Years After. –

Lost, dropped, left, failed! In one of these cursed cafes to which I am condemned.

Andrei Bely explains to Marina Tsvetaeva that he was on the way to their meeting carrying his manuscript with him, as he did not want to upset her meeting with her husband. –

“You are still in Paradise, whereas I’m burning in Hell!

Here is the material starting which Bulgakov extensively uses in his works, and especially in Master and Margarita:

I didn’t want to bring that sulphurous Hell with the Doctor hiding in it – into your Paradise…

Here already, Hell is presented with a certain “Doktor” in it. Moreover, this Doktor turns out to be “conducting.”
I begin with “Sulphurous Hell.” One more unusual coincidence between Tsvetaeva and Bulgakov. Isn’t it a “sulphurous Hell” that Bulgakov is showing in his novella Diaboliada, especially when V. P. Korotkov is burning matches during the night?
Having revisited every café where he could have left “the labor of three months of work, three months! It had been a fusion of then [twenty years ago] and now, I’ve left twenty years of my life in some pub? In which of the seven?!” – and having found his manuscript in none of these places, Andrei Bely comes to the following conclusion:

But couldn’t this be the Doctor’s trick? Perhaps, he may have ordered it from out of there [from Hell] that my manuscript would vanish, like tumble from the chair and fall through the floor? So that I would never again write poetry, because from now on I would surely write not a single line anymore. You really do not know this man from Dornach. He is the devil.

Either Marina Tsvetaeva was writing her memoirs of Andrei Bely before his death in 1934, or Bulgakov was making his corrections to the novel Master and Margarita already after 1934, when these memoirs were apparently completed, I do not know, as I do not have and I am not using any of Bulgakov’s drafts, so that my thought does not become overwhelmed by all those false clues, which Bulgakov has set to trap the researcher. There are enough of them already in the final version of the novel.
But for now, I’m going to busy myself with the passage quoted above, while assuming that Bulgakov had an opportunity to get acquainted with at least excerpts from Marina Tsvetaeva’s memoirs about Andrei Bely.
It is quite possible too that Bulgakov may have heard bits and pieces of that from people returning to the USSR from abroad, like, for instance, from his second wife L. Belozerskaya who had been working together with her husband on the editorial board of a Russian journal in Berlin. It was L. Belozerskaya to whom Bulgakov dedicated his novel White Guard, the only time he dedicated a work of his to anybody whosoever. Even though all friends and acquaintances were trying to reassure Bulgakov’s third wife Yelena Sergeevna that she was Margarita, it was not true. Had it been so, Bulgakov would undoubtedly have dedicated “the novel of his life” to the “love of his life,” and yet it did not happen.
I am writing about this because by now I have ample proof that I am right. [See my earlier chapter Three Plays! Three Plays! Three Plays! – The Flight.]

And so, unlike Andrei Bely’s, master’s manuscripts were not lost. He burned them himself. But A. Bely’s words “tumbled from a chair and vanished” were altered by Bulgakov in his own fashion. In chapter 24, The Extraction of Master, having learned that master had written a novel about Pontius Pilate, Woland asks master to show it to him. Finding out that master had burned it, Woland replies:

Excuse me, but I don’t believe it. It cannot be. Manuscripts do not burn.
He turned to Begemot and said: Well, Begemot, get the novel here!
The Cat immediately jumped off his chair and everybody saw that he had been sitting on a thick pack of manuscripts…”

[As I have already explained, those were Kot’s own manuscripts. M. Yu. Lermontov was burning his own manuscripts, convinced that the reading public would not understand him.
And so it was even with such works of his that Lermontov did publish. They were not understood. How sad!
Lermontov believed in God with a sincere childlike faith. As D. S. Merezhkovsky writes about him, “he had a tender soul.”]

“…With a bow, the Cat handed the topmost manuscript to Woland.”

As the reader knows, the 13th chapter of Master and Margarita, The Appearance of the Hero, closes with master’s words:

“Ah no, no, replied the guest with a twitch of pain. I cannot remember my novel without a shudder.

In chapter 24, The Extraction of Master, master is even more adamant:

“After a silence, Woland spoke to master:
So it’s back to the Arbat basement? And who is going to write? What about the  dreams, the inspiration?
I have no dreams and I have no inspiration either, replied master. – I’m not interested in anything around me except her. – He put his hand on Margarita’s head again. – I’ve been broken, I am bored, and I want to be back to the basement.
And what about your novel? Pilate?
It’s hateful to me, that novel, replied master. – I have suffered too much because of it.
And to you I say, replied [Woland] with a smile, addressing master, – that your novel will still bring you more surprises.
This is very sad, said master...”

In other words, this Bulgakovian text is directly connected to Marina Tsvetaeva’s memoirs about Andrei Bely.

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment