Tuesday, March 13, 2018

GALINA SEDOVA. A CHAPTER ON BULGAKOV. DCXXXII



Alpha And Omega.
Posting #19.


…And as a regular book rat
My Byron stood amidst this haze…

A. Blok. Retribution.


Continuing the striking parallel between the two scenes in Pontius Pilate and White Guard (see the previous posting) the Colonel himself explains the situation to Captain Studzinsky:

I know what you want to ask, and I’ll answer it myself. –It’s rotten. Worse happens, but seldom. Now, is it clear?
Yes, sir! [replied Studzinsky].
Malyshev considerably lowered his voice: Understandably, I have no wish to remain in this stone tomb for the duration of a suspicious night, and – God forbid! – cause the death of 200 boys, 120 of whom cannot even shoot!

Bulgakov writes that Studzinsky kept his silence. His further reaction shows that he felt very uneasy. He was unsure of himself and of the situation in which he found himself. He was overcome by doubt.
When Colonel Malyshev started greeting the artillerists, “Studzinsky, from behind Malyshev’s back, like a disquieted stage director, frightenedly waved his hand, and the ranks of the artillerists responded with a thunderous echo.”

With words like “disquieted” and “frightenedly” Bulgakov shows the state of mind of K. Balmont about to leave Russia. And indeed, having received the permission to leave under the signature of Lunacharsky, he went to Paris in 1920, telling Marina Tsvetaeva on his departure:

And you, Marina, tell Valery Bryusov that I am not sending him my farewell regards!

While Bryusov remained in Russia, where he died in 1924 at the age of 51, Balmont lived abroad until 1942, when he died at the age of 75.

***


As for the character of Staff-Captain Studzinsky, the sly Bulgakov had fooled me again, like in his Theatrical Novel. Aside from Balmont, another Russian poet of the Silver Age emerges here. Bulgakov confuses the researcher by the word “a Pole,” and also by “incorrect accentuations” in Russian words. In the process of rereading my chapter Alpha and Omega, I remembered a previously unneeded poem by Blok about his “sister” and “Warsaw.” I found it in the 1907-1914 poetry collection Iambs with some difficulty:

When you and I met,
I was ill, with a rusted soul.
Sister, destined by fate.
The whole world seemed Warsaw to me!
I remember: I was a poet during the day,
And at night (a spirit of free life) –
Over the black Vistula – black delirium…
I wish I had the right to erase from my memory
The damp hellhole of your anguish
And ennui, oh gloomy Warsaw!..

This dateless and titleless poem must have been the precursor of Blok’s long poem Retribution, which has unfortunately remained unfinished, not the way it had been conceived by the poet. It intended to present three generations of one family. Portraying his father as a “demon” who had bedeviled his mother’s head, Blok writes:

…And as a regular book rat
My Byron stood amidst this haze;
He earned excellent praise
With his brilliant dissertation,
And accepted a chair in Warsaw…
He modestly offered her his hand,
Tying her to his destiny…
Anguish! Scarce are news from daughter,
Then suddenly she returns…
What’s with her? How thin is the transparent figure!
Emaciated, worn-out, pale…
And a baby lying in her arms…

Apparently, here Blok is lamenting his father, mother, and himself, using a very probable literary interpretation, connecting his “demon” father and his angel mother whom Blok loved very much. His father dies in the third chapter and his son comes to Warsaw for his funeral. (See my chapter Strangers in the Night.)

So, this is why Bulgakov calls Staff-Captain Studzinsky “a Pole”! Pointing to the fact that Blok’s features are contained in Studzinsky’s character are the following words in Bulgakov’s novel White Guard:

“...Studzinsky, from behind Malyshev’s back, like a disquieted stage director, frightenedly waved his hand, and the ranks of the artillerists responded with a thunderous echo.”

As far as I know, Balmont wrote no plays, but Blok did: The Unknown; The Rose and the Cross; The Farce.
Also pointing to the presence of A. A. Blok in A. B. Studzinsky is the fact that Lieutenant V. V. Myshlayevsky comes to his help. In Mayakovsky’s long poem It’s Good!, the poet comes to Petrograd where he meets a soldier on the square:

“…And here… near the tongues of fire,
A soldier is warming up.
The fire fell upon the soldier’s eyes,
Lying down on the tuft of his hair.
I recognized him, was surprised, and said:
Hello, Alexander Blok.

As the reader may remember, it was precisely because of these words of Mayakovsky that I realized that master in Master and Margarita has a prototype and that prototype is Blok. Until then I had been at a loss.
But as it turns out, Bulgakov introduced Blok already in his first novel White Guard. Also pointing in the same direction is the fact that the news about the death of the two great poets, Blok and Gumilev, was brought to Moscow in August 1921 from Petrograd by none other than Mayakovsky, who was devastated by this double-tragedy. (See Marina Tsvetaeva’s letter to Anna Akhmatova in my chapter A Swallow’s Nest of Luminaries: Mr. Lastochkin.)
It can be easily explained why I first decided in favor of Balmont. Before starting my work on the chapter Alpha and Omega, I finished Master and Margarita with the chapter The Garden, where I am analyzing the subnovel Pontius Pilate. As the researcher is aware of already, the character of Aphranius also contains features of two Russian poets: Balmont and Gumilev [See my chapter The Garden].
And so, yet another Bulgakovian puzzle has been solved! Bulgakov just loves to play games with his readers, turning his works into rebuses. In such a way he has become an absolutely unique writer with out-of-this-world ideas to speak for that. There was a good reason why he confused me with Studzinsky. Even at the end of the first part of White Guard he plays with the researcher in order to convince him that the prototype of V. V. Myshlayevsky has to be K. D. Balmont. Just because the words of Myshlayevsky “Gentlemen, allow me to set the school building on fire!” can be easily mistaken for Balmont’s words. The reason is literally in our face: One of his poetry collections is titled Burning Buildings.
And also, Bulgakov’s comparison of Studzinsky to a restless stage director points to the Russian poet A. Blok because of his three plays.
And finally, Studzinsky’s name Alexander Bronislavovich, produces the initials A. B., same as in Alexander Blok: A. B.

To be continued…

***



No comments:

Post a Comment