Tuesday, May 1, 2018

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DCXCI



Varia.
Maksudov? Who?
Posting #1.


And any kinds of shadows will pass with the fire,
Contours of strange visions on the wall…

A. Blok. In the Corner of the Divan.


While working on Chapter 29 Joint Creativity, of Bulgakov’s novel Life of Monsieur de Moliere, I understood that there are three Russian poets present in the personage of master in Bulgakov’s last novel Master and Margarita. [See my chapter Who is Who in Master?] Working on this chapter, I could not help remembering the character of S. L. Maksudov from Bulgakov’s Theatrical Novel. I called my chapter on this novel: A Dress Rehearsal For Master And Margarita. I had been haunted by the thought that it was this personage of Maksudov that I had been unable to figure out.
But this time I was lucky, because simultaneously in several places I had started working on a theme that was scattered through different places, the theme of “Furniture.
And then it struck me that Bulgakov is making a large emphasis in the Theatrical Novel on “divan” [“sofa, couch”]. The point is that no matter what I was working on, I always needed to return to the poetry of the Russian poet of the Silver Age of Russian literature Alexander A. Blok. Thus, I was getting an ever-better understanding of Blok’s poetry. Going through all cycles of his poems, I realized that Blok was the only poet who was using the word “divan,” whereas the others did not use it at all.
Already on the 2nd page of Bulgakov’s Theatrical Novel, in my BVL edition, I encountered the word “divan.”

“Surely I should have written to Ilchin to have him come to me if he has business with me, but I must say that I was ashamed of my room. Imagine Ilchin entering the room and seeing the divan with a ripped covering and a coil sticking out!..”

Having come to Ilchin, director of the Student Stage of the Independent Theater, Maksudov is in for a big surprise:

“Ilchin drew me, with his arm around my waist, to an exactly the same divan that I had in my room. Even the iron coil in it was protruding just like in mine, in the middle… Why the sofa?”

Why the sofa?” I am answering this question a little bit later in this chapter.
And in the next 2nd chapter, “divan” appears already on the 1st page, in Maksudov’s room.

“My left side was aching because of the coil, fear was gripping my heart.”

How simple, how elegant! By not using the word “divan,” Bulgakov depicts a divan through a single coil,, and even simpler and more mysterious, by a pain in the left side “because of the coil.” Bulgakov is a master of his craft, indeed!
Bulgakov shows his own divan in the short story of a certain Likospastov in the titleless 7th chapter of the Theatrical Novel:

“Reading a short story describing a certain journalist… I recognized the divan with a sticking out coil, the blotting paper on the table… In other words, that was me described in the story! The same pants, the head drawn into the shoulders, and wolfish eyes… In a word, ME!..”

Aside from a splendid literary device, a puzzle is hidden in this passage, which I will solve in my chapter Mysticism.

Turning now to the poetry of Alexander Blok, I’d like to quote a passage from his 1904-1908 cycle The City. In a titleless 1906 poem, Blok writes:

All to whom I would come,
Had a scarlet cross-shaped mouth,
The scowl of the teeth showed sadness,
The distance of the rooms swayed measuredly
Where chaos ruled…
They vaguely remembered the steps,
The secret fear of falling down…
I was constricted by the divan, like by a snake,
An inquisitive guest – I knew
That the velvety fog of the rooms
Was poisoning my soul.
But ruining my tender soul,
Sticking a knife into myself,
I recognized you in my torments,
You, glittering lie!

In that same cycle The City, in a drinking bout, Blok writes:

The heart will never cease rejoicing
With a quiet joy,
Knowing that you’d come,
Sit down on the old divan,
And say the simple words, under the soft evening sun,
After my nighttime drinking bout…

And also in the cycle Snow Mask Blok has a poem, which the poet has given the title In the Corner of the Divan. In this charming poem Blok writes:

Trust me, there is no sun in this world anymore.
Trust only me, night heart. I am a poet!
I’ll tell you tales whichever you like,
And I’ll bring you masks whichever you like.
And any kinds of shadows will pass with the fire,
Contours of strange visions on the wall…

Returning to Bulgakov’s Theatrical Novel, Maksudov finally gets into the office of Gavriil Stepanovich, in order to sign a contract on his play Black Snow. Only in the 9th chapter It Has Started Maksudov sits down on a divan, and what a divan! Bulgakov writes:

“A colossal divan with cushions and a Turkish hookah near it... I wanted to say: Do stage my play! As for myself, I want nothing, except that I can come here every day, lay down on this sofa for a couple of hours, breathing in the honeyed smell of tobacco, listening to the chiming of the clock, and fantasizing!

But has the reader noticed how Bulgakov, through Maksudov, echoes Blok’s “after my nighttime drinking bout” in my just quoted above passage from Bulgakov’s Theatrical Novel? [See my posted chapter Dress Rehearsal for Master and Margarita.]
Having received a contract and having made a typed copy of his play, Maksudov goes to the Director of the Independent Theater [Moscow Arts Theater] Ivan Vasilievich [K. S. Stanislavsky] to read his play to him. Bulgakov writes:

“I was in an agitated state of mind and I could not see anything except for the divan on which Ivan Vasilievich was sitting… and I myself sat in an armchair.”

One more riddle! I will return to Gavriil Stepanovich later, showing the importance of Furniture.

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment