Saturday, January 20, 2018

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DXXXVII



The Bard. Genesis.
M. A. Berlioz.
Posting #20.


…Two other iron-cast creations
Attracted me by their magic beauty:
They were the images of two demons…

A. S. Pushkin. Untitled. 1830.


More of the unmistakable Mayakovsky:

I see that Christ has fled from the icon.
Crying, the mire was kissing
The weather-beaten edge of the chiton.
I am yelling: Sun, my father!
At least you have mercy,
Do not torture!

Yes, the reader has long recognized V. V. Mayakovsky as the prototype of Mark Krysoboy. In his poem A Cloud in Pants, Mayakovsky writes:

…My soul (in the tatters of the torn-to-shreds cloud)
In the burnt-out sky on the rusted cross of the belfry…
Time! At least you, the limping God-painter,
Paint my face for the infirmary of the age’s cripple!
I am alone like the last eye in a man going to the blind.

Bulgakov notices in Mayakovsky’s poems the poet’s faith in Jesus Christ, the Russian Christ. And this is exactly why Woland comes out so sympathetic toward Christ and master in Bulgakov’s Master and Margarita. These two characters also have the same prototypes in the novel: Gumilev and Blok.
Also, in accordance with the wish of V. V. Mayakovsky himself, Bulgakov equips Woland with just one eye and provides him with a single demonic companion: Azazello. In Mayakovsky’s play Mysteria- Buff, the poet produces the following list of demons:

1.      Beelzebub. [Bulgakov’s Woland.]
2.      Über-Demon. [Bulgakov’s Azazello, Mayakovsky’s contemporary S. A. Yesenin.]

Considering that the idea of the two principal devils comes to Mayakovsky from Pushkin, it is quite possible, and perhaps even probable, that the devil’s name Beelzebub comes to him from Andrei Bely’s poetry. [Here is an explanation why Bulgakov uses certain features of Andrei Bely in his portrait of Woland.]
In particular, from Bely’s poem The Evening Sacrifice in the poetry collection Crimson Mantle in Thorns:

May you be cursed, Beelzebub,
The sly tempter, –
Haven’t you whispered in my ear
That I am the New Savior?
Oh, cursed be, be cursed!..”

In an untitled poem (1830: “At the Beginning of Life I Remember a School…”) A. S. Pushkin depicts the images of two demons:

…Two other iron-cast creations
Attracted me by their magic beauty:
They were the images of two demons.
One of them (the idol of Delphi), a youthful visage,
Was furious and filled with terrible pride,
He breathed a power not of this earth.
The other one, effeminate and lascivious,
A questionable, false ideal –
A magic demon – false but beautiful.
In front of them I often lost myself…

M. Bulgakov does not follow his idol Pushkin in this, but creates more fitting characterizations of Woland and Azazello, considering that the prototypes of these two Bulgakovian characters are the famous Russian poets Mayakovsky and Yesenin, plus in Woland’s case with features of another Russian poet of the Silver Age: Andrei Bely.
Still, Bulgakov (like Mayakovsky) does follow Pushkin in the number of demons: there are two of them.
The first, Senior Demon, Woland is depicted as mocking and ironic, but without any lust in him, which is unusual.
On the other hand, the other one, the Lesser Demon Azazello is depicted in the fawnish kind of way, as a lustful goat-legged creature surrounded by a swarm of “transparent mermaids” and “naked witches” (in the river scene).
As for Azazello’s red hair, I can suggest just for the fun of it, a line from Pushkin’s letter to his wife:

So how is my toothless Puskina? [sic! Pushkin is thus referring to his little daughter Masha.] How about those teeth! And what about Sashka the read-head? [Pushkin’s little son.] Who has he taken after, I wonder? I never expected this from him.

And so, Bulgakov makes Azazello a red-head!

In the next letter to his wife, Pushkin writes:

And yes, my angel, please do not flirt with men. You know how I detest everything that smells of a Moscow mademoiselle, everything which is not comme il faut, everything which is vulgar. If upon my return I am to find that your lovely aristocratic tone has changed [and here it comes!] – I’ll divorce you, as Christ is my witness, and then I shall enlist as a soldier, out of grief! [sic!]

And he also writes:

First of all, I am growing a beard: Mustache and a beard are flattering to a good man. [An old Russian saying.]

This fact also speaks in my favor, remembering that Bulgakov’s Legate is sporting a beard.
As for the centurion Mark Krysoboy, he, naturally, has none of the shining golden lion heads on his chest, but he does have silver appliqués. Which also speaks in favor of Mayakovsky’s Epilogue to the play Vladimir Mayakovsky (could you expect anything less from... Vladimir Mayakovsky?) –

“Vladimir Mayakovsky:
I was writing all of this about you, poor rats [sic!]
I was sorry I did not have a tit:
I would have fed you from that mamma!
These days I ‘ve kind of dried up. I am a holy fool of sorts.
But come to think of it, who and where would have given to thoughts
Such a superhuman dimension?!

This is how it happened that Bulgakov made him a Ratkiller (Krysoboy) and hung silver appliques lion heads on his shirted chest.

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment