Sunday, January 28, 2018

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DLV



The Bard. Genesis.
M. A. Berlioz.
Posting #38.


…The voice of passion was like the sound of horn…

Alexander Blok. In the Dunes.


Blok’s poem In the Dunes shows us a woman who takes charge.

She crossed her beastly gaze
With my beastly gaze and laughed
With high-pitched laughter, and she threw at me
A tuft of grass and a golden handful of sand.
Then she jumped up and leaping rushed down the slope…
I chased her far…

And also in Bulgakov it is Margarita who takes charge. The first time –

She turned from Tverskaya into a side street, and here she looked back… I can assure you that she saw me alone, and she looked not so much troubled as even sort of pained.

Bulgakov is an even better sketch artist than Blok is. We find nothing about the appearance of this woman other than her wearing a black coat, carrying yellow spring flowers and having a pained expression in her eyes.
Just like in Blok’s Dunes a woman appears out of nowhere, Bulgakov’s Margarita also appears unexpectedly for master. If Blok’s woman runs over the sand into a pine grove, Bulgakov’s Margarita turns into a side street, expecting master to follow. If Blok starts chasing the woman with “resinous hair,” Bulgakov’s master follows Margarita into a side street.
Blok writes about the chase –                               

I shouted and hunted her like she were an animal…
Having left her light footprints in the rolling dunes,
She vanished among the pines…

Only after reading Blok did I understand why Bulgakov writes in the last 32nd chapter Farewell and Eternal Refuge, as the reader says farewell to master and Margarita. –

Listen to the soundlessness, Margarita was saying to master, and the sand rustled under her bare feet…”

Bulgakov does not say whether she was leaving light footprints in the sand. But in their first meeting –

“Obeying this yellow sign, [master] also turned into the side street, and followed in her tracks.

What kind of tracks were those? Blok’s woman was leaving tracks in the sand, whereas master and Margarita were walking over asphalt. Moreover, Bulgakov writes:

“We were walking up a twisting dull side street in silence. I was on one side and she was on the other.”

In other words, Bulgakov takes the word “tracks” (“footprints”) from Blok’s poem In the Dunes, and that is how far it goes.
Master and Margarita are walking in silence. –

“...I also turned into the side street... We walked silently, I on one side and she on the other. I was tormented because it seemed to me that it was necessary to talk to her, and I was alarmed that I would not be able to utter a single word and then she would be gone and I would never see her again... She was the first to speak…”

In his poem In the Dunes Blok writes that he was –

…Yelling and chasing her away…
Next, yelling and calling her to me,
The voice of passion was like the sound of horn…

Here yet again Bulgakov to the rescue as he is using a certain word from Blok’s lexicon. In order to figure this out, I invite the reader to leap from the poem In the Dunes into another poem, untitled, from the poetic cycle Crossroads, which Blok wrote in 1903.
I confess that it is one of my favorite Blokian poems. In it, Blok describes how he comes to a party, just in order to see a woman who interests him.

I walked among the guests in a black tuxedo,
I shook hands, and while smiling, I knew
That the clock will strike, someone will make me signs,
Someone will understand that I’ve seen someone…

Isn’t it true that the expression “to make signs” is odd, to say the least? And, even stranger, Bulgakov follows Blok in this:
“Obeying the yellow sign…” – that is, the acacia flowers in Margarita’s hands.
Which is another proof that Bulgakov uses Blok’s lexicon.
I am far from pulling isolated words out of the texts I am analyzing and superimposing them on each other. This work goes on within the contexts of both Blok and Bulgakov. And when we find several such coincidences in the same context, then the task has been solved.
Differently from A. S. Pushkin who has practically none of the poems contextually succeeding each other, in their meaning, starting with M. Yu. Lermontov, it is already another story, which becomes a poetical norm. Thus, he has several poems titled Demon, a number of Nights, etc.
As for the Russian poets of early 20th century, especially such as A. A. Blok and N. S. Gumilev, their poems are much harder to comprehend without realizing their continuity. I am showing that in my analysis of an extremely interesting poem by Blok, titled Night Violet, and also of his poetic cycle Verses About a Fair Lady.
Likewise, in the poem I Walked Among the Guests in a Black Tuxedo, we are bound to find answers to quite a few questions.

You will come up and press my hand painfully.
You’ll say: ‘Stop it, you are laughable!’
But I shall understand, from your voice, from the sound,
That you are afraid of me more than of all the rest.

Even up to now it is difficult to realize that Blok writes these lines about a woman. –

…I will cry out, helpless and pale,
Then I’ll come to, at the door with a brass handle,
I’ll see them all, and weakly smile.

What we have here already on the part of A. A. Blok is not merely his poetic imagination, but an ability to penetrate the role of the person participating in this theatrical actor study on the highest level of the great Russian actor and stage director K. S. Stanislavsky.
In front of the reader’s eyes, Blok is playing out a scene from a theatrical play. As I already wrote on other occasions, Bulgakov was a master  of such studies, one episode with the fat striped cat in the Theatrical Novel speaking volumes on this subject. In order to write such poems as Blok has been famous for, a poet must insert himself into the action. Blok never conceals it, and he describes himself in the following 1907 poem from the 1906-1908 cycle Faina.

Work, work, work:
You will become a hideous hunchback…
Come holiday, others will have it sweet,
Another one will be singing your songs,
With others the undaunted soldier’s wife
Will enter, arm on hip, the village circle dance…

Next, Blok starts teasing the woman’s soldier husband:

You should know it about yourself that you would have danced
No worse than anyone else – that’s how!
…That both in height and in stature you are built
More imposing and handsome than the others…

And he even picks a fitting match for him:

That young woman is taller than other undaunted women!
Her black eyebrows are thin and intoxicated are her stern words…

And only in the last strophe it becomes clear that Blok is writing this poem in jest.

Oh sweet it is, how sweet, so sweet it is
To be working until dawn,
Knowing that the undaunted soldier’s wife
Has gone out of the village to join a circle dance…

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment